The Office- Season 9 US pace.

Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well the final season is upon us and it returned last night, but the cracks are showing that the season will be very hit and miss.

As this is US pace and for the sake of harmony the next part will be hidden.
not impressed with the Andy transformation, the Nasty attitude does not suit the character, and the blatant bullying towards Nellie was bordering on abusive, we saw the start of the Jim exit storyline and the potential office bust up between Oscar and the blonde who married the gay state senator.

I'm pretty annoyed by the quality of the writing since Steve Carell departed, the last season without him had patches of sheer comedic brilliance but was pretty dire on a whole. The show has went two seasons too long and it's very clear IMOP that Andy was a very poor replacement for Micheal Scott.

Comments

• charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well for what it's worth I thought it showed a bit of a return to form after the disappointing season 8. It looks like it will actually be set in the office again, which I think was the problem the last couple of years.

Glad to see Kelly and Ryan written out early doors as their storyline had become tiresome.

I don't share your pessimistic views for this season, but time will tell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I also thought the first episode was better than most of the disappointing season 8 episodes. I liked Andy's new assertiveness. If I was Andy, I'd feel the same way about Nellie. He is acting similar to how Michael would have, even telling Toby he now knows why Michael hated him.

The Kevin/turtle scene was cringe worthy and a waste of time. Kevin is getting dumber and dumber as the seasons go by. By the end of this season he'll need a care giver to watch over him.

Liked the state senator/Oscar affair. I can't wait until Angela finds out.

I was disappointed that Dwight was not the father of Angela's baby. The writers may have done this in order not to complicate Dwight's spin-off series.

It's too early to tell whether Dwight Junior and New Jim will add anything to the series.
  • zippykinszippykins Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    The new Dwight and new Jim was mildly entertaining, but its just not funny anymore.

I don't think I can bear to watch any problems between Jim and Pam, their getting together still makes my cry (happy tears!).
  • thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    "I don't know if this final season can make up for the mess of last year, but "New Guys" gets them off to a promising start."
    http://www.thetvking.com/reviews/1446/last-day-at-the-office/
  • RonSwanson92RonSwanson92 Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I have really enjoyed the first three episodes of season 9, it seems a lot funnier than season 8 so far. Asian Jim had to be the best cold opening since Dwight's fake fire drill.
    Forum Member
    Asian Jim had to be the best cold opening since Dwight's fake fire drill.

JIm/Dwight opens are the best - I loved the one last season where Jim pretended to be dead.
    Forum Member
    Is anyone still watching this - what do you think of the turn of events?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zippykins wrote: »

Which events?

I wasn't too keen on the way they were going with Pam and the sound man.

The bit with the warehouse worker and the painting was a bit nasty. He seemed mental.

The show isn't really going out on a high.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the office really is spiralling to new lows. I am forcing myself to watch it because its the last series. Why on earth they've decided to bring focus to the filming crew so late in the day I don't know. We've had people having sex on the show infront of the cameras and its fine, but Pam cries a little and they have to turn off the cameras because its too personal.

They really are just ruining the show.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I meant revealing the sound guy and documentary crew. I don't really think it's added much, presumably they will build towards some sort of happy ending for Jim and Pam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hiring episode was really weird, but the one with Pams Mural was a little better. I think its a pity Michael isn't back for one more episode the was my favourite character. I like Erin and Pete together would love it Andy walked in on them kissing and then punched the wall again. Would like to see attention been paid to Angela, Kevin Phylsis and Stanley their great character, Creed is great character too
  • slats7slats7 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    What a joke that Ed Helms is allowed to take basically the entire season off to film Hangover 3.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still very hit & miss, but this season is certainly still far better than season 8... I actually don't mind the "film crew" finally getting some screen time, if only to put the whole filming style in context, though they are telegraphing the Pam storyline rather heavily...

They should have just let Ed Helms leave rather than have this silly extended hiatus, and I still think it's strange to see Catherine Tate in such a bit part, but I wouldn't put it past Steve Carell to make a token appearance in one of the final episodes...
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the season has been dire so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still love it. And I think it's good that they've shown the 'film crew' but why wait until so late in the day to do it?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I still enjoy it.

I don't think that half the cast have left is good for the shows credibility. and i think it will add to the view from history that it jumped the shark when michael left.

interesting that they broke the 4th wall. i do hope pam doesn't have an affair.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zippykins wrote: »

Not impressed, it has taken a weird turn with Pam/soundguy thing, Andy away fr three months and Wallace has no idea until he hears Erin tell Andy its over.

Love Nellie, Catherine Tate was made for the role. Miss Kelly and Ryan though, the writing has been hit and miss, the last few episodes have been meh meh.

Shame because it was a cracking production.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they don't split Pam & Jim up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure that the Catherine Tate role could have been good, great or even excellent, if only she was not such a pathetic amateur ham...I am sure that better actresses auditioned for the role.

Please to see Mindy Kaling (as with BJ) sacked from the show... her role within the series has always been spurious and entirely superfluous, and there are infinitely superior ethnic actresses around.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone else auditioned for Nellie. Sounds like the character was created specifically for Tate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    DariaM wrote: »
    Please to see Mindy Kaling (as with BJ) sacked from the show... her role within the series has always been spurious and entirely superfluous, and there are infinitely superior ethnic actresses around.
    She wasn't sacked, she left to star in her own show, which is currently airing on Fox.

Unlike most of the other cast, she wasn't just acting on the show, so obviously she wasn't going to be as prominent as those other cast members. She's written the most episodes and she was an executive producer. The only other cast members who produced, wrote and acted on the show were Paul Lieberstein and B.J. Novak.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was last night's extended episode the last ever episode?

It didn't feel like a final one but there doesn't seem to be any more.
  • Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last episode isn't until May. This was only ep 16 so there's at least 7 to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mo@reality wrote: »
    The last episode isn't until May. This was only ep 16 so there's at least 7 to go.

Ah thought so. It is difficult to watch at the moment, only really watching out of habit.