Are touch screen AIOs responsive?

GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello all, it's been a while ;)

Right, I am potentially in the market for an all in one computer and I am weighing up my options. I will probably regret asking this as no doubt it is going to turn into a bit of a V's thing! I really don't want it to so please try not to let it. ;)

2 main options. A 27" iMac or a similar sized AIO Windows 8 PC.

Main benefit of the Apple is they do look lovely but I can't help but think a Windows option will suit me far better.

This is a potential: http://www.ebuyer.com/501920-acer-aspire-7600u-aio-desktop-dq-sl6ek-001

Main reasons I like this is the general spec, it looks nice (imo but not as nice as an iMac but looks aren't my top priority).
It has a TV tuner
Touch screen - could be handy for me but I haven't had chance to play with one yet, should really have a trip to pc world or somewhere and have a play. I assume they are responsive and don't lag when you use them?
This is bviously quite a bit cheaper than an iMac.

I do know Apples OS a bit, but am undoubtedly more familiar with Windows. I am sure I would make the move easily if I were to chose to do so.

In terms of use, will be both business and pleasure. I use photoshop and illustrator quite often and when I am working I tend to like to have 2 screens, the W8 AIO has a HDMI slot so that is definitely a plus.

My head is telling me to get a W8 AIO but my heart is telling me the iMac looks stunning and will look fab even set up in my living room. But I don't know if it is worth an extra £600-700.

Either way the storage for both is quite small in todays terms so will have my current decent spec PC with my 7TB worth of hard drives and probably use it as a bit of a server, which again is telling me to go for the W8 AIO as it will be much easier to network them and my laptop.

I think writing (or typing) it down has made me lean towards the W8. But what are peoples experiences with touch screen AIOs? Work well or still need some improvement?

Thanks guys ;)

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would have to include the cost of buying the Adobe software for the Mac.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My colleague got a Dell XPS One 27 from the Dell Outlet store for about £600. £900 cheaper than the equivalent iMac.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I tried out the Dell XPS1 27 at friends before I settled on my present set up. It all worked really well and there was no lag in using it for daily stuff. It was a nice looking bit of kit as well.
    I decided against it because after a fairly short while my arm began to ache and I couldn't imagine using it for very long as a touch screen. As I would be using the mouse and keyboard anyway for the majority of work (they come bundled with the XPS), I decided on a desktop and a higher resolution monitor and to forget about the touch aspect. The finger smudges on the screen helped with decision as well.
    That said, my friend, who owns it, swears by it and is completely happy with it......and it does look nice....:)
  • The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Two (unrelated) points to consider:

1. Is the touch screen necessary? Are there any non-touch screen options for the Windows AIO?
    2. The iMac will have an appreciable resale value compared to a Windows AIO. Have you factored this into your overall cost analysis?

I have a 2010 27" iMac at home. Whilst it is a pain in the arse some of the time and I am not the biggest fan of OSX, there is no doubt the quality of the computer, and in particular the screen, are superb.

Dave
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'd go with the iMac. They really are lovely computers. The build quality and screen are great and it's lovely and shiny :D It doesn't have a touch screen but is that really necessary? If you ever needed any Windows-only software or games you could put Windows 8 onto the iMac.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that touchscreen doesn't make much sense on AIO (though it does on laptops)...for conventional computer activities anyway. If you have kids standing up and swishing some fingers in freshpaint, that is a separate but secondary story.

I think you can buy a non-touchscreen version of the Dell XPS One 27. One improvement in Windows 8 over Windows 7 is for multi-touch gestures. I would suggest buying a multitouch trackpad, I think Logitech makes a nice one and use that in conjunction with the PC.

What I am suggesting set-up wise is pretty much identical to the iMac with magic trackpad. What the others have said about iMac is true. So it really comes down to do you prefer OS X vs. Windows and prefer the iMac to the Dell.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was playing with Apples trackpad the other day and I liked that so would be looking to get something like that with either option. Just been looking at the Logitech T650 which looks good. Just a shame it isn't bluetooth so it didn't use up a USB slot, but that's not a big deal.

Thanks all for your opinions, still weighing the 2 up. Although I think it may be a W8 machine as, like Stig said, I would have to re-buy the Adobe software I use if I were to get a mac which is a further added expense.