Kindle vs Hudl vs Asus Memo. Help please!

Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
Forum Member
✭✭
We're thinking of getting the kids (daughter 8 yrs, son 6 yrs) reasonably priced tablets for Xmas. I thought I'd ask you knowledgable folks for your tuppence worth as I just can't read anymore reviews - I have got to that point where the reviews are making me even more confused. I am a dreadful technophobe so please, please be gentle with me. :D

I'm fairly sure I've shortlisted it down to the following:

Kindle Fire HD - my husband has one and they love to pinch his. I'm drawn to this as the Kindle is a well known name that the kids instantly recognise. I can just see them on Xmas Day: 'I have my own Kindle!!!' as opposed to 'Um, what's this? Hudleh? What is it?' ....however....

The Hudl seems geared toward their age group and apparently it has Google Play and great apps. Now, I have Google Play on my phone but it means nothing to me but my daughter's friend tells me that this is a Must Have for the en vogue 8 yr old. :confused: Is it? Does anyone think Google Play and the apps of the Hudl outweigh the apparent superiority (according to the reviews I have read) of the other two on my shortlist?

Asus Memo Pad 7 - see, this is where I've got all confused; I can't recall why this made the shortlist. This is the one I know least about. I think I considered this as the Nexus got good reviews (but was too expensive for us) and this compares favourably with the Nexus.

Considering my kids will mainly use it for games, music, books, camera and possibly videos does anyone know if any of these will or won't meet their needs, e.g. good for games but expensive or difficult to download music? How do they compare?

At the moment I think I'd prefer the Kindle but I'm worried it will be poor in comparison to the Hudl in terms of games and apps. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading! :)

Oh, also, if there's likely to be an availability issue for any of these tablets that would be good to know too so I can scrap that idea.

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Seeing as you are not into tech and already have the Kindle Fire HD and so know how to use it and what it can do I'd probably go with that option.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Seeing as you are not into tech and already have the Kindle Fire HD and so know how to use it and what it can do I'd probably go with that option.

Thanks Alan. Tbh I don't even use the Kindle - it's my husband's. Any new phones or devices that come into our house are temporarily handed over to Mr Tinks with the instruction, 'Put stuff on that for me.' :o
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally I'd steer people away from the Kindle because it doesn't have google play (which ultimately means fewer apps). But if you've got one in the house already and people are happy with it then go for it!

Hudl vs Memo Pad is pretty tight. I really like ASUS products but the Hudl is a great little package. There was a description somewhere of the memo pad being like a 2012 edition Nexus 7 spec-wise and that's pretty accurate. But then so is the Hudl!

i found this which compares exactly those three:
    http://www.t3.com/features/tesco-hudl-vs-kindle-fire-hd-vs-asus-memopad-hd

In terms of functionality for music there's nothing between them. For games, there'll be fewer for the kindle Fire.

Scarcity I hear that the hudl is short of supply but that's only anecdotal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Normally I'd steer people away from the Kindle because it doesn't have google play (which ultimately means fewer apps). But if you've got one in the house already and people are happy with it then go for it!

Hudl vs Memo Pad is pretty tight. I really like ASUS products but the Hudl is a great little package. There was a description somewhere of the memo pad being like a 2012 edition Nexus 7 spec-wise and that's pretty accurate. But then so is the Hudl!

i found this which compares exactly those three:
    http://www.t3.com/features/tesco-hudl-vs-kindle-fire-hd-vs-asus-memopad-hd

In terms of functionality for music there's nothing between them. For games, there'll be fewer for the kindle Fire.

Thank you Paul, that's great. Still awfully fond of the Hudl but Mr T is swaying more toward the Kindle. Our daughter will certainly use hers more for reading than anything else, and the review in your link there mentions the colour and clarity of the Hudl screen may be annoying if reading outdoors.

