Why is Radio 1's best presenter in a crap slot?

mriggsmriggs Posts: 242
Forum Member
Okay so not really crap ie. the middle of the night but why isn't Scott Mills on at breakfast or rush hour?

I normally listen to Radio 1 for 15-20 minutes in the morning and evening in the car, well really only the morning because I can't be doing with Greg James' show.

This week Scott Mills has been covering breakfast and he is in a whole other league to Grimmy I've warmed to him since he first started but couldn't listen to Grimshaw much longer than the 20mins I do now but with Scott Mills' show this week I've been listening to the rest of the show later on iPlayer as I work.

Mills is by far the best presenter Radio 1 have.

Is the Scott Mills daily podcast thing just the show without the music? Would be good if it is as 80% of what R1 play is crap anyway.

Comments

• Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    mriggs wrote: »
    Okay so not really crap ie. the middle of the night but why isn't Scott Mills on at breakfast or rush hour?

I normally listen to Radio 1 for 15-20 minutes in the morning and evening in the car, well really only the morning because I can't be doing with Greg James' show.

This week Scott Mills has been covering breakfast and he is in a whole other league to Grimmy I've warmed to him since he first started but couldn't listen to Grimshaw much longer than the 20mins I do now but with Scott Mills' show this week I've been listening to the rest of the show later on iPlayer as I work.

Is the Scott Mills daily podcast thing just the show without the music? Would be good if it is as 80% of what R1 play is crap anyway.

I am not at all a Grimmy fan, in fact I think he is the worst R1 presenter ever. I dont feel a warmth from him over the airwaves, whereas Scott, John Peel, Wiley and Moyles really made me want to tune in again.

These days since DAB started to work properly work in my area I listen to Team Rock and Radio 6.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated Scott when he covered Breakfast for Moyles as it meant Moyles wasnt there but I love having Scott on Breakfast atm and Matt has been doing a great job on Lunch and has some good features.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    i agree, scott is the best presenter on radio 1.

but....

the bosses at radio 1 are edging him out because he is over 35 years of age

booo

we heart you scott
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SM is a fantastic broadcaster. Ridiculous to marginalise him because of age.
  • danrichardsdanrichards Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Scott's good and his show is good...but is he pulling in the audience Radio 1 has been told they need to get? IMHO BBC National radio shouldn't be driven by target audiences, it should be based on playing specific remits of music to anyone who chooses to listen.

That said, it IS driven by ages and the vast majority of Radio 1's demographic is under the age of 20. To that end, albeit a bit TOO childish at times, Grimmy probably IS playing the music and talking about the stuff his audience want to hear - I can't really criticise him for it because the station isn't designed to appeal to me. I'm too old.

Bit like Saga's car insurance; I don't think their marketing is great, but it isn't supposed to BE great to me because their product isn't aimed at me.
  • BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott's good and his show is good...but is he pulling in the audience Radio 1 has been told they need to get? IMHO BBC National radio shouldn't be driven by target audiences, it should be based on playing specific remits of music to anyone who chooses to listen.
    I've been thinking this for a while now. The BBC has proved that they cannot get the audience age of Radio 1 down to where they want it, so why bother? Aim the stations at 'types' of people. I'm 41 and my favourite listen at the moment is Captital Xtra!
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,380
    Forum Member
    The answer is simple he is too old, this is blatant ageism by the BBC. What other organisation would get away with it? People should be judged on performance at work not age. Scott certainly wasn't demoted from drive due to his performance but due to his age.

I'm surprised this sort of discrimination is still legal in this day and age and pretty sure most companies would be in trouble if they had similar policies. Is more legislation needed to stop it?
  • ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Chris Moyles had of left the breakfast show a year or so earlier then Scott Mills would have been given it.

It's a shame he lost the drive time slot, his show was excellent in that time frame.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mriggs wrote: »

I know losts of people like Scott Mills, but I positively don;t.

Not that Nick Grimshaw is any better
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    I know losts of people like Scott Mills, but I positively don;t.

Not that Nick Grimshaw is any better
    I don't really like them either.

I agree that Mills seems to have been deliberately moved to a timeslot where most teenagers are at school/college/university.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hardly call any slot on Radio 1 a crap slot let alone 1-4 in the afternoon.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the Scott Mill's love. When I clicked on this thread I thought surely they're referring to SM.
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    I think Scott's been on his A-game since the 1pm move.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I'm 18 and I never listen to grimmy however when Mills is on I listen every morning!

I still think Mills connects well with the 16-29 year age group that R1 keep chasing after, especially with the addition of Chris Stark which has really future proved Mills' shows a little longer.

Grimmy has had long enough to attract a young audience and it hasn't worked.

