F1 2012

Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
Forum Member
Just going to download the demo, I'm more excited about this than any other game. Anyone else eager to play it? its released on 21st Sep

Comments

• smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i skipped last years game, so looking forward to the new one. I enjoyed using kers and drs in the demo. Also in the new game we will get the new track in texas:D

Asda direct have the game on pre order for £30, i was going to wait until it was sub £20, but thought why not:)

http://direct.asda.com/Formula-1-2012---Xbox-360/003761870,default,pd.html
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    smcbeath wrote: »
    Yeah i skipped last years game, so looking forward to the new one. I enjoyed using kers and drs in the demo. Also in the new game we will get the new track in texas:D

Asda direct have the game on pre order for £30, i was going to wait until it was sub £20, but thought why not:)

http://direct.asda.com/Formula-1-2012---Xbox-360/003761870,default,pd.html

Yeah I had a little play on it and am impressed by the 2012 version. Just looked at the link for the PS3 version, same price so thats good :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    got the ps3 demo & ive got a driving force gt steering wheel & in terms of force feedback, on straghts there is no resistance, no feedback, nothing & this makes it tricky to drive. i've put all the ffb settings to 100% & nothing fixes this.

also getting very little feeling for grip level changes, whole ffb system feels really dumbed down & i cant drive like that, i need to feel the car underneath me.

i'll try the pc version later where i'll have more steering settings to play with via logitech profiler.

something else i dislike so far is how its next to impossible to get any oversteer, there's tons of understeer but no oversteer. even picking the car setup that says 'mild oversteer' gets me tons of understeer & no oversteer.

also had some odd penalty's. i got a penalty for an illegal overtake when i didn't actually overtake anyone. i got a penalty for contact when there was nobody around me, got a penalty for cutting a corner that i didn't cut & got a penalty for ignoring yellows when the yellow was behind me.

so far based off ps3 demo, not impressed.
  • Anime_FanAnime_Fan Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Agree with you regarding understeer & a general lack of feel for the car.

I’ve found a lack of feedback on the turn-in, which would help to find that sweet spot between a reactive car gripping in neutral balance and massive, unexpected understeer. The problem is that it’s hard to feel it when the car has grip and in a way I’m feeling like I have to drive as the game wants, not as I'd anticipate/feel out. It’s very early days and I need a bit more time to have a close look/feel.

Steve Hood of Codemasters on Twitter:
    The feel/understeer will be improved but not on Day 1

Sensitivity will be tweaked, agree it feels a little twitchy on initial input at the moment.

regarding penalty's:
    http://youtu.be/M7vCdtTew8c

Reading through the codemasters forums as well as others it seems the overwhelming consensus is that the demo is fine when playing with a gamepad but not so good if your trying to play with a wheel, especially on the ps3.

when playing with a wheel the cars are over-sensitive, understeer, have no feel, braking problems & impossible to get them to slide unless you open drs in a corner.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The F1 games from codemasters are absolutely atrocious. Why do people play this garbage? Live for Speed can be bought for the half the price on the PC and is superior in every way that matters and it came out 10 years ago. I say this and i've been a huge F1 fan all my life.

Hand on heart i wouldn't pick up F12012 if it was free.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    The demo thats out now is it going to be improved upon before the actual game is released on 21st? a couple of times I felt I had to literally hustle the car round the corners of the Yas Marina when doing the driver test other than that I feel its a good game, bear in mind the last time I played an F1 game was in 2006 on the PS2 when I believe Studio Liverpool were still around? so this is probably why I may have missed a few things in the demo, for me the game seems fine but playing certain bits on there more and more I agree with a few things that needs to be tweaked if it can before release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Have to say brought 10 and 11 version....dont see that many improvments so not getting this years...

grand prix 4 on pc..still the best in my eyes
    f1 97 on ps1...was great fun also
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloading it now, if i can't see any improvement from 2011 then it's a no go from me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't buy 2011, but had 2010. Doesn't seem to have changed one bit. Maybe I just can't remember well enough but the graphics seem worse to me.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    Played the demo on PS3 & PC, THe PC version definately seems better in terms of using a steering wheel.

I've also noticed the understeer mentioned above (And elsewhere) & also noticed that the brakes seem inconsistent. I touch the brakes a bit & the car doesn't slow down, Touch them a tiny bit more & everything locks up, Having to brake ridiculously early on many corners because of this.

Also on the young driver test it seems there's some sort of steering assist as at times the wheel seems to try & pull me round corners. Its especially noticeable down the 2nd straght with the kinks in it as I don't even have to actually turn the wheel through there, It turns itself?

