The Rihanna Appreciation Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    What would everyone prefer, Rihanna to release album 7 asap, so we get new music sooner, or for her to take a break and release one in a while?

I'm gonna be selfish and say I NEED MORE RIHANNA NOOOOOW HURRY UP RIRI

7th album this November as usual please.........
    Lovebug can you translate what that tweet means. I don't get her lingo half the time

She didn't shoot the Talk That Talk video because Baby Blue was born the same week it was going to be shot and it wouldn't be appropriate for Jay Z to sing about bitches wanting to fck him lol.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    What would everyone prefer, Rihanna to release album 7 asap, so we get new music sooner, or for her to take a break and release one in a while?

Take a break
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Take a (well earned) break
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loud >>>>>>>>

A fine montage there Josh! I can't believe how many looks and styles she's had over 7 albums, the symmetry with Madonna and reinvention is astounding! Love me a reinvention! Gotta say the look I love the most is joint between Good Girl Gone Bad sex short black hair bob and the lush red locks of the ballsy LOUD era. I swear I never saw so many bobs and short hair looks on ladies when GGGB was out, whoa!

And I agree with the majority, Rihanna should just sit it out this year, relax, recharge and comeback fully in the summer of next year (I'd push for Autumn release but this girl is impatient and loves her work so summer is reasonable!). If she waits it out she'll have the chart lanes open cause by then most of the campaigns launched this year will be wrapping up or well into their second halves so the competition will be quieter! More #1s in the bag ;)

Gotta say the rumoured producers she's got in her bag so far, Labrinth, Burns, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, all interesting safe moves but I want a little risky risky in there too! Bring Bangladesh back in, I loved the beat to Cockiness, that dub-Caribbean infusion is to die for!!
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know why Drunk On Love was in the iTunes chart yesterday? I saw it at #67. It's now dropped to about #98 in less than a day. Must've been used in a TV show somewhere or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know why Drunk On Love was in the iTunes chart yesterday? I saw it at #67. It's now dropped to about #98 in less than a day. Must've been used in a TV show somewhere or something?

I could have sworn I heard it in the background at the Olympics when they were interviewing an athlete, I'm not entirely sure though.

Rihanna is rumoured to be performing at the MTV VMA 2012 awards! It would be nice to see her perform since she's got so many nominations! If she is confirmed, what do we want her to perform?

Would love a Talk that Talk medley of Birthday Cake then into You Da One, Talk that Talk, bit of Where Have You Been and then bring the house down with We Found Love! I would suggest closing with launching a new single but I think we all pretty much believe this era is done. If a new single was to be released, I'd love a really dramatic shocking video for Drunk On Love or a sweet one for We All Want Love.

Have any of you changed your opinions to Talk that Talk tracks since it's launch last November? I've warmed to We All Want Love and Watch & Learn and Cockiness, all of which I never really took to before. I still love Drunk on Love, Where Have You Been, We Found Love loads too! Overall really think it's a solid album once you warm to the tracks you didn't automatically take to!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MCA1992 wrote: »
    Have any of you changed your opinions to Talk that Talk tracks since it's launch last November? I've warmed to We All Want Love and Watch & Learn and Cockiness, all of which I never really took to before. I still love Drunk on Love, Where Have You Been, We Found Love loads too! Overall really think it's a solid album once you warm to the tracks you didn't automatically take to!! :)

I've warmed to Birthday Cake but refuse to listen to the one with Chris Brown on it, absolutely hate it.

I've also gone from just liking We All Want Love to absolutely loving it, it's such a lovely song.

The only ones I can't seem to really click with are Fool In Love and Watch n Learn. They're ok but nothing special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've warmed to Birthday Cake but refuse to listen to the one with Chris Brown on it, absolutely hate it.

I've also gone from just liking We All Want Love to absolutely loving it, it's such a lovely song.

The only ones I can't seem to really click with are Fool In Love and Watch n Learn. They're ok but nothing special.

I love Rihanna performing Birthday Cake live, it's so outrageously sexual and the choreo...what a tease!

We All Want Love is beautiful, isn't it! Perfect summer song and so relatable! It's fast becoming one of my top 10 Rihanna songs :eek:

I haven't connected to Fool In Love either. I'm not majorly keen on any deluxe song if I'm honest, my fave is Red Lipstick from it though just for the Chase & Status production. :cool:

Is there any producers people desperately want Rihanna to work with? We know she is already working with Labrinth, Burns (associate of Calvin Harris), David Guetta, Ne-Yo.

I'd like Kanye West to produce a track or two for Rihanna, he's a very good producer! Chase & Status again would be cool, she's got a good niche going with them. Hit-Boy would be an interesting avenue for her to explore too. Bangladesh again too, yes!!

I know Stargate and The Dream both give Rihanna major hit after hit, but I'd like them to be used less on the next album so other producers can have a turn with her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I want Rihanna to perform at the VMA's so badly! She's never had a truly massive VMA's performance, so this year she can really take it to the next level. I would like her to perform 'Where Have You Been'. The song is still getting airplay and in the US, it's been in the top 10 for ages, so a high profile performance could push it all the way to the top 3 :)
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Congratulations to Riri, her album has shot to No.1 again. Was really surprised when I saw that on DS. I wonder how much it sold to get there. I doubt it'll be there next week, but perhaps this shows that there's still a little life left in it for one more release. I really would like them to do a video and release Drunk On Love.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Congratulations to Riri, her album has shot to No.1 again. Was really surprised when I saw that on DS. I wonder how much it sold to get there. I doubt it'll be there next week, but perhaps this shows that there's still a little life left in it for one more release. I really would like them to do a video and release Drunk On Love.

