Fed up of The Voice "hitting out at" X Factor and Cowell

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 488
Forum Member
I know some people prefer XF, some prefer The Voice, but come on BBC/Tom Jones/Danny...

Everyday there is another story of one of them saying something negative about XF or BGT.

Latest one, Tom Jones
Sir Tom Jones also had a dig at Britain's Got Talent, arguing that singers should be judged against singers, rather than variety acts.

"Our show is celebrating singers. You are not going on a variety show with other kinds of acts, you are going on with other singers," said the 'Sex Bomb' singer.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s154/the-voice-uk/news/a467715/voice-uk-danny-odonoghue-slams-cowell-shows-they-destroy-people.html
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Well OBVIOUSLY... That's what X Factor is for, musical acts. BGT is about all types of talent, and if a singer happens to show up, they do!

I hope they really quiet down soon or I don't blame X Factor if they go all out on The Voice when they return in the summer. The X Factor only commented back last year in reply to The Voice's 2012 comments.

Comments

• annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read that The Voice hasn't been doing as well as they thought is would (in ratings, in sales, in contestant tour ticket demand), so maybe criticizing the concept of the Cowel shows is all they have at the moment.
    Once the platform will have successfully launched one of the talent, they will have something else to boast about (and it might or might not happen, I have no clue and wish all contestants the best).

I don't think it's the right way to go about things: they should work on bettering The Voice itself, not hit at the other talent shows... But it's probably the quickest way to get headlines.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think that a fair point from TJ. It is a bit crazy to judge a singer against a juggling dog or whatever.

it should be one show for singers and one for the juggling dogs;)
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Same, it's really annoying going on the Digitalspy page and every other day there being an article with one of the stars of The Voice slamming Simon/BGT/TXF.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,502
    Forum Member
    Don't really see what Tom said as a dig tbh?

Jusdt the media creating a lot of fuss over nothing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree DS as well as the rest of the media are mainly at fault for baiting them, but they should know better than to bite.

I like both shows, but it puts me off The Voice when they talk about 'credibility' when I remember acts like Sam Buttery, Barbrara Briseland and Matt and Jolene from last year. As well as the sob stories.

But they did produce Bo Bruce, so there is hope.
    Forum Member
    Same, it's really annoying going on the Digitalspy page and every other day there being an article with one of the stars of The Voice slamming Simon/BGT/TXF.

DS is extremely biased towards BGT; you could tell from the articles last year and the fact that one of the DS people went to audition.

DS new page just isn't worth looking at with regards The Voice/ BGT
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    They all did exactly the same thing last year and the ratings said it all
    Forum Member
    They all did exactly the same thing last year and the ratings said it all

Yep best debut for a reallty tv show ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But I read that they had lost about half of their viewers by the season finale, was that info correct?
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can't have confidence in their own format if they continually have to criticise another, as they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was. So why did it not build it's audience? Why did the ratings fall? People tune in to see what it's like out of curiosity, then didn't stick with it?
    Fudd wrote: »
    They can't have confidence in their own format if they continually have to criticise another, as they do.

Well, spot on. Running down the competition to inflate yourself. If you are the best you don't need to keep criticising another show.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are we not forgetting that in particular louis takes quite an active role at running down the competition?:o only last year he had plenty to say about the voice and one of its judges. practically every year he lays into strictly and that`s before i even mention simon`s comments.:D

i don't think tom`s comments are quite on par with one of louis`s tirades, but both parties are essentially making comments about other shows to make their own show seem the better alternative.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People talk of The Voice ratings being bad BUT, When compaired with X Factor ratings and shares for daylight savings factored in. The Voice performed better than last years X Factor. There was a rather impressive debate about it all in the ratings thread a few months ago.

X Factor has suffered a far greater decline in peak viewers than The Voice has.

Anyway as the poster above says. Simon and Louis spent a long time slagging off Strictly. Simon even admitted the only reason he poached Aleesha was to spite the BBC. Shame it backfired because Dacey ended up making the show even better and its just had one of its most successful ever series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    are we not forgetting that in particular louis takes quite an active role at running down the competition?:o only last year he had plenty to say about the voice and one of its judges. practically every year he lays into strictly and that`s before i even mention simon`s comments.:D

i don't think tom`s comments are quite on par with one of louis`s tirades, but both parties are essentially making comments about other shows to make their own show seem the better alternative.