With the exception of the understeer & braking issues im having the rest of the game feels fairly similar to 2011. As it stands Im not going to be buying this version.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to playing it and i will not be picking this game up. Feels like the car is driving on ice, you slide in the direction you want to go. You dont gradually move over, just slide. That's the only way i can explain it. Visually not much has changed, it looks polished but nothing stands out and says this is a brand new game and is great.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Not really into F1 and not played any of the other F1 games but I really enjoyed this demo. The graphics were fantastic too.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably could have patched 2011 to make 2012, but guess no self respecting money making machine is going to do that these days.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Played the demo on PS3 & PC, THe PC version definately seems better in terms of using a steering wheel.

I've also noticed the understeer mentioned above (And elsewhere) & also noticed that the brakes seem inconsistent. I touch the brakes a bit & the car doesn't slow down, Touch them a tiny bit more & everything locks up, Having to brake ridiculously early on many corners because of this.

Also on the young driver test it seems there's some sort of steering assist as at times the wheel seems to try & pull me round corners. Its especially noticeable down the 2nd straght with the kinks in it as I don't even have to actually turn the wheel through there, It turns itself?

With the exception of the understeer & braking issues im having the rest of the game feels fairly similar to 2011. As it stands Im not going to be buying this version.

It's good but it feels weird - there's no feeling coming through my controller, and I can't feel how much grip there is - in 2011, I could feel the grip of the car and when I was losing grip - in the demo, it's impossible to know. The car is twitchy on the straights and hard to control and it feels so light and floaty, as if there's no downforce. I'm spinning out with traction control on (only assist I play), the brakes are variable, the understeer I can live with. The cars seem a lot harder to drive than in 2011. It seems a lot more realistic compared to 2012 but the only issue that needs solving is the twitchiness.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not found the physics to be floaty at all when playing with the game pad. With the understeer, it's about what I would expect with the brakes on full going into corners and also with too much slip angle in some cases.

It could just be that the aero model needs tweaking, but you have to remember that they're probably trying to simulate the DF levels and tires for this year. So unless the car has good mechanical grip, the steering will be pretty hairy below certain speeds.

Have only tried the McLaren so far....will have to see if the RBR *spit* feels differently.

I only spun once, and that was totally my own fault for laying down the power to early. Going to try it with my GT Driving Force at some point today.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After playing a few races, I really can't say anything against the physics. The only problem seems to be the deadzone on the wheel.

I can't work out if the deadzone is too small, so it registers small movements too soon, or so big that the player overcompensates with small movements.

Maybe it's the lack of forcefeedback with small slip angles that's the problem. The car might not feel so floaty to others if it kicked in a bit sooner with small steering inputs.

One thing that made me laugh was that Codies seem to be simulating the inconsistent stewarding to a tee.
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad I spent £5.99 simply upgrading to Gold on Xbox in order to download the demo rather than shall out 6x that on the actual game. It is awful! Apparently the new thing this year was to cover the tracks in ice, pity noone ever mentioned it. The steering is terrible, the long straights at Monza were virtually impossible, you only had tweak the steering whilst on a straight and you'd go sliding into the barriers. The car is in no way underneath you, cornering is terrible, and that's with me having tried all the bog standard set ups. It's just ugly.

Graphics wise, nothing's changed from '11. Getting into the car pre qualifying/race is EXACTLY the same, as are the celebrations if you land pole; being greeted in the paddock by those who finished 2nd and 3rd etc, it's exactly the same air punching celebration as seen in '11.

Overall a HUGE disappointment, they do say the originals are the best, that's why I still play '10 and still love it.
  • TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded the F1 2012 demo on The XBOX 360 and personally I have to diss agree with most on this thread.

I really enjoyed the demo. The graphics.and animation are superb and presentation is excellent.

I did find that the F1 cars do under steer a bit but nothing like as bad as what most of you on this thread are saying.

And I feel that the demo and there for the game has a very Sky Sports F1 feel about it with the uses of David Croft and Anthony Davidson which is fine by me.

And the first F1 car that you get to drive in the young driver test is Jenson Buttons number 3 McLAREN which is great. :)

As a huge Formula 1 fan I will deffenatly be buying this game at work on Friday for the XBOX 360 and I will get it for a very good price as I have Tesco club card vouchers.

And with WRC 3, F1 Race Stars, Forza and the new Need For Speed game being released during October and November us racing/driving game fans have never had it so good.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not happy with this demo...

For a start the drivers actually attending the real 'Young Drivers Test' were not driving up and down in straight lines and learning to brake.....they were out there putting the laps down. This game should stop trying to be a bit of everything and stick to either sim or arcade....as for 'sim' that's pretty laughable considering the physics engine used for the cars hasn't been updated in years, many titles have much better responsive/realistic feedback.

