Has a book changed your life?

Comments

• Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also read "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" and loved it :D especially 42 ;)
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bible.
  • bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien. I grew up in rural Ireland and reading that book just spoke to me in so many ways. I didn't realise until years later that it was banned when I read it. A couple I used to babysit for had an illegal copy. It is probably very dated now but at the time it was just such a 'real' novel. I must read it again and see if it does actually stand the test of time.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it changed my life exactly, but Life of Pi changed the way I think about religion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    'The Fault In Our Stars' by John Green seriously changed my viewpoint on how I value my life
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet, but still time.
  • RamblingsidRamblingsid Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Good to see George Orwell's name come up. For me it was The Road to Wigan Pier. That was followed shortly by the then four volume Penguin Books set of Essays Letters and Journalism - which included all his essays I think.

In my view one of the great writers of english.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Outsider by Colin Wilson

I finally figured what about life wasn't quite right and why I didn't fit in. A great book but sadly it doesn't answer my big question at the end.
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes made me realise the every day problems of disabled people.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember the exact book now, but as a small child I liked being read to, but wasn't interested in reading. I could read, but wouldn't, however much I was encouraged or praised or had books recommended to me. Then one Friday my mum brought me home a Secret Seven book and I thought the picture on the front looked really exciting. I think I was about 7 or 8. She refused to read it to me, even though I begged. So eventually I started reading it, and before I knew it I'd spent the entire weekend with my nose in a book, and by Monday I was begging for the next one, and another and another, and that was it, I was a bookworm.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    No but the very best have changed the way I look at life.
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    The book I feel I keep coming back to is Mrs Dalloway, I don't even particularly enjoy the actual reading of it, but the ideas in it I find fascinating and relevant to me in so many ways.

Also Wuthering Heights is the novel that I read as a teenager and made me stop reading fantasy books and onto classic novels and now I only really like domestic fiction, I can't really read fantasy and take it seriously anymore.
  • nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Touching the Void by Joe Simpson :)
    Wouldn't say it changed my life but it did make an impression on me, not least about just getting on with things and not complaining about stuff:D
    It is, of course, a GCSE English course book now so every year poor old Joe gets inundated on twitter with abuse about his book:D
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,417
    Forum Member
    NickS7 wrote: »
    I don't know about 'changed my life', but a lot of books have had a deep influence on me.

Same here, but

The Women's Room which I read in my early twenties did make me see some things differently.

At that time I was profoundly affected by the books of Carlos Castaneda too but I can't remember why. I picked one up years later and thought it was rubbish :D
  • David_QuintonDavid_Quinton Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Yes it has, and started me on a twenty-year love affair with the series. I fell in love with The Eye of the World, and through that have joined i discussions on websites. It altered what I read as well, before that I only ever read thrillers. After I started reading fantasy as well. But, that single book changed me a lot.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Stars Look Down by A.J.Cronin.
    A simple tale of human greed and
    corruption,versus simplicity and honour.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    The Fault In Our Stars and Looking For Alaska.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enid Blyton's Willow Farm/Cherry Tree Farm series did when I was about - I loved those books so much and was so sad when I finished them and the stories were over. Then my dad suggested I could write more if I wanted to - and I've been writing (mainly pointless fiction!) ever since.

Also, To Kill a Mockingbird has in a way. I often wonder what Atticus would do in certain situations...
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord of the Rings. It made me value loyalty, courage and hope.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also, To Kill a Mockingbird has in a way. I often wonder what Atticus would do in certain situations...

Actually that's a good point. I hadn't realised I do it, but when I'm struggling with things I often ask myself what Flora Poste (Cold Comfort Farm) would do, and try to do that.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member

Not really but some have helped me. For example, Tony Buzan's Use Your Head book (see http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/tony+buzan/use+your+head/7096341/) has been a great help over the years in terms of helping with studying, revision, note taking and exams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member

Not really but some have helped me. For example, Tony Buzan's Use Your Head book (see http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/tony+buzan/use+your+head/7096341/) has been a great help over the years in terms of helping with studying, revision, note taking and exams.

I hope youre right - i just bought this on amazon on your recommendation!
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins helped me reinforce a few things about my own beliefs in my head. Superb book.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How To Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie. It taught me how tiny elements in the way we speak and behave can have either a positive or negative effect on others, which in turn determines how they will treat you back.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hobbit changed my life. Before I read it at the age of 8 I wasn't particularly good academically, I didn't read much at all and my grades were correspondingly average to poor. The reason for this was because I was utterly disinterested in the books/stories that my parents and teachers wanted me to read (Roald Dahl, Famous 5 etc) so I didn't even try.

Then one day I came across a copy of The Hobbit with a beautiful dragon on the cover in gold leaf and being obsessed with mythology at the time I picked it up and started reading it (despite it being much thicker than any book I'd previously read), then when I'd finished that I moved on to the Lord Of The Rings... it took me about a year to read them all but by the time I'd finished my reading age was off the charts, my school work was at the top end of the class and I'd discovered a love of reading that remains with me today.

I can safely say my life would be completely different if I hadn't read The Hobbit.