Little brown beetles in the house??!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone help ~ we've started getting little brown (occassionally flying) beetles in the house, and I don't know what they are or how to get rid of them!

They're about 3 mm long, dark brown (maybe even black)quite slow moving, and don't attempt to scarper of you go to squish them. We keep finding their tiny little corpses on the windowsill in one of the bedrooms, there's a few each day so it doesn't seem like they have much of a lifespan.

Has anyone else had these, or know what they might be and how to get rid of them?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they look like coffee beans?

I had a similar problem in my last house, and in my new house I get tiny little ones!! #shudders#

Sorry, no help, I know!
  • jerryjerry Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Sounds like woodworm
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jerry wrote: »
    Sounds like woodworm

I was going to say the same thing.
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go get some insecticide from a DIY store, and give the area a liberal dusting.

Or give your local council's pest control department a call, they will offer advice.

NB Most pesticides are extramly harmfull to dogs and fish, be carefull.
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Can anyone help ~ we've started getting little brown (occassionally flying) beetles in the house, and I don't know what they are or how to get rid of them!

They're about 3 mm long, dark brown (maybe even black)quite slow moving, and don't attempt to scarper of you go to squish them. We keep finding their tiny little corpses on the windowsill in one of the bedrooms, there's a few each day so it doesn't seem like they have much of a lifespan.

Has anyone else had these, or know what they might be and how to get rid of them?

I got them to have you got any in the bedroom ? someone told me once theyre larch ladybirds
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    I was going to say the same thing.

Me three.

Check for small holes in any wooden Items and pray we are wrong.:(

Clicky
    Forum Member
    Mine dont look like that mine got a small roundish body I get them in my hands and throw them outside
  • lisa02lisa02 Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Extension/DiagnosticLab/IDLFS/BedBugs/images/Bedbugs-029.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Extension/DiagnosticLab/IDLFS/BedBugs/BedBugs.html&h=1440&w=2160&sz=248&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=iPWdWt422m0Q9M:&tbnh=100&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbed%2Bbugs%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Do they look like this?

Those are bed bugs, carbon dioxide makes them active. They are usually found in dark places. They are usually in dark crevices, under sofas, etc.

Hoovering around the area daily and using some sort of pest control should get rid of them.
    Forum Member
    na they're nothing like that either it's like a baby ladybird with a hard shell with a browny black shell and then have wings like a ladybird cant find any today
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Could they be carpet beetles? Just google it for a picture!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    welshsarah wrote: »
    na they're nothing like that either it's like a baby ladybird with a hard shell with a browny black shell and then have wings like a ladybird cant find any today

No idea how to do a link I'm afraid, but have a search on the web for carpet beetles. If it is them then have a look under furniture etc and have a good hoover round. Make sure to go right into any gaps between carpet and skirting. Also if you have an unused chimney they could be coming from a birds nest. We had them in our rented house and it got so bad the floor used to be covered in larvae.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sounds like those tiny black beetles that you sometimes get all over a white shirt in the summer if you're out on your bike, you know the one's?
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    It's sounds like those tiny black beetles that you sometimes get all over a white shirt in the summer if you're out on your bike, you know the one's?

I think I know the ones you mean - we used to call them corn jacks, but I can't find any reference to them on google.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Sounds like carpet beetles to me.

We had them in a previous flat. Harmless, but annoying.

http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/acatalog/Pest_Control_Direct_Carpet_Beetle_20.html

If you ever find these:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/science-facilities/palaeo-conservation-unit/shared/pictures/preventative/woolly_bear.html

as well, then its definitely carpet beetles.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they Biscuit beetles?
    http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=biscuit+beetle&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

My OH gets those a lot in his kitchen. We find a lot of the larvae bodies too (like wee stripey worms).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've heard they come off birds. I get the occasional one or two. My cousin got an infestation and had to be fumigated. Some sort of insect spray would probably clear them up.
  • Cunny FuntCunny Funt Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had these before, I called out pest control and they said they come from birds nests... they are harmless though, just spray some fly spray around the room and they'll soon go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I found a family of them once in a bag of potatoes! Little things took up home in the bottom of the kitchen cupboard before I found tehm! I think they're harmless but not nice!

...I now think they were biscuit beetles having seen the post above.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I washed one of those biscuit beetles down the bathroom sink yesterday!! At last I now know their name. First time I've ever seen them in this house and I've been here years now. I remember years ago in shared student digs I used to find them in/under one of my beds and all around the bedroom :eek:
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, we had these in our old flat years ago. The bug itself looked like the carpet beetle pix on this thread but the larvae were not hairy. They were greyish white. We had them in a small back bedroom which was an extension to the flat which was coming away from the main building and we had a lot of damp. Also used to find them under the fridge whenever I pulled out the white goods to hoover behind them. We never did find out what they were and because I have asthma were reluctant to use insect sprays. We moved out of the flat before we gutted it and redecorated it for rental. In the meantime we had mice and they got rid of the beetles for us! The extension was rebuilt and carpeted and the people living there have never reported these beasties as having returned, so I can only assume they were something to do with the damp.
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eww have you figured out what they are yet OP? They sound horrid! I don't like any creepie crawlies. I bet I start finding these now I've read this thread :D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure you'll find that they're carpet beetles, I think they're also known as woolly bears (or maybe that's the larva)!

I found a couple last week, though one on a wall and the other on a windowsill.

I've always seen them around and they never seem to do any harm, neither are they scary - they're more like tiny brown ladybirds.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like carpet beatles to me. My friend had them and they were pretty gross. Sounds like you need to hoover under the sofa and in dark places more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I am experiencing similar beetles on my windowsills they just over one millimetre in size did you find how to get rid of them Henry Simpson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I am experiencing similar beetles on my windowsills they just over one millimetre in size did you find how to get rid of them Henry Simpson

Henry this thread is 5 years old. Try starting up a new thread for advice. Sorry I can't help and welcome to ds. :)