Gazza back in rehab

Comments

• whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    axlgod wrote: »
    He tried everything to kick his addiction including rehab, but as a hardcore junkie, he always relapsed. (one near fatal overdose left him clinically dead for 4 minutes).
    After many failed attempts to go clean, he literally woke one morning & quit. That was in 1992.

There will be help for Gazza, but ultimately, it's down to him & him only.

sorry to be pedantic but why was he in rehab around 2001 then, or is that not correct?
    sorry axlgod just saw your reply, I guess wiki must be wrong
    One month after the divorce from Brandt,[citation needed] Sixx married another Playboy Playmate, actress Donna D'Errico.[1] Sixx and D'Errico have one daughter, Frankie-Jean Mary (b. January 2, 2001).[citation needed] D'Errico has a son, Rhyan, from a previous relationship. They separated shortly after their daughter's birth, and reconciled months later when Sixx completed rehab. They separated again on April 27, 2006 and divorced in June 2007, with D'Errico claiming irreconcilable difference

just read another thing
    Sixx might not have been entirely honest during the 2007 court hearings to divide the property assets with his ex-wife Donna D’Errico when he told the court he had not used drugs nor even drank since his last trip to rehab in 2001.
    so I think somebody is telling fibs
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be great if Tony Adams could get him involved with his charity when he comes out, to give him some purpose and a feeling of being useful.
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    It would be great if Tony Adams could get him involved with his charity when he comes out, to give him some purpose and a feeling of being useful.

that would be great, like you say just to give him some purpose and reason to stay healthy, seems like the crux in all this
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've worked with people with addiction problems. Unless the person reaches that moment where they themselves say "enough", they aren't on the road to recovery. Even when they do, it's tough enough. :(

Most sensible post. addicts can attend as much or as many rehabs as they like, but unless they actually reached tthe point of understanding that their addiction is their problem and not someone elses to cure then rehab is just an interim pause. Many addicts never get better because they never can take personal responsibility both for their addiction or their behaviour, some do.
    I have known 2 addicts. 1 drugs, 1 drink. Both cleaned up without rehab.
    When Gazza sobered up in jail to tthe knowlege he had battered his wife that should have been a key trigger in waking up to his responsibility. It didnt and nor has any of his subsuquent actions.
    He seems to think the answer lies with others not himself. Im not hopeful.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    sorry to be pedantic but why was he in rehab around 2001 then, or is that not correct?
    sorry axlgod just saw your reply, I guess wiki must be wrong
    One month after the divorce from Brandt,[citation needed] Sixx married another Playboy Playmate, actress Donna D'Errico.[1] Sixx and D'Errico have one daughter, Frankie-Jean Mary (b. January 2, 2001).[citation needed] D'Errico has a son, Rhyan, from a previous relationship. They separated shortly after their daughter's birth, and reconciled months later when Sixx completed rehab. They separated again on April 27, 2006 and divorced in June 2007, with D'Errico claiming irreconcilable difference

just read another thing
    Sixx might not have been entirely honest during the 2007 court hearings to divide the property assets with his ex-wife Donna D’Errico when he told the court he had not used drugs nor even drank since his last trip to rehab in 2001.
    so I think somebody is telling fibs

Yes, 'someone' is. A google will easily find pics of him drinking and looking wasted as recently as a couple of years ago. Nikki Sixx is rather economical with the truth as far as his recovery is concerned imo. I'm not criticisng him, there's no shame in struggling to stay sober, ongoing rehab is part and parcel of that, just that it's not an honest picture he's painting of his recovery.
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Yes, 'someone' is. A google will easily find pics of him drinking and looking wasted as recently as a couple of years ago. Nikki Sixx is rather economical with the truth as far as his recovery is concerned imo. I'm not criticisng him, there's no shame in struggling to stay sober, ongoing rehab is part and parcel of that, just that it's not an honest picture he's painting of his recovery.

thanks, yes the more I googled the more I thought, nah I don't buy it. Like you say no shame in struggling to stay clean, perfectly par for the course. Making dramatic statements about just 'waking up one day' and overcoming heroin addiction just like that...well great if true but annoying if not and slightly insulting if blatant fibs:(
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun should be ashamed of themselves printing that picture of Gazza supping a pint at the airport - there was simply no need for it:( The man is at the lowest point of his life - FFS just leave him alone to (hopefully) get better.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun should be ashamed of themselves printing that picture of Gazza supping a pint at the airport - there was simply no need for it:( The man is at the lowest point of his life - FFS just leave him alone to (hopefully) get better.