Although I worry the Kindle won't have enough apps, Mr T reckons it'll have enough to keep them happy. I also just discovered that Currys (our closest store) are offering a £20 voucher when you buy a Kindle which we can put toward accessories or Wii games.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Definitely short of supply. My brother has been trying to get one for over a week. No stock at the nearest two stores and initially a supposed two week wait for online orders.

Of the three, I'd go with the Hudl. Kindle ereaders are fine but I've never been sure about the Fire. Another family member bought one on a whim and is always moaning about it.
    Hudl is a purer Android experience and the hardware is made by Archos, apparently. It's getting rave reviews all over the place and the demo unit I've seen was impressive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Definitely short of supply. My brother has been trying to get one for over a week. No stock at the nearest two stores and initially a supposed two week wait for online orders.

Of the three, I'd go with the Hudl. Kindle ereaders are fine but I've never been sure about the Fire. Another family member bought one on a whim and is always moaning about it.
    Hudl is a purer Android experience and the hardware is made by Archos, apparently. It's getting rave reviews all over the place and the demo unit I've seen was impressive.

Oh you! I was almost settled on the Kindle but now you're swaying me with the Hudl again.:D See, I'm really impressed with the Hudl; my husband isn't so keen. He's pro-Kindle, having one himself.

I think we might try to get Hudls but if there's going to trouble getting hold of them we'll just go with the Kindle - I need to know we've got them and have made a start on the Xmas shopping.

Thanks for all your replies...believe or not you have helped. I wish I wasn't so indecisive!
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you opt for the Hudl there are various purchase options, for example:
    * In a Tesco store
    * Tesco online grocery deliveries (delivered by Tesco and you can specify the time to an hour)
    * Tesco Direct (delivered by courier, I think you can specify normal or express but not a specific day or time of day)
    * Tesco Direct click and collect in store
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting,didn't know you could get hardware on the groceries service...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting,didn't know you could get hardware on the groceries service...

Not at the moment, apparently. In the Hudl profile it says:

"We are currently low on stock, so please visit Tesco direct"

Having said that, as I mentioned in the other Hudl thread, Tesco have been blown away by demand on the Hudl and are running around like headless chickens so anything could happen... (my brother's Hudl finally turned up this morning and he rates it very highly...)
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say hudl - hands down.

They can read all of their Kindle books via the Kindle app from the Play Store but they'll also have access the hundreds of thousands of android apps therein.

The amazon app store is complete crap :D

The hudl is an amazing little gizmo and dare I say that it (especially the coloured ones) looks more child-friendly IMO

And besides, better to have a different brand rather than 2 the same, surely? The kids will benefit from learning how to use both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    I'd say hudl - hands down.

They can read all of their Kindle books via the Kindle app from the Play Store but they'll also have access the hundreds of thousands of android apps therein.

The amazon app store is complete crap :D

The hudl is an amazing little gizmo and dare I say that it (especially the coloured ones) looks more child-friendly IMO

And besides, better to have a different brand rather than 2 the same, surely? The kids will benefit from learning how to use both.

Thanks Bunions. You make good points and I agree. I have to say I find the Kindle a bit boring, but my husband loves his. I think the kids - once they realise it's just like Kindle - will love the look of the Hudl and I know it'll take more abuse than the Kindle. Thanks for telling me about the kindle app for the Hudl - that's good to know.

I'm just worried about the picture quality of the Hudl; I've read it's not great - a bit dull and washed out.

Also - now this is where I'm a bit wet behind the ears - memory or storage. If we were going for the kindle we'd likely get them 16 rather 8 (whatchamacallits) as they'll probably want all kinds of guff on their tablets. One review said that the Hudl's memory was poor, but that's by a gadget guru's standards. Would the Hudl be able to take a cartload of books, endless One Direction videos, games, movies, clips of people farting and a variety of photos of their own feet? My husband manages fine with an 8 (mb?) but we think they'll want movies on theirs which will use up a lot of memory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we were going for the kindle we'd likely get them 16 rather 8 (whatchamacallits) as they'll probably want all kinds of guff on their tablets. One review said that the Hudl's memory was poor, but that's by a gadget guru's standards. Would the Hudl be able to take a cartload of books, endless One Direction videos, games, movies, clips of people farting and a variety of photos of their own feet? My husband manages fine with an 8 (mb?) but we think they'll want movies on theirs which will use up a lot of memory.

