convert single LNB Sky dish to quad LNB

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
I would like to know how to convert my single LNB sky dish to a quad LNB so I can connect a Freesat pvr.

Where would I obtain the necessary equipment etc.

In fact is it feasable for a complete for a complete novice to even attempt the job?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    It's just a matter of getting the correct Quad LNB that fits, in past posts people have said it's getting the correct fitting so it lines up correctly, ie the plastic bracket that holds the LNB in place, I think there are a number of slightly different shapes. A couple of lengths of the correct cable and a few fittings.

Look for a the correct LNB on the web, the cable and fittings you can get from Maplins, B&Q etc, I've run two cables from my quad head to install a 2nd Sky Box and a freesat box. I've got my dish mounted in the garden and I prefer to do the work myself, as the only Sky fitter I've ever had do a job did not tighten the dish back up.
  • vortexvortex Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    mufrcok wrote: »
    I would like to know how to convert my single LNB sky dish to a quad LNB so I can connect a Freesat pvr.

Where would I obtain the necessary equipment etc.

In fact is it feasable for a complete for a complete novice to even attempt the job?

Look on eBay where you can get all the bits you need as a kit for £15-20 delivered

Is it feasible? Of course so long as you have a 11mm spanner; PZ screwriver; hammer; ladder and common sense.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mufrcok wrote: »

In fact is it feasable for a complete novice to even attempt the job?

It's a really easy task to undertake the only thing to be wary of is when removing the old LNB as it and the retaining pin can tend to stick and if you're not too careful you may upset the alignment of the dish but saying that you need to be a bit of a gorilla in the brain department to get it wrong.. :D Just plan ahead give yourself plenty of time and take a leisurely and methodical aproach and you will be proud of your achievement..;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the extra weight of the quad lnb might mean that the dish needs adjusting a fraction upwards to compensate for this.
    the skyman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Skyman wrote: »
    the extra weight of the quad lnb might mean that the dish needs adjusting a fraction upwards to compensate for this.
    the skyman

I think some one has previously pointed out that the arm should be adjusted not the dish as this would further exacerbate the problem.. Although it does depend on whether the extra weight caused the dish to move or if the arm deformed due to the weight :D

I've reported previously that when I upgraded it actually improved the signal with the extra weight :D
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some one has previously pointed out that the arm should be adjusted not the dish as this would further exacerbate the problem

In practice, simply elevating the entire Dish doesn't exacerbate the problem and is the most practical solution.

That said, in the rare event that the alterations are required (MiniDish LNB Arms are quite short and adequately rigid to support a Quad or Octo without significant flexing), one must question how good the installation was to start with.

But worth bearing in mind, nevertheless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've reported previously that when I upgraded it actually improved the signal with the extra weight :D

Re. this bit you sneakily added while I was replying, it rather proves my point about the quality of the initial installation ! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rai uno wrote: »
    Re. this bid you sneakily added while I was replying, it rather proves my point about the quality of the initial installation ! :p

:D And at this juncture I have to point out that the original installation was not done by my goodself :D

yes your point about the rigidity of the arm does 'hold weight' so to speak <insert groan icon> :D I was merely raising the point made in other threads
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I swapped mine over last July in order to get freesat in our little office room in addition to keeping the sky connection to my bedroom. Ended up getting all enthusiastic and running two lines down to the living room as well in preparation for FreeSat+ then decided the cost of a FreeSat+ box compared to a Freeview+ box was far more than i was willing to swallow.

Ordered my Quad LND from a company called Trak. It arrived the next day and I got my cables etc from Maplins. I decided to use CT125 cable for a little extra shielding. Its thicker and less flexible but im happy with it. So from maplin i bought the cable (their salesperson couldnt count and actually gave me 15m more than I asked for, which came in handy for making fly-leads), twist on F-type plugs for the CT125 and some self-amalgamating tape.

The LNB i ordered came with a couple of adaptors that could be fitted onto it depending on the type of dish you were trying to fit it too, but no documentation. When I was up the ladder I was able to easily see which type of adaptor i needed. Releasing the locking pin that held the original LNB into the arm of the sky minidish was the hardest part of the whole job. With the help of a tiny two-pin fork my dad had been using when potting up seedlings, i was able to prise the pin out of the arm of the dish without moving the dish (that was my big concern). From then on the job was easy, juts cut off the tape from the connector and unscrew the f-type from the original LNB, connect the new one and re-tape the connector before pulling down the weather shield to cover the connections, slide the new lnb into the arm of the dish and gently insert the locking pin back into its position.

If a total muppet like me can do it, then anyone can.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    As an after-thought...... I made no modifications to the angle of the dish, or the arm, and as yet have had no signal degradation or channel loss, so I'd assume that my arm isnt bending too much from the extra weight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D And at this juncture I have to point out that the original installation was not done by my goodself :D

yes your point about the rigidity of the arm does 'hold weight' so to speak <insert groan icon> :D I was merely raising the point made in other threads

Groan, indeed! :)