Kindle keyboard vs paperwhite for nonagenarian

GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm planning to offer to pass on my kindle keyboard to my Grandad as I buy a paperwhite, but would happily splash out on a second paperwhite if it would be easier for him to use. Physical buttons on the former are small but fixed, is the ui on the pw scalable?

He uses a laptop reasonably well, but if things don't go as he expects then he is quickly lost. The typical problems are accidental clicks or not quite hitting the right buttons, or someone changing the settings and not putting it back. Main reason for offering a kindle would be large fonts and ability to purchase from home.

So, which of the two would be more recommendable for an old fogey? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Scaleable - I've not seen this function so will say not available on pw

I think the keyboard on the paperwhite is really good and he shouldn't have problems. My suggestion for you is to get yours and then let him try out both.

Alternatively, I'm guessing Amaon will release Paperwhite 2 at some point which will hopefully resolve the "black shadow" issue at the bottom of the screen. Give Gramps kindle keyboard now, you get Paperwhite now and then upgrade to the next release (whenever that may be) and then give him your old PW!!
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Just asked my wife about this as she has had the normal Kindle as well as having a Paperwhite and she thinks the Paperwhite would be better for him as with it all being touchscreen it's a lot more intuitive to use as you swipe to turn a page and just press on a book to read it so it's all more similar to how it would be in 'real' life using a normal book.

She's not had a problem with the screen on her Paperwhite
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I get a little dark shading right at the bottom of the screen, I'm pretty sure all devices get it but it's barely noticeable and may depend on how lit your screen is.

There's an Amazon discussion on it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3IRFCNF3E5K2W&cdThread=Tx1A03TCOGPZFLD
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give him the Keyboard, if he does not like it, give him your paperwhite to use for a while if it's any better.
  • totalwisetotalwise Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only useful feature about the keyboard is that you can hold it along the bottom better, I have it and neevr use the keyboard fuctionality.. If he's going to do a bit of notetaking on the kindle I can see the keyboard being useful - but bear in mind the keys are not designed to do a lot of tupying - more designed for limited text message length typing because they are a bit hard and uncomfortable to use a lot.

The paperwhite does have it's benefits I suppose - never used it myself but must make night time reading a hundred times better. The add on lights for the non-papershite kindles never really worked well - they reflected too much light.