There must be someone at that paper who knows a alcoholic cannot just stop like that or they will die.

My alcoholic BIL had a tummy bug for one day and could not keep anything down OMG he went downhill so fast it was scary! :(
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    You're right, every addict is a unique human being and it's ridiculous to say just because one found giving up easy that another won't struggle.

I don't like talking about it on here very much but I've said before that my mum is an alcoholic who has been sober for almost 30 years but she can still have times when it's a struggle, even after all these years.

My mum is an intelligent, educated woman with a long career as a midwife. She managed to hide her drinking for years and hid it well enough to hold down a stressful job. Her problem was that, because she hid her drinking, she didn't have a support system because no one knew how bad she had got behind closed doors except for me and I was a kid, what did I know about addiction? It was really meeting my stepdad and falling pregnant with my brother at the rope old age of 41 that made her realise she had to stop and, by then, she had someone she trusted enough to tell the truth.

Some people can be complete p*ssheads all of their lives and never develop a dependency. Others are hooked almost from the first glass. None of us know who has the tendency towards addiction and who doesn't, almost until it's too late.

Gazza can do it if he really wants to but I really don't know if he does want it badly enough. Like others on here, I agree that his life was playing football and, without the game and the camaraderie, he's a lost soul who has no direction in his life.

That's a very inspiring story Blondie. Your mum is obviously a lady with great strength of mind. Not many of those around today. :)

axlgod wrote: »
    He tried everything to kick his addiction including rehab, but as a hardcore junkie, he always relapsed. (one near fatal overdose left him clinically dead for 4 minutes).
    After many failed attempts to go clean, he literally woke one morning & quit. That was in 1992.

There will be help for Gazza, but ultimately, it's down to him & him only.

In that case, I'm sure he must be one of the only heroin addicts to do that. Tbh, I think he's exaggerating - no addict finds it that easy, and to say 'One day I woke up and said - enough' sells autobiographies.

Or am I too cynical?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Spot on
    You cannot make someone dry out and then undergo therapy. Only last year the PFA paid for him to go to Sporting Chance (the place set up by Tony Adams) - he checked himself out after a few days.
    'Helping' someone often means enabling them - he knows that no matter how much he relapses, he will get bailed out again...................
    You are so right. He has no control over his life because of his alcoholism, and until he accepts this he'll never recover. If he does manage to get dry and then sober, and stay sober, he must admit to himself the only way he'll be able to live his life is to stay away from that first drink. It's the first drink that makes an alcoholic drunk, not the 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Added to this he will have to alter his whole way of life and thinking if he wants to stay sober. It won't be easy, but it can be done.

I've worked with people with addiction problems. Unless the person reaches that moment where they themselves say "enough", they aren't on the road to recovery. Even when they do, it's tough enough. :(
    And it does happen occasionally when an alcoholic has reached such a rock bottom that there is something inside that says enough is enough.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Guess we can't really expect any better from The Sun, though.:(

It would be so good if Gazza can turn things around, with help, and rediscover some kind of purpose doing what he loves. People have said he's good with kids. It would be great if he could get involved in training and talent spotting kids from disadvantaged backgrounds in football.

Thing is, the press would even pillory him for that. I can imagine the various headlines about him doing good work with 'street' kids having 'neglected' his own.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    I am a bit wary of those who are posting that Gascoigne needs something to do with his time - whilst this may help, it is not the only answer.
    My ex was drinking heavily whilst remaining in employment with a very responsible job in the nuclear industry, he had work and interests outside of work plus family and supportive friends. He had no lack of structure or activities.
    It was only the last year of our marriage that he became unable to function at work and his slide to self-destruction accelerated.
    So occupying your time does not mean that you don't drink
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with this. Gazza needs a purpose in life when he gets out of rehab, hopefully dried out. If he goes back to his old lonely life, he'll go straight back to his old ways.

