The Walking Dead S3 (US Pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyreese and Beth made into series regulars next season. Oh an that other lass that was with Tyreese!

Still no Carol as a series regular. or Hershall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    Tyreese and Beth made into series regulars next season. Oh an that other lass that was with Tyreese!

That's just weird. Carol's been in it since the start and yet she's still not a series regular? Who she got to sleep with? :D Seriously, I think Melissa McBride's acting is supremely underrated. I think she's great.

Beth has sung a little and killed one walker. I don't really see how her living or dying contributes much to the group at this point. Yet they kill off a main central character like Andrea and Beth gets to stick around. Makes sense. :sleep:

No wonder the showrunner keeps getting the boot.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    At the start of S3 Milton tells the Governor that they've got 70-something people in Woodberry.
    I know that, later on, Milton gives him a run-down of all the people who're capable of joining his militia but I don't think the number of people Merle kills + the number of people the Gov' killed + the handful of people who got off the bus equals 70-odd people in total.

I dunno if it just looks that way because they didn't have the required number of extras but it seems feasible that a bunch of people might have chosen to remain in Woodberry and so Rick decided not to just "steal all their stuff".
    And, of course, that might explain why they went back to the prison rather than taking over Woodberry, if there were still people resident there.

If that is the case it's not a very smart decision because there's nothing to stop the Gov' finding a bunch of new recruits (The group of 30-odd from New York might well still be out there somewhere), taking them back to Woodberry, loading up his ma deuce and going back to the prison for round 2 but Rick doesn't always make the smartest choices.

Course, even if there ARE still people in Woodberry, maybe they've finally realised that the Gov' is a nutcase and would just use any remaining weaponry they have to slot him on sight?

Five were killed by Rick's group, seven were killed by Merle and The Governor killed just above 20. One was killed when walkers got into Woodbury.
    Take away the woman who escaped and the two who went with The Gov and you have at least 35 soldiers. The rest of the town were deemed incapable of fighting, and considering there are kids along with their mothers, old people and others who have things wrong that don't enable them to fight, plus a doctor to stay behind and that's pretty much all accounted for.

I know i'm being pedantic but it's Woodbury, not berry.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Five were killed by Rick's group, seven were killed by Merle and The Governor killed just above 20. One was killed when walkers got into Woodbury.
    Take away the woman who escaped and the two who went with The Gov and you have at least 35 soldiers. The rest of the town were deemed incapable of fighting, and considering there are kids along with their mothers, old people and others who have things wrong that don't enable them to fight, plus a doctor to stay behind and that's pretty much all accounted for.

I know i'm being pedantic but it's Woodbury, not berry.

Yeah, I really need to re-watch the episode where Milton is giving the Gov' the run-down on who's available.

It just didn't seem like there were that many people on the bus at the end and if some people did decide to stay in Woodbury (;)) it'd explain why Rick's crew didn't loot the place or move in.

I suppose it could just be that the skirmishes throughout S3 whittled the population down a bit, off-camera, what with zombies getting in etc and so the people on the bus at the end were everybody who was left.
    Course, if that's the case you're forced to wonder why Rick didn't loot the living-sh*t out of Woodbury.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carol and Herschel are essentially main characters in my eyes, they just aren't officially credited as such, which is strange. Carol especially, she's been "recurring" since Season 1 now. :D:o
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member

I like Sasha and Tyreese, so no problem with them becoming regulars.

Carol and Hershel get overlooked again, no surprise there :rolleyes:

Beth (the worlds oldest teenager) is the one I don't understand. Does this mean even more cringey singing? :(
    Forum Member
    Carol and Herschel are essentially main characters in my eyes, they just aren't officially credited as such, which is strange. Carol especially, she's been "recurring" since Season 1 now. :D:o

It kinda bugs me the way Carol seems to get overlooked.
    They just seem to use her as a "band-aid" when the plot requires it.
    Everybody else is busy and somebody says "You're a good shot now Carol so you defend us against the zombies".
    Hershel gets his leg hacked off and somebody says "Hershel taught you about medicine so you make him better Carol".

And yet we never actually get to see her doing any of this stuff.
    She just kind of appears out of the background, does the odd important thing and then fades away again. :(
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2FS wrote: »
    I like Sasha and Tyreese, so no problem with them becoming regulars.