There's been plenty of comments in the sim racing communities that this game has all but finished off playing with a wheel, I'm inclined to agree. With a pad the game felt ok but with a wheel it was noticably worse than last year.

For me a racing game is all about 'feel', the graphics and layout of a game is of little concern to me if the core aspect of the game is lacking. F1 2012 surely lives up to the previous versions in that style if massively favoured over substance.

The handling of the car was attrocious with a wheel, really laggy and unresponsive. Even with FFB turned up to 100% it felt the feedback was more set along pre programmed parameters rather than being organically generated from your own driving. The car had very little feel and subtle naunces in the handling were lacking, a very much on/off feel to it. Even driving down the straight you'd expect to feel the slight difference in grip across the car. Upon turn in the initial off throttle understeer is trying to replicate what happens in real life but coupled with the stupid way the car pitches and leans into the corners it ends up looking and feeling slow and laggy.

Personally I found the cars not that enjoyable to drive and it all felt a bit childish to me, there's subtle aids working away in the background correcting the steering which wound me up no end, I like being given 100% control, not 95% control with a slight helping hand if I run wide (subtle steering aids are usually built in to help pad users due to their limited 30 degrees of turning stick motion).

Codemasters have done nothing to dispell the endless comments about each year being a touch up of the previous. If you haven't got any of the newer F1 games then I'd recommend renting/borrowing this before you part with the cash for it properly. For those not well versed in racing games (and not stuff like DIRT and Crash) then F1 2012 will seem excellent, try out more of the sim based games and you'll see 2012 short comings.

One last thing...any redemming qualities were lost when you're given JB's #3 car to start with....I may of crashed it on purpose a few times ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    So I downloaded the Demo on PS3, first impressions are that the game is well presented, decent graphics. Now comes the problem, I have a DFGT and playing the game was bearable at first, after getting a few laps in and putting the steering linearity up to 25% and leaving all the others at 0% it felt ok, far from perfect but ok. I then loaded up F1 2011 and in comparison the handling, feedback felt perfect, the car handled very well. I then loaded up the F1 2012 demo again and I simply could not play it as I could barely keep the car heading in a straight line as when i applied the slightest steering input the car veered to the other side of the track, I also got massive under steer at a couple of corners at Yas Marina and Lesmos1/2. Also going into the first chicane the car refused to stop even when I broke from before the 150m marker. I even watched the replays and noticed that the front right locked up on occasion, but not every time, this meant that I very rarely hit the apex.

All I can say is this better be sorted before launch as I just can't comprehend how the steering can go from near perfect in 2011 to terrible in 2012, I mean they could just use the same coding couldn't they?
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The game apparently has not even got a championship mode. So you can not drive through a full season as Jenson Button are a real f1 driver. If this is true its a no sale for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asda direct are excellent. My £30 copy just arrived, installing it now. Think i will go straight into career mode, 10 years please.

Dont think i will bother too much with it online. I saw on the codemasters forum some guy was doing 1m 21s in the demo around monza. I was doing 1m 27.5s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So i have just redone the youg drivers test, day 1 again, got 3 achievements and 60 points, and also first race on career, got another achevo 5pts.

I chose ma russia, straight into qualy, finished 24th. Changed tyre strategy to prime first till lap 9, then soft till end of race, 15 laps. Think 25% race distance was the shortest i could choose. After first lap was upto 16th with bruno senna all over me till he made his pit stop. I was as high as 4th before mine, came back out at 16th. My fastest lap came on the soft tyres only 1.2 secs of hamiltons best. Was catching the drivers in front of me while dropping of senna off, just not enough laps. Not sure of the difficulty, but it was fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    you think any supermarkets will be selling it today? im working all weekend and forgot to preorder :(. dont wanna wait till monday :-/
  • TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be buying F1 2012 for the XBOX 360 on my first brake at work and I will have a go on it during my lunch brake.

But I on XBOX Live there is a F1 212 VIP Pass which costs 800 points.

The description for this is as followes.

Download the VIP Pass (There is a small star at the end of Pass above the last s) to unlock all F1 2012s extensive multiplayer modes, including: o 2player Co-Op career mode o 16 player GRAND PRIX races (There Is a small star at the end of races above the last s) Purchase is not required if you already have a VIP Pass code.

Should I buy the F1 2012 VIP Pass?

I need to know tonight so that if I do need the F1 2012 VIP Pass then I can buy a Microsoft XBOX 360 points card tomorrow at work when I buy F1 2012.