The album was on sale on various sites. iTunes had the album on sale for the whole week at £3.99. Nevertheless, congrats to riri.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm impressed/surprised Talk that Talk crept up to #1 without any high profile promo from Rihanna! Grab those sales girl! Well done! Perhaps this is a sign the UK is still invested in the Talk that Talk era! She might shift more copies next week when her style show starts.

I want a major VMA performance too, high profile performances always encourage the US to buy a single and this will give Where Have You Been the high profile boost it is crying for stateside! Although the aftermath of the VMAs will be a tough fight as Pink often steals the show with her huge award show performances! Can't wait!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely that Talk has made the top 10. After nine months, i can rightfully say it is her second best album next to RR
    Forum Member
    MCA1992 wrote: »
    I'm impressed/surprised Talk that Talk crept up to #1 without any high profile promo from Rihanna! Grab those sales girl! Well done! Perhaps this is a sign the UK is still invested in the Talk that Talk era! She might shift more copies next week when her style show starts.

I want a major VMA performance too, high profile performances always encourage the US to buy a single and this will give Where Have You Been the high profile boost it is crying for stateside! Although the aftermath of the VMAs will be a tough fight as Pink often steals the show with her huge award show performances! Can't wait!
    I agree. 'WHYB' is obviously a surefire hit, but for some reason I think it's been a little overlooked in the US. It's still well on its way towards double platinum status, but it deserves a top 3 placing and a performance at the VMA's will help her. The song obviously still has plenty of life left in it :cool:
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I agree. 'WHYB' is obviously a surefire hit, but for some reason I think it's been a little overlooked in the US. It's still well on its way towards double platinum status, but it deserves a top 3 placing and a performance at the VMA's will help her. The song obviously still has plenty of life left in it :cool:

I'd like her to do a big production performance of WHYB, maybe add a dance breakdown in it, lots of dancers etc. That would be really cool. It's one of my favourite songs from her. Loved it instantly when I first heard it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News!

Apparently Rihanna has released two images which are believed to be single covers for Cockiness and Roc Me Out, the one which is voted on Instagram with the most likes will be the one Rihanna will use as a new Talk that Talk single!

Link

I really hate that Roc Me Out cover art, hate the outfit but the Cockiness cover is nicer. I think Roc Me Out could chart well.
    Forum Member
    I don't think 'Roc Me Out' stands a chance tbh. It sounds identical to 'Rude Boy' and it's also similar to 'Talk That Talk', which underperformed. I think she should have gone with 'Watch n' Learn' or 'We All Want Love', but out of the two that she instagrammed, I'd choose 'Cockiness', just because it stands out a little, whereas 'Roc Me Out' doesn't.
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I don't think 'Roc Me Out' stands a chance tbh. It sounds identical to 'Rude Boy' and it's also similar to 'Talk That Talk', which underperformed. I think she should have gone with 'Watch n' Learn' or 'We All Want Love', but out of the two that she instagrammed, I'd choose 'Cockiness', just because it stands out a little, whereas 'Roc Me Out' doesn't.

I agree it does sound a bit like Talk That Talk so I'd rather they not release. Obviously I like the song but I can't see it doing well.

Maybe they should go for one of the ballads instead for a change.
    Forum Member
    MikePJB wrote: »
    I agree it does sound a bit like Talk That Talk so I'd rather they not release. Obviously I like the song but I can't see it doing well.

Maybe they should go for one of the ballads instead for a change.
    That's what I thought too. Either a ballad or 'Do Ya Thing', which is only in the deluxe edition, so it might be her 'Superbass' :D

I honestly didn't expect there would be another single out of this album. Maybe they're just trying to cover the gap between 'WHYB', the tour and the next lead single. And hopefully she will be at the VMA's next month (even though she hasn't confirmed anything yet) to promote this new single. But I also hope she performs 'WHYB' nonetheless, because the tracks is STILL in the top 10, so promo could benefit its chart run and help it reach double platinum status.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Talk that Talk could have done better with promotion - there was no music video and promo was really poor/non-existent/came too late at the time. If they do choose Roc Me Out it must be promoted, it can't/won't chart well without physical promo like Where Have You Been can do.

I would prefer Cockiness too because it gives Rihanna the opportunity to do a really wacky, trippy video and stand out from the crowd.

Drunk On Love/We All Want Love would be my choices for the ballads, I don't think we've had ballad Rihanna since California King Bed!!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you go by the usual Rihanna trend, we usually hear word of a new single by September to round the start of a new era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cockiness would do better than Roc Me Out easily. Roc Me Out is actually one of my all time favourite Rihanna tracks but I don't think it would work as a single, it's a little bit bland in that respect.

Cockiness could go either way... it's certainly controversial but are radio going to want to play it? But I guess if they played S&M and a song about putting your lips together, coming close and blowing whistles then they'll play anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Roc Me Out is awful.