Louis lays it on everyone anyway... His fellow judges, contestants, even presenters of the X factor (he fought qwith Dermot at one point), and the rest of the world as well (The voice among others).
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Louis lays it on everyone anyway... His fellow judges, contestants, even presenters of the X factor (he fought qwith Dermot at one point), and the rest of the world as well (The voice among others).

i don't see what difference that makes.:confused: louis is a judge on the x factor and he often hits out about rival shows, simon does the same thing too. i appreciate that people are fed up with judges from the voice making comments about simon`s shows, but its not as if simon and his team are not guilty of doing the same thing in the press.:o
  • PJ RiverPJ River Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read that The Voice hasn't been doing as well as they thought is would (in ratings, in sales, in contestant tour ticket demand), so maybe criticizing the concept of the Cowel shows is all they have at the moment.
    Once the platform will have successfully launched one of the talent, they will have something else to boast about (and it might or might not happen, I have no clue and wish all contestants the best).

I don't think it's the right way to go about things: they should work on bettering The Voice itself, not hit at the other talent shows... But it's probably the quickest way to get headlines.

In France The Voice is a real success !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ River wrote: »
    In France The Voice is a real success !

it's doing OK in the US too in the rating department (I think), the problem was just that they hadn't really launched anyone's career yet. But it can always happen with the next batch.

Did they have a singer breaking through in the music scene from the voice in France? I don't watch it, so...

All these shows should stop criticzing eachother and focus on their contestants and public anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i don't see what difference that makes.:confused: louis is a judge on the x factor and he often hits out about rival shows, simon does the same thing too. i appreciate that people are fed up with judges from the voice making comments about simon`s shows, but its not as if simon and his team are not guilty of doing the same thing in the press.:o

I just can't take Louis seriously (even as a judge), so i don't see him as representing the X factor. But I suppose that you are actually right.
    Simon is moreaware of what he is saying and should know better.

They (all those people from talent shows) should just all stop...
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's always going to be some inter-show banter between these kinds of shows. The Voice coaches are just irritating because they're so pompous about it all, as if their show isn't just a big gimmick based around spinning chairs. Plus, they seem to do it a lot. It's almost a constant drip of moaning when at the same time, 3 out of the 4 of them have shown up to plug their own material on X Factor.

Tom Jones, you think, would have been aware of the history of variety shows. Even with its attention divided across all kinds of acts, Britain's Got Talent has discovered far more successful singers than The Voice. Indeed, Susan Boyle was the whole template for The Voice.

The Voice is a bit desperate this year, nobody's 100% sure how it's going to go. From being on top of the world early on last year, everything came crashing down around them. The general feeling seems to be that it won't be able to grow from last years premiere.
    People talk of The Voice ratings being bad BUT, When compaired with X Factor ratings and shares for daylight savings factored in. The Voice performed better than last years X Factor. There was a rather impressive debate about it all in the ratings thread a few months ago.

The Voice rose sharply early on, hitting a high of 10.7m. That's great. Then, within a matter of weeks, it was down at 4.5m. No possible excuse can explain that complete collapse. If you want to talk audience share (and people generally don't), it went from a very impressive high of 46% to less than 28% (and that facing far easier competition, thus making it easier to pick up share points).

The X Factor was down from the previous year but consistently rated in the 8.0-9.5m range. At no point in the shows history has it rated as low as 4.5m. For a brief moment it seemed like The Voice might be as big as X Factor once was, by the end of series one it was rating more like Lets Dance For Comic Relief.
    X Factor has suffered a far greater decline in peak viewers than The Voice has.

The crazy thing is, that's not even true. Since 2010, starting from a base of 17m, X Factor lost 6.1m to the final in 2012.

In the space of 7 weeks in its very first series, when ratings should be rising, The Voice lost 6.2m.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it`s just to create a bit of hype tbh. i`ll most likely will watch The Voice but other than their digs at xf i haven`t heard any other buzz for it :/

i do wish Danny & Jessie would shut up though.
    Danny i feel would quickly change his tune give he or his band was offered a gig on XF
    Same for Jessie she had no problem using both BGT & XF to promote her shit & also being a guest judge w/ Tulisa.

tbh i don`t know why the Bbc didn`t replace both these
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said, C14E. The voice (no pun intended) of reason again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    but its okay for simon of course to make repeated digs at the voice! which he does regularly over in the USA except over there the x factor just rates poorly and he looks like a fool
    of course over here the voice coaches just repeatedly get questions about x factor and BGT because their such big specimens, and anything they say just basically gets blown out of proportion because the english press need to support their darling simon
    although I will say I wish the voice coaches would just handle it better and not take the bait!
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    But I read that they had lost about half of their viewers by the season finale, was that info correct?

It lost a lot of viewers, yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    It lost a lot of viewers, yes.

yes but the finale actually as only a million short of the launch show

the actual numbers are in the ratings thread somewhere but I believe it was the semi final and the show before that which rated extremely poorly, 4-5 million
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    Deleted