I hear what is being said in the post above, but to have something to get up for in the morning, to feel you're doing something to help others must surely be better than sitting all day in an armchair drinking litre after litre of cider until you fall unconscious?
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit wary of those who are posting that Gascoigne needs something to do with his time - whilst this may help, it is not the only answer.
    My ex was drinking heavily whilst remaining in employment with a very responsible job in the nuclear industry, he had work and interests outside of work plus family and supportive friends. He had no lack of structure or activities.
    It was only the last year of our marriage that he became unable to function at work and his slide to self-destruction accelerated.

It's not just about him having too much time on his hands though. Ever since he was knee high, he's wanted nothing more than to play football. For as long as he can remember, his life has been about kicking a ball round a field with his mates. IMO, football was his life, his reason for existing and, without it, he's a lost soul.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In my experience, it is the very last thing they should do!
  • SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ignorance on here is astounding. Particuarly regarding Gazza's last pint at the airport.

As has been said, if an alcoholic stops drinking suddeny he can die - that story in the Sun was a complete sham.

Another thing I don't understand is this thing over who 'deserves' sympathy. It seems uttery bizarre to me that so many people are obsessed with this?
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    I'd like to congratulate the people who paid, that is a brilliant and caring thing to do :)
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splot wrote: »
    As has been said, if an alcoholic stops drinking suddeny he can die
    I think I read that about about Amy, I don't know the actual medical jargon for it of the top of my head, but since she had been sober for a few weeks, given her immune system was so used to the booze, it effectively gave up on her in a sense
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the whole Gazza alcoholic story a complete and utter bore. I wish him well but he is responsible for his own downfall. Now we hear he is swanning off to America. Waste of time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    I think I read that about about Amy, I don't know the actual medical jargon for it of the top of my head, but since she had been sober for a few weeks, given her immune system was so used to the booze, it effectively gave up on her in a sense

I think that was misinformation. She died because of the amount of alcohol she'd drunk. Her liver, not immune system being used to the booze doesn't make it resistant to booze, quite the opposite.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    I think that was misinformation. She died because of the amount of alcohol she'd drunk. Her liver, not immune system being used to the booze doesn't make it resistant to booze, quite the opposite.
    Thanks for clearing that up
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member

This is so true. My husband was also a very high flying professional whose descent from 'heavy drinker' to 'non-functioning' fully fledged alcoholic was frightening and traumatic. Loving family, children, friends, a job he loved, none of it made an iota of difference. Thankfully eventually he turned a corner and hasn't touched a drop for a decade and I don't honestly believe he ever will again but he still needs a very strong supportive structure around him to continue managing it. An alcoholic will always be an alcoholic it is just a question of 'managing' it like a diabetic needs to do, Gazza will always need a high level of management if he does stay dry.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CreamPuff wrote: »
    Gazza will always need a high level of management if he does stay dry.

This is it though.

Gazza seems to have no family or support network nearby to help him. He goes to rehab, goes home and he's alone again, whilst all the friends who've got him into rehab fall away.

Perhaps he'd do better if he moved back to be near his family in Newcastle, or have they washed their hands of him?
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. My husband would never have succeeded if the support system around him had not been strong. Gazza will need to change his life drastically if he is too succeed and get rid of those around him who constantly enable him. Years ago I could be just as dismissive as some here about the 'self inflicted' mess they get themselves into but I have a much clearer understanding of it now and more empathy towards those still caught up in it. It's a sad way to spend your one and only life.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so true. My husband was also a very high flying professional whose descent from 'heavy drinker' to 'non-functioning' fully fledged alcoholic was frightening and traumatic. Loving family, children, friends, a job he loved, none of it made an iota of difference. Thankfully eventually he turned a corner and hasn't touched a drop for a decade and I don't honestly believe he ever will again but he still needs a very strong supportive structure around him to continue managing it. An alcoholic will always be an alcoholic it is just a question of 'managing' it like a diabetic needs to do, Gazza will always need a high level of management if he does stay dry.
    Absolutely. My husband would never have succeeded if the support system around him had not been strong. Gazza will need to change his life drastically if he is too succeed and get rid of those around him who constantly enable him. Years ago I could be just as dismissive as some here about the 'self inflicted' mess they get themselves into but I have a much clearer understanding of it now and more empathy towards those still caught up in it. It's a sad way to spend your one and only life.

I really appreciate your informed posts.
    Good wishes to you and your family and you have made your point very well.:)