The Hudl has 16GB memory as standard plus you can add more memory if you wish (it takes memory cards). That's certainly not poor.

I don't think the Kindle Fire can take memory cards. However, yeah, the Kindle has a better camera - depending on which model you get. The Kindle Fire HD has no cameras at all, apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hudl has 16GB memory as standard plus you can add more memory if you wish (it takes memory cards). That's certainly not poor.

I don't think the Kindle Fire can take memory cards. However, yeah, the Kindle has a better camera - depending on which model you get. The Kindle Fire HD has no cameras at all, apparently.

That's certainly not poor memory - I'd be very happy with that. Thanks for that. The Hudl has won me over - I hope I can get my hands on them after all this because I'm so sold on the idea I can't belive I considered anything else. :D

My husband has a Kindle HD Fire and it has a camera on it (if I'm not mistaken) but it's not great and he never uses it. The device suits his basic needs: books, reading BBC news online and playing the odd zombie game. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband has a Kindle HD Fire and it has a camera on it (if I'm not mistaken) but it's not great and he never uses it. The device suits his basic needs: books, reading BBC news online and playing the odd zombie game. :cool:

I think things might've changed with the Amazon tabs. On their site it has the specs for the new models and the latest Fire HD (£119) has no cameras. The Fire HD 8.9" and Fire HDX (£199) both have front facing cameras and the Fire HDX 8.9" (£329) has front and rear cameras...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think things might've changed with the Amazon tabs. On their site it has the specs for the new models and the latest Fire HD (£119) has no cameras. The Fire HD 8.9" and Fire HDX (£199) both have front facing cameras and the Fire HDX 8.9" (£329) has front and rear cameras...

Ah right...I'm so, so glad you pointed that out because, if we couldn't get the Hudl, we would have bought the Kindle Fire HD for the kids thinking it was the same as the one we already have. The kids would be so disappointed to not have a camera - even if they only use it to take blurred photos of their feet, their Build-a-Bears and the back of my head while I'm driving. :D Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Bunions. You make good points and I agree. I have to say I find the Kindle a bit boring, but my husband loves his. I think the kids - once they realise it's just like Kindle - will love the look of the Hudl and I know it'll take more abuse than the Kindle. Thanks for telling me about the kindle app for the Hudl - that's good to know.

I'm just worried about the picture quality of the Hudl; I've read it's not great - a bit dull and washed out.

Also - now this is where I'm a bit wet behind the ears - memory or storage. If we were going for the kindle we'd likely get them 16 rather 8 (whatchamacallits) as they'll probably want all kinds of guff on their tablets. One review said that the Hudl's memory was poor, but that's by a gadget guru's standards. Would the Hudl be able to take a cartload of books, endless One Direction videos, games, movies, clips of people farting and a variety of photos of their own feet? My husband manages fine with an 8 (mb?) but we think they'll want movies on theirs which will use up a lot of memory.
    Oh you're welcome WT :)

Raving about the hudl's merits has become my new hobby :D

If you can't get the coloured ones, don't worry because there are gel cases for them in bright funky colours. TBH, with kids as young as yours I'd opt for these anyway because they'll absorb any shocks from being bumped - or even dropped :eek:

I've dropped mine ( :o ) on kitchen lino and it was fine, so there's a good test that it's passed with flying colours :D

I think Tesco deffo had children in mind when they decided to go with the hudl as it has really curved corners etc. It's lovely to hold and I just know they will love theirs as much as I love mine :)

Literally TONS of stuff for kids in the Play Store and so much of it is free.

I'm getting quite excited about them getting theirs now PMSL :D

Please come back after Christmas and tell us all about how they went down ;)

Happy Shopping! x

PS - re the memory, you can buy micro SD cards from eBay for dirt cheap if your kids want to DL films/tv shows etc but there's 16GB of on board storage (as standard) anyway so this might not even be necessary.