Get MILLS on breakfast for a few years for him to leave on a high and then bring Greg James on brekky:D
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's lucky to stil have such a prominent slot after all these years on the station.He's leaving next year anyway
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He will have a show on the temp 4 day Radio 2 Eurovision station, which may lead to other things?
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/03/radio-2-to-launch-pop-up-dab-for-eurovision/
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SM is by far the best on r1 and i cant wait till he arrives on r2 doing sat mornings
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Scott Mills is possibly the reason I've never listened to R1 at drive-time or the new slot he is in. I guess he does an adequate enough a job to warrant such a long contract at his age but I don't approve of him personally.

Radio 1 doesn't appeal to me anymore. For a few years I would have tuned into Moyles everyday then maybe catch a bit of Fearne's show but then they just got stale. If anything Radio 2 or Kiss are my likely stations now. I'm almost 24.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    He's lucky to stil have such a prominent slot after all these years on the station.He's leaving next year anyway

when he leaves next year a network drive show on capital would blow greg james out of the water
  • theboyroddtheboyrodd Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I think Scott steps it up alot when he does breakfast, he sounds so different than in the afternoon but 2 weeks is enough in the mornings I find him very irritating after an hour or so.

I think Grimmy has gotten loads better the longer he has been on breakfast and I really enjoy listening to him now
  • PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott Mills is possibly the reason I've never listened to R1...

...I don't approve of him personally.

(My bold.) Interesting word. Care to elaborate?
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott is by far the best established talent Radio 1 have, you can tell how much he lives and breathes radio as opposed to the likes of Fearne Cotton who you can practically hear grabbing her coat as soon as Newsbeat hits at 12.45pm.

Adding Chris Stark as a permanent member of the team was a stroke of genius, they have great chemistry, the show still sounds tight and fresh, and some of the features they do are hilarious - The Kunis interview, Lisa and Steve, etc.

The blatant ageism by the BBC is so wrong in this day and age. They've tried bringing the average age down and it isn't working anywhere near as dramatically as the charter says it has to, so why not do as others have suggested and aim stations at a type of person rather than an age group.

I think there's an identified need for a station between Radio 1 and Radio 2, they are just too far apart in the audiences they aim at and there's a whole bunch of people who feel marginalised by Radio 1, and not 'old enough' for Radio 2. A Mills and Stark breakfast show on the hypothetical Radio 1.5 would be fantastic and a ratings winner, complemented by Sara Cox, Jo Whiley and others.

An idea for the BBC - integrate 1Xtra into Radio 1 entirely, shoot exclusively for that younger audience and use the freed up bandwidth to create this 1.5 station.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    The blatant ageism by the BBC is so wrong in this day and age. They've tried bringing the average age down and it isn't working anywhere near as dramatically as the charter says it has to, so why not do as others have suggested and aim stations at a type of person rather than an age group.

I think there's an identified need for a station between Radio 1 and Radio 2, they are just too far apart in the audiences they aim at and there's a whole bunch of people who feel marginalised by Radio 1, and not 'old enough' for Radio 2. A Mills and Stark breakfast show on the hypothetical Radio 1.5 would be fantastic and a ratings winner, complemented by Sara Cox, Jo Whiley and others.

An idea for the BBC - integrate 1Xtra into Radio 1 entirely, shoot exclusively for that younger audience and use the freed up bandwidth to create this 1.5 station.
    The commercial stations are united against a radio 1.5 and are open why.
    http://www.radiocentre.org/latest-industry-news/radio-1-and-the-commercial-sector
    why does commercial radio care so much about the age of Radio 1’s listeners? The answer is deceptively simple, and we need to be honest about it. The deliberate targeting of the public investment at commercial radio’s audience hits us where it hurts – in the pocket – to the tune of some £50 million a year in lost revenue.
    Over the last ten years, BBC Radio has gradually poured more money into competing for commercial radio’s heartland audience of 25–44 year olds (the listeners most important to our advertisers), and it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that this deliberate strategy has meant growth in BBC audience at the expense of the commercial sector. This in turn has a direct impact on the profitability and viability of commercial radio. Indeed, we estimate that the targeting of listeners from commercial radio by BBC Radios 1 and 2 since 1999 now costs the industry around £50m a year, and have highlighted this to the BBC Trust.
    in my ears wrote: »
    when he leaves next year a network drive show on capital would blow greg james out of the water
    Heart might want him back?
  • jamie smith909jamie smith909 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I prefer Mills to Greg James, I've never really connected with Greg, but apparently drives audience increased when he took over, so what do I know
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I love Scott Mills and am gutted now that I don't get to listen to him, as he's on when i'm at work.

I was hoping when Moyles left that he'd get the breakfast slot, but obviously not. Although I have nothing against Grimmy, Scott makes me actually lol on a regular basis. I especially enjoy 24 years at the tap end and innuendo bingo, so much so i'll often youtube these after.

If scott were to leave radio 1 and jump ship elsewhere, I think i'd go with him. and i'm well in the target age group.