Catfish:The TV Show Monday 21st January 10pm MTV

DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else looking forward to this? It is based on the documentary film of the same name. Apparently after the film he got lots of letters from people in online relationships and they are scared that the person whom they have never met before are not who they say they are. They investigate and confront them. Some are genuine, some are not.

PJ

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this advertised and I'm very curious to watch it actually. Any idea on how many episodes there are supposed to be or anything like that?
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the first episode. Not quite sure why some of it was shot on what looked like a cheap digital camera (not DSLR) maybe that was product placement?

Thought it was good how the Catfish has changed her life around, if she is to be believed.

PJ
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this advertised earlier this evening and decided to record it and I have just finished watching the first episode, I did quite like it but I thought it seemed quite fake in places though.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stumbled across this last night, loved the film so was intrigued as to what the set up would be. After reading the Sky synopsis was half expecting it to be a sitcom!
    Like the film i'm unsure how much is fake or just not explained properly (there must have been more calls to RJ to arrange a time find out address etc) and i thought Summer? took the news quite well (she may have freaked out good and proper back at the hotel that night..who knows?).
    Found it a stretch that they have become friends though. Recorded the 2nd episode, i imagine it all gets a bit samey.
    Forum Member
    It is very staged - even more than the film - but I am not sure if that is the way it is filmed or the actually people are plants.

e.g. Just watching the first episode. The guy goes from checking his email, supposedly for the first time, to contacting the woman by skype - all set up and ready for him with the camera - and the they imediately leave to go visit her to hear the story in person.

So this sequence is clearly faked for the camera - but it does not necessarily mean the woman did not contact them genuinely and all the rest was arranged by producers and "reenacted' for the show.. This seems to be how most MTV reality shows are structured.

Either way I doubt they are going to find many real relationships. Seems like a lot of gullible people telling very implausible stories ending each ep with a "to catch a predator" style confrontation and reveal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    It is very staged - even more than the film - but I am not sure if that is the way it is filmed or the actually people are plants.

e.g. Just watching the first episode. The guy goes from checking his email, supposedly for the first time, to contacting the woman by skype - all set up and ready for him with the camera - and the they imediately leave to go visit her to hear the story in person.

So this sequence is clearly faked for the camera - but it does not necessarily mean the woman did not contact them genuinely and all the rest was arranged by producers and "reenacted' for the show.. This seems to be how most MTV reality shows are structured.

Either way I doubt they are going to find many real relationships. Seems like a lot of gullible people telling very implausible stories ending each ep with a "to catch a predator" style confrontation and reveal.

That's a shame, i think that if they concentrated on showing the detective work that goes into researching The Catfish, the pay off/reveal would be more interesting.
    Forum Member
    maybe, but MTV were the ones willing to commission a series and MTV don't make in depth realistic documentaries. From the eps I have seen though the "detective" work is googling, checking the facebook profile and then straight out calling them on the phone. I remember the fake girl in the film being a very complex deception but I doubt they would find too many of them for a whole series. I think most of these will be obvious fakes conning gullible people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i suppose but can't help but think their missing a trick.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing next weeks. I really hope the one of ten years is genuine.

PJ