xbox help please hdmi/pal?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
Forum Member
Hi

I am consisting buying an Xbox for my daughter

When I check them out I see some saying non HDMI pal only or hdmi

I would like to know a little bit more what this means ? Mainly if it's important massively? Does it affect game play use age a lot?

TV it will be used on is HD ready not full HD

Also only advice someone has mentioned is try and buy one with large h/d as 20g may not be enough

Main games she would be keen on are COD /mine craft and Xbox live services

I am a total novice with regard to x box so any info/suggestions might help!

Comments

• SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pal is just the region. it covers most of Asia, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Europe. So a Pal xbox would be needed to play games bought in any of these.

HDMI would be one way to connect your xbox to your tv, some older xbox models dont have HDMI but all models have a component cable which should work on your tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Hi speed ty for that info much appreciated
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem, if the TV is HD ready you should have no problems.

Good luck on your purchase, shop around you can get a great deals online, I would advise (if possible) to buy new rather than a preowned console. People have a habit of selling their xbox 360 right before they break. (There are obvious warning signs). I tried to buy a preonwed console from Game they first 3 they sent me were faulty.

Also if your daughter is planning on getting Minecraft, you will need an internet connection to download it. If bought in a store it comes in the form of a code and you enter and download it. Also if she plans on going online to play games (against friends/other people) she will need an xbox live subscription. Costs about £30 a year although you can sometimes get that bundled with the console depending on where you get it.
    Forum Member
    Hi speed yes I did look on game---but you think not good in your experience--did you return and eventually got one which was OK?

I gather it connects online wirelessly---is that part of the console built in or do I need to buy anything additional?

You mentioned obvious warning signs if pre owned?
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    PAL/NTSC was only applicable to analogue TV standards.

HDMI standards are universal. It will work as long as you have a HDMI connection on your TV.

Edit: I would recommend AGAINST buying any console 2nd hand. Especially the 360. You may find your console works for a few minutes and then fails with an undocumented issue. Buy it new, get piece of mind (and a warranty)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackie2412 wrote: »
    Hi speed yes I did look on game---but you think not good in your experience--did you return and eventually got one which was OK?

I gather it connects online wirelessly---is that part of the console built in or do I need to buy anything additional?

You mentioned obvious warning signs if pre owned?

I got one eventually, I ended up going to a Game store and they exchanged my 3rd one.

It connects wireless but some older models need a xbox wireless adapter which last time I checked cost about £20 or so. The new models have it built in.

Obvious warning signs to the owner, games would crash, disc read errors when the disc is fine which become more frequent until permanent. Errors on start up which again are rare but more frequent. Which is why Game for example would have a lot of close to breaking consoles, they would look ok when checked but would be broke in a month or so. Game do have a warranty though, they will replace it. (as long as they stay open).

Also I should have mentioned she will need one with a hard drive. The basic model even the new basic models come with a 4gb hard drive. But if you were download say Minecraft then you are in trouble and would need some sort of extra memory. Again it would depend on the model you buy. Memory is usually 20gb up to350 GB. 20 would be fine for Minecraft a few other downloaded games, but a lot of people go for bigger memory as you can install your games from disc onto the Hard drive. The game plays off the hard drive saving the life of the disc drive and in turn the console. You still need the disc in the xbox to play it too.
    Forum Member
    Ty Dan for info

Aside from game/currys/Argos any other places you would recommend
    Forum Member
    Ty speed so with regard to memory I can buy extra if needed---it had a slot I presume like SD card as such?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ty Dan for info

Aside from game/currys/Argos any other places you would recommend

There are loads of online retailers that are fine, Amazon, Play.com. The prices vary wildly too, usually once every few weeks an amazing deal pops up. At the moment I cant see anything that stands out though.
    Forum Member
    Tyvm for helping me its been really helpful
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ty speed so with regard to memory I can buy extra if needed---it had a slot I presume like SD card as such?

You can use official memory, which slots into the machine. or you can use a usb stick if its compatible. The only way to check is to try it. Using a USB stick has its downfalls. It may not be compatible, its quite fragile, you cant use it on a pc as long as its formatted to xbox.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    I would look for a deal on a new one or at least a new model if you are buying used. Unless you know the seller then old xboxs - you can never be sure what you are buying e.g. Banned online or history of rrod.