Loving the Las Vegas round! :)

Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
Forum Member
I am really enjoying this year. It continues to be an outstandingly well-made programme.

I love the Las Vegas round we’re on now. This stage of the competition has always been a favourite part for me, and I like it more when they keep the males and females separate at this stage.

The judges are working really well. They’re refreshingly honest, without being nasty.

Love the new format of eliminating on the same night.

Love that we’re getting to see all the top 40 perform over 4 episodes. This is great! Personally, I can never get enough of this stage! :)

Comments

• OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't understand getting Jimmy Lovine to pick if judges are at stalemate. Surely he needs to pick one of two tied singers ? Can't remember the name of the guy he picked but if had said no, then the rest would have gone through ?
  • japarajapara Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    Don't understand getting Jimmy Lovine to pick if judges are at stalemate. Surely he needs to pick one of two tied singers ? Can't remember the name of the guy he picked but if had said no, then the rest would have gone through ?

I couldn't figure this out either it didn't make any sense...
    seemed like they just did that to add a bit more interest (unnecessary).
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »

I've just caught up with the first Las Vegas round and was about to say this - what would have happened if he had sent Paul home? The judges must have been split on another. :confused:
  • bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive gone from loving Hollywood week to being totally bored by Vegas. The song choices by all of them were so dull.

Cannot understand why they put through Elijah just becuase he looked 'current' ? Charlie is already getting on my nerves. Most of the guys missed a golden opportunity.

The girls they put through were not bad.

Oh well, it can only get better I suppose ? :confused:
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    Song spoilers are out for this week: http://theidolpad.blogspot.com/
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    The girls are definitely a lot stronger this year.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guys were all really poor. I hope the other 10 are a lot stronger.

Will it be public voting on the top 20?
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    Will it be public voting on the top 20?
    Yeah. Audience traditionally vote at the semi-final stage.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second lot of girls were really poor (and they still chose the wrong ones!). I hope all 5 of the first set of girls make it through to the finals.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It felt to me like this "Sudden Death" round was a bit pointless really.

The judges had clearly made up their minds beforehand, and their critiques aimed at supporting their outcome. Of the country girls for example, Jannel has been marginally better during the previous rounds, but at Vegas, she was a large way behind, yet made it through.

Comments seemed to have added "Oh you should have stayed at the piano" or "You should have got up from the piano" "You tried to hard to have a moment" "You didn't have any moments" taped to the end of them, which were kind of unfair, and seemed to be just to sort of earmark acts for elimination.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    The second lot of girls were really poor (and they still chose the wrong ones!). I hope all 5 of the first set of girls make it through to the finals.

I actually thought the second lot of girls should have been better than the first lot - but agree they picked the wrong ones!

I still hope that Janelle can show up better next week, and perhaps Aubrey this week is OK, but most of the girls from last week were better (apart from Tenna).
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am also loving the Vegas round, but agree that some of them are just plain dullsville.

They should limit Minaj to a total of 50 words feedback max. Boy, does she lurve to talk :rolleyes:
  • FreddiePFreddieP Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Watched the 2nd lot of boys last night, oh my how dull, it just didn't grip me and I spent most of my time looking at my phone!

As for the girls, I thought they were a little better, but really disapointed that Christelle (think that was her name) didn't get put through, even after lots of praise from the judges when she sang.

Really hoping they up their game in the next round or I can see myself switching off.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    FreddieP wrote: »
    Watched the 2nd lot of boys last night, oh my how dull, it just didn't grip me and I spent most of my time looking at my phone!

As for the girls, I thought they were a little better, but really disapointed that Christelle (think that was her name) didn't get put through, even after lots of praise from the judges when she sang.

Really hoping they up their game in the next round or I can see myself switching off.

Completely agree, I mean what were the judges thinking Christelle was incredible. Im not buying into that Zonette girl at all, no matter how much they try and say she is a star, her voice is more suited to xfactor not AI

Also I think the biggest flaw is american idol doesnt have to be a mix of guys and girls in equal measures, arent they trying to find the BEST singer??

The mind boggles but once they get to the proper live shows it will get better!