Quicktime Mac not playing avi's

I just got a new MacBook and installed Divx and Flip4Mac to play AVI files in Quicktime.

I have both of these installed on my other MacBook and avi movies play fine in Quicktime.

However on the new MB, when I open an avi, I don't get the usual 'A Codec is required' (though I did get this message before installing Flip4Mac and Divx), I just get a screen with a white bar saying Converting and does nothing at all. http://imageshack.us/a/img89/1718/dmab.png

It certainly isn't doing converting of any sort so anyone know how to resolve this?

I'm playing videos with vlc just now but would prefer to use QT.

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen that window before. But I recommend installing Perian (the download link is next to the swiss army knife) . Been using it for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Never seen that window before. But I recommend installing Perian (the download link is next to the swiss army knife) . Been using it for years.

Okay, I removed Divx and Flip4Mac and installed Perian but still getting the same Converting screen. Usually videos would either play or spit out an error so I don't know what this flipping screen is about.. mp4 files play fine :confused:
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just stick with VLC. Best player anyway.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the new VLC clunky, but you'll get anything to play in it.

For most things I use MPlayerX, easier to use and slicker. VLC is my fall-back
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee-Mc wrote: »
    Okay, I removed Divx and Flip4Mac and installed Perian but still getting the same Converting screen. Usually videos would either play or spit out an error so I don't know what this flipping screen is about.. mp4 files play fine :confused:
    You sure the video itself isn't suspect?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I like VLC (ugly interface though) but it's annoying me that QT isn't working.

I've tried several different videos, which all work in VLC but get the silly Converting message in QT. If I remove all of the codecs (Perian, Divx etc) then the message appears telling me that QT doesn't support the format and at the same time, 'Converting...' still appears in the background.

After installing the codecs, I no longer get the 'not supported' message so it's definitely recognising that the codecs are installed. I've found nothing on Google as to what the message is and why it is displayed.

I have the Apple care plan so I might send an email to Apple support.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flip4Mac is only for playing WMV files via QT, so you can forget about that one.
    Perian is all you need to play any other file in QT (with the expcetion of MKV), you don't need DIVX installed.

Bear in mind though that Perian is no longer supported and is not in development any more. They also say that it may or may not work correctly with OSX 10.8.

All I have is Perian installed and QT plays all the files fine in 10.8, however i've had it installed for a while so it's possible something has changed in the latest 10.8.x release which breaks it for new installs.