Another Panasonic DVD Recorder queery!

Just purchased a DMR-EZ49VEB and trying to record a program from my Skybox lasting 138 minutes onto a DVD-RW.

It didnt work because it was set to 'SP' (120mins) but can't see how to alter this setting.

Been through the Function Menu and the one option I can find is to alter EP from 6 to 8 hrs.

But the machine still reads SP on the facia..

Help.....please....

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this a timer or 'one-touch' recording?

Pages 29 and 30 of the user manual should help explain
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/A73JN%20Manual.pdf
  • RINGWAYMANRINGWAYMAN Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    One touch recording....still reading down those pages.

Have read the manual several times also but nothing jumps out at me..
    Forum Member
    Theres nothing there I can see that changes SP....

Have seen somewhere else that pressing through REC MODE changes SP/LP/XP etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The attached from the user manual explains flexible recording setting - ideal for your 138min. programme.
    This, as I recall, is the way it worked on my Panasonic DVD recorder
    http://postimg.org/image/v3wwn8n3v/
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys, the actual way you change SP to LP/EP/XP is to scroll through the REC.MODE button on the remote...

Now, call me thick but it isn't anywhere in the 95-page booklet!

I only found this from another source
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RINGWAYMAN wrote: »
    Thanks guys, the actual way you change SP to LP/EP/XP is to scroll through the REC.MODE button on the remote...

With a Panny the easiest way to record this is to use flexible recording, it will also give the best quality.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RINGWAYMAN wrote: »

I did download the manual and have a look. There is a step by step guide to making a recording that on one step just has a picture of a finger on the REC MODE button and next to it an image that I took to be a representation of some pop up that might appear on screen with the SP/XP/EP etc modes listed.

But nothing to say that you had to press the button repeatedly to select the mode you wanted or use any Up/Down arrow/OK buttons on the remote to do so. So not exactly clear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    With a Panny the easiest way to record this is to use flexible recording, it will also give the best quality.
    Which is what I tried to explain in post 5

BTW - although it's academic now as the OP has found a way to select recording speeds this is covered in the manual

http://postimg.org/image/w27ithid5/
    http://postimg.org/image/ri1yx8or9/
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Which is what I tried to explain in post 5

Yes I know, I was agreeing with you. I didn't feel the need to specifically acknowledge your post since it was only one earlier in the thread.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    To be fair, DVD recorders have always been pretty complicated and confusing to work.

We used to get people coming in the shop, wanting to buy a DVD recorder for their 90+ year old grandmother, because she "can't work her VCR" - we usually managed to talk them out of it.

As many people couldn't ever work their VCR's (my mother was the only one in the village who could set timed recordings - because I gave her a Sharp Talking Handset VCR :D), it would have been nice to think that DVD recorders would have been made easier - nope :p

What is easy of course is a PVR, with Sky+ probably being the best example - even old grandma's can work it (usually). One of out engineers has a TVonics PVR he was given, it had never been used as the elderly lady couldn't work it - he suggested she might like to sell it, but she said he could have it. I've recently got one as well (faulty, customer bought a new one), I just can't believe the crappy green colour of the EPG?.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, DVD recorders have always been pretty complicated and confusing to work. [..]
    What is easy of course is a PVR.

This is absolutely true. DVD recorders were *never* a good replacement for VCRs. If anything, they were even less convenient. VCRs- despite their occasional flakiness with cassettes recorded on other machines- didn't force people to worry about what disc type, brand or dye formulation would work with a fussy machine.

I've commented previously that (IMHO) DVD recorders were a red herring when it came to video *recording*. You can understand why people thought otherwise early on; DVD players replaced VHS for prerecorded films, so DVD recorders should do so for recording. And- while being more obviously "high tech"- they share the same operational pattern as VCRs (i.e. a removable media model)- making them the most obvious successor.

But they weren't. Most recording on VCRs was timeshifting, and a DVR is far more suited to that. DVD recorders were like VCRs with added flakiness and complexity (and still required changing media). OTOH, a good DVR uses the technology to its advantage, i.e. to hide almost anything technological- even worrying about media- from the user.

I mean, a couple of years back I heard somone ask about buying compatible discs for their recorder so they can record Coronation Street. Which is just ridiculous- you just feel like saying (in a helpful way)... honestly, save yourself the hassle and get a DVR.

I think the public in general have now realised this as they got out of the "video recorder" mindset, though.

I remember commenting to my Dad that- even if you explained what it did- if you'd then asked my techno-phobic Mum if she wanted a DVR/PVR, she wouldn't have. On the other hand, if she actually got one and used it, I guessed, she'd love it.

Coincidentally, my brother got them one for Christmas the same year... and I was spot on. :)
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've stopped burning DVD's now - but i think the problem is that to fit a recording greater than 2 hrs on to a 4.7Gb disc, will probably need to be done in real time. The panasonic fast transfer just won't fit.

(having said that I'm thinking of a DVD recorder with hard disk - maybe the model under discussion does not have a hard disk)

i agree with comments above. for general time shifting, a PVR is great. Generally records 2 things at the same time, start from where you last viewed etc.

The only slight issue is that you cannot directly archive recordings.