Carol and Hershel get overlooked again, no surprise there :rolleyes:

Beth (the worlds oldest teenager) is the one I don't understand. Does this mean even more cringey singing? :(

I like to think she is becoming a series regular is an indication that she has a spectacularly bad death coming up next season - her singing attracts a Zombie hoard angered by her inappropriate Glee auditions :D

Or maybe she just gets bitten in the neck and to save her they have to cut out her vocal chords?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    That's just weird. Carol's been in it since the start and yet she's still not a series regular? Who she got to sleep with? :D Seriously, I think Melissa McBride's acting is supremely underrated. I think she's great.

Beth has sung a little and killed one walker. I don't really see how her living or dying contributes much to the group at this point. Yet they kill off a main central character like Andrea and Beth gets to stick around. Makes sense. :sleep:

No wonder the showrunner keeps getting the boot.

Well it depends what the new showrunner has in store for Beth.

Being a cast member is more daunting than being a guest really.

Beth, Hershall, Carol, Guv'nor, Tyreese & Sasha were all guests rather than full cast members.

Lori, Merle and Andrea were proper cast.
    Forum Member
    Well it depends what the new showrunner has in store for Beth.

Being a cast member is more daunting than being a guest really.

Beth, Hershall, Carol, Guv'nor, Tyreese & Sasha were all guests rather than full cast members.

Lori, Merle and Andrea were proper cast.

I wonder if it's more to do with acting experience, rather than how many lines the character gets? I say this because IronE Singleton was a full cast member and his main part was just standing in the back ground a lot, not doing anything of note. He has acted in other shows though, so is that the reason he was a full cast member?
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The writers need to learn to balance the storytelling better, so that every character has at least one episode to shine. Essentially, they need to make better use of the whole cast and write it more as a ensemble piece, not just for 3 or 4 characters. The problem right now is that they focus too much on the core characters such as Rick, Daryl, Glenn and Andrea and the rest of the cast become almost like glorified extras/supporting players at times. Too many characters like T-Dog, Axel and Oscar are criminally underused and then killed off with barely any screentime, character development or dialogue - their deaths have no real emotional impact for that reason. And yes, It's a shame Carol hasn't been promoted to a series regular as she's been on the show since S1.
  • seanwalfordseanwalford Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    If Beths a season regular now I have a funny feeling perhaps we could see her run off with Carl. They hinted slightly throughout the season that they liked each other and with Carl going a bit mad at the end of the season and Beth not doing much at all at the moment who knows what's in store!
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    I like to think she is becoming a series regular is an indication that she has a spectacularly bad death coming up next season - her singing attracts a Zombie hoard angered by her inappropriate Glee auditions :D

Or maybe she just gets bitten in the neck and to save her they have to cut out her vocal chords?:D

Script writers, take note! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the start of S3 Milton tells the Governor that they've got 70-something people in Woodberry.

The number is about right.

Ricks assault on Woodbury killed about 12 people.

Michonne killed 3 when Merle hunted her down. Merle killed one.

Merle himself leaves.

Merle takes out '8' of the guvnors best fighters.

Milton. Guvernor his two cronies that survive. That's 29.

I'd say there was at least 25 people killed by the gov on the road back from the prison. (+ the girl that survived).

That's 55. So that leaves 15 and there was definately that many when Tyreese and Sasha were at Woodbury when the attack was happening.

and that's not including the couple of people who died when the Governer attacked the prison when he killed Axel.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When -- after the "big showdown" -- people are reduced to debating about "there couldn't have been 70 people, there were 60 at most! Okay, maybe 63!!" and "my timeline says 3 years, and you 3 months is impossibly unlikely though it would make sense maybe in relation to this big old plot hole that started us arguing..."

When this is the kind of discussion a show about the Zombie Apocalypse leaves us with...

We got us some pretty flimsy stuff here.
    Forum Member
    Did we ever find out what the deal with Milton's tea was?

*Random thought of the day*
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's more to do with acting experience, rather than how many lines the character gets? I say this because IronE Singleton was a full cast member and his main part was just standing in the back ground a lot, not doing anything of note. He has acted in other shows though, so is that the reason he was a full cast member?

According to the cast section on the Wikipedia page (yes, I know :rolleyes::p), IronE Singleton was always a recurring cast member, while David Morrissey was a main cast member as opposed to guest / recurring.
    Forum Member
    According to the cast section on the Wikipedia page (yes, I know :rolleyes::p), IronE Singleton was always a recurring cast member, while David Morrissey was a main cast member as opposed to guest / recurring.

