Doctor Who 50th Anniversary to be in 3D

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the special will be shown in cinemas to allow people without 3D TV to experience it in 3D as well
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose if anything should be in 3D, Doctor Who should. I'm just not convinced that anything should.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To name but two major 3D productions of the last year both the Avengers and Prometheus had at least one instance of gratuitous 'woah man!its coming right at me' silliness which directors of the calibre involved would never have used otherwise.

So if they did it, that automatically means Doctor Who will do it? :yawn:

I have faith in the crew to know what they're doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    You just need to be able to get BBC HD. Most 3D TVs come with Freeview HD built in so if you've got good reception you should be good to go without any special services etc.

Ah, great! Thank you :)
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daft question - if you haven't got 3D, will it look normal, or be all blurred with weird edges like when you take your 3D glasses off in the cinema? Or not work? :confused::confused::o
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What Sophie said
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daft question - if you haven't got 3D, will it look normal, or be all blurred with weird edges like when you take your 3D glasses off in the cinema? Or not work? :confused::confused::o

That's the least daft question I've seen today. :)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    So if they did it, that automatically means Doctor Who will do it? :yawn:

I have faith in the crew to know what they're doing.

Really? Because I don't. At all. If Joss Whedon and Ridley Scott fall for it then you can be damn sure the Dw special will consist of seventy minutes of people waving their hands in front of their faces. And the villains will be self propelling beach balls. 'theyre coming right at us!'.
    Moffat. What a hack.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3d broadcasts add extra information from which the TV makes a 3d picture — i.e. the TV itself adds the blurry edges. If your TV doesn't do 3d it'll just look like 2d.
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how this will be aired. BBC HD is due to be replaced by BBC 2 HD in the spring, which could potentially prevent a simulcast.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

It will transmit in normal 2D on BBC One as usual I suspect... the BBC HD channel will have that blurriness without the glasses, though to be honest 3D these days doesn't create much blur without the glasses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    3d broadcasts add extra information from which the TV makes a 3d picture — i.e. the TV itself adds the blurry edges. If your TV doesn't do 3d it'll just look like 2d.
    It will transmit in normal 2D on BBC One as usual I suspect... the BBC HD channel will have that blurriness without the glasses, though to be honest 3D these days doesn't create much blur without the glasses.
    Okay thanks guys! I thought for a minute I might not be able to watch it. :o:)
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past, the BBC have shown a 2D version on BBC One and a 3D version on BBC HD. They will know that most viewers will be not be watching in 3D so I can't imagine they'll cause problems for anyone.

Despite the detractors, I'm very excited!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how this will be aired. BBC HD is due to be replaced by BBC 2 HD in the spring, which could potentially prevent a simulcast.

I was just wondering the same. Red button?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should stop ranting. I just really really hate 3D. Unless its for like Creature from the Black Lagoon Versus the Intergalactic Merman. Its a parlour trick. A gimmick. Unnecessary garnish to what can be a beautiful art form. Urgghh. I just hate it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the past, the BBC have shown a 2D version on BBC One and a 3D version on BBC HD. They will know that most viewers will be not be watching in 3D so I can't imagine they'll cause problems for anyone.

I wasn't detracting, I'm just bad with technology :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm only detracting on the basis of whether it's a sensible use of money for something that's going to be quite high profile anyway. One hopes the DW team have been chucked some extra cash in the hope that the broadcast will incentivise people to move to Freeview HD or something*.

I'm certainly not saying there aren't people that just plain like 3d.

* which is advantageous to the BBC because if you have Freeview HD you also have the technology to receive SD broadcasts in lower bandwidth because the maths got smarter. So as soon as everyone does they can increase the channel count on Freeview, meaning more income.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Doctor Who special in good old fashioned 2D will be shown on BBC One and BBC One HD as normal.

The 3D version will either be shown on BBC HD (which will probably be BBC Two HD by then) or will be shown on a separate temporary HD channel.... There is room for a temporary channel on Freeview, satellite or cable, so nobody that wants to see it should miss out.

The BBC also now put their 3D stuff on iPlayer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it would just be on BBC1 HD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC also now put their 3D stuff on iPlayer.

I think Netflix does 3d now, but will provide it only if your ISP has signed a deal with them. So for all practical purposes they don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also I remember the last time I sat down to watch DW in 3d
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but I'm finding it very hard to get excited about this news. I would much rather have had news of series 8, a Christmas special, or multiple anniversary specials but I fully accept this is meant to be 'good news for Doctor Who' so I'll shut up and go and do something else instead :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't detracting, I'm just bad with technology :D

I knew you weren't detracting!:) I am however surrounded by detractors. My family have no interest in 3D. Lots of complaints about having to wear silly glasses and feeling a bit sick!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

That's a relief
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also I remember the last time I sat down to watch DW in 3d

Thanks a lot. Now I do too.