Oh sure, bring facts into it! :D

Could have sworn I saw his name at the beginning of the titles. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looking back on the penultimate episode, the fight scene between the Governor and Merle to be specific. The bit where the Governor bites Merle's finger off highlighted to me that the Governor and other psychopathic survivors like him are more savage than the zombies are in a way. I thought that was cool.
    Forum Member
    OpEd wrote: »
    When -- after the "big showdown" -- people are reduced to debating about "there couldn't have been 70 people, there were 60 at most! Okay, maybe 63!!" and "my timeline says 3 years, and you 3 months is impossibly unlikely though it would make sense maybe in relation to this big old plot hole that started us arguing..."

When this is the kind of discussion a show about the Zombie Apocalypse leaves us with...

We got us some pretty flimsy stuff here.

It's not really arguing. It's just speculating.

People were wondering how come they didn't choose to move to Woodbury or how come they didn't comandeer the Humvee's and weapons and if there were people who chose to remain at Woodbury it'd explain that. :)
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really arguing. It's just speculating.

People were wondering how come they didn't choose to move to Woodbury or how come they didn't comandeer the Humvee's and weapons and if there were people who chose to remain at Woodbury it'd explain that. :)

Yeah, I understand. I wasn't really so much commenting on the tone of the conversation... I just used "debating" then "arguing" then "discussion" for variety's sake.

My point was more about how it's pretty anti-climactic to be left with sort of semi-niggling issues like that when this show could/should be about the Zombie Apolcalyse and what we know about the zombies so far. ;)
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Did we ever find out what the deal with Milton's tea was?

*Random thought of the day*

White with 2 sugars wasn't it? :D

If Beth's going to be sticking around to entertain us with some more of her intricate vocal offerings then i think that as loyal viewers we should be entitled to an online vote as to what she delights us with next...anyone for an acapella version of Kinky Afro by the Happy Mondays? :p
  • chubstachubsta Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    As a character i have no particular love for Beth, as everyone says she doesnt really do much. But isnt that the whole point? She survives precisely because she is literally left at home holding the baby - she doesnt go on the foraging trips or on missions against Woodbury etc, so she will survive all the time the other characters take all the risks. With the 'old and infirm' being brought in from Woodbury surely we will now see a situation where the more 'vigorous' characters end up in even more dangerous situations purely because they have more lame mouths to feed, the exact opposite of Rick's attitude before now, where he didnt want to bring anyone in because it was hard enough with the small group to stay alive.
    Forum Member
    OpEd wrote: »
    My point was more about how it's pretty anti-climactic to be left with sort of semi-niggling issues like that when this show could/should be about the Zombie Apolcalyse and what we know about the zombies so far. ;)

Uhuh, I do agree.

I think, with a series like TWD, there's a balancing act between becoming a mindless action series or becoming a soap opera which just happens to have zombies in it.

I'm not entirely sure TWD has it exactly right (IMO, at least).

I think they've just about done the "hard choices have to be made" and "survivors can't trust each other" themes to death now and they really need to move the show along somehow.

It'd be a bit cliched to have them searching for some "cure" or "solution" to the zombie plague but, conversely, if they restrict themselves to the "surviving" theme, it IS bound to become a glorified soap opera IMO.

To digress a bit, the other yank show that I'm a fan of is NCIS and I wouldn't be surprised if the writers have a huge sign on the wall which says "NO PERSONAL STORIES!!!"
    It seems like, in 10 years of NCIS, they've only had about 3 or 4 episodes that are just about the lives of the characters.
    The rest of the shows are always about the work they do.
    I think that, perhaps, TWD could benefit from trying to steer the writers in a similar manner.
    Perhaps not quite so much as NCIS does but to some extent.

Anyway, must say that I'm re-watching S3 now, with the missus, and I gotta say that the more I see it the more I think that the end of S3 was a bit of a cop-out.
    After the way the Gov' treated Maggie, Glenn, Mishone, Daryl and Merle, there should have been more payback.

Hard to believe that those people, particularly, would be satisfied with the current outcome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si Crewe, just read through your timeline for the show. Very interesting and I think you have it spot on. Good job :).