As for the picture quality? Well I disagree, vehemently, with anyone who says the hudl's isn't fabulous because it is! I've no idea what they could be comparing it to, for it's size and price?

I haven't actually used the camera but I will take some photos and give you my honest opinion about how it performs ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the picture quality? Well I disagree, vehemently, with anyone who says the hudl's isn't fabulous because it is! I've no idea what they could be comparing it to, for it's size and price?

I thought the OP was referring to camera picture quality, not the screen quality.

Hudl screen is very good. Hudl camera is only 3.2mp and is the main thing that drags it down in reviews:
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/tesco-hudl-1183138/review/6#articleContent
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh you're welcome WT :)

Raving about the hudl's merits has become my new hobby :D

If you can't get the coloured ones, don't worry because there are gel cases for them in bright funky colours. TBH, with kids as young as yours I'd opt for these anyway because they'll absorb any shocks from being bumped - or even dropped :eek:

I've dropped mine ( :o ) on kitchen lino and it was fine, so there's a good test that it's passed with flying colours :D

I think Tesco deffo had children in mind when they decided to go with the hudl as it has really curved corners etc. It's lovely to hold and I just know they will love theirs as much as I love mine :)

Literally TONS of stuff for kids in the Play Store and so much of it is free.

I'm getting quite excited about them getting theirs now PMSL :D

Please come back after Christmas and tell us all about how they went down ;)

Happy Shopping! x

PS - re the memory, you can buy micro SD cards from eBay for dirt cheap if your kids want to DL films/tv shows etc but there's 16GB of on board storage (as standard) anyway so this might not even be necessary.

I haven't actually used the camera but I will take some photos and give you my honest opinion about how it performs ;)

Lol I'll certainly be back to tell you what I think. Thanks for all your help - you've even convinced Mr T so we're ordering now!! Can't get the purple and blue I was after so I'm going for the black and red. They'll be happy enough with those especially as they can get covers.

One more question: earphones. I see they do Hudl earphones. Are these necessary or will any earphones work?? Daughter really wants earphones and since she listens to 1 bloody D incessantly I'm completely with her on that. Trouble is they are out of stock. Surely regular earphones will do rightly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol I'll certainly be back to tell you what I think.
    YAY! :D
    Thanks for all your help - you've even convinced Mr T so we're ordering now!!
    YW - happy to help in my small way :)
    Can't get the purple and blue I was after so I'm going for the black and red. They'll be happy enough with those especially as they can get covers.
    Even without the covers the build quality is fab. Wait till you see/feel the back cover ;)

So tactile and beautifully designed - the plug too! :D
    One more question: earphones. I see they do Hudl earphones. Are these necessary or will any earphones work?? Daughter really wants earphones and since she listens to 1 bloody D incessantly I'm completely with her on that. Trouble is they are out of stock. Surely regular earphones will do rightly?
    Bless her :D

ANY old headphones will do. The standard earphone jack is available and I can testify that even crappy Poundland ones work fine :o:D

Tons of kids headphones available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.Xkids+headphones&_nkw=kids+headphones&_sacat=0&_from=R40

:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YAY! :D

YW - happy to help in my small way :)

Even without the covers the build quality is fab. Wait till you see/feel the back cover ;)

So tactile and beautifully designed - the plug too! :D

Bless her :D

ANY old headphones will do. The standard earphone jack is available and I can testify that even crappy Poundland ones work fine :o:D

Tons of kids headphones available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.Xkids+headphones&_nkw=kids+headphones&_sacat=0&_from=R40

:cool:

You're a star! All ordered and on it's way! I even discovered, when I ordered a Despicable Me 2 DVD, I would get it free on Blinkbox too, so they've already got one of their favourite movies on the Hudl for free! They will love it!

Thanks everybody, for all your input. I'd still be dithering over reviews without you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're a star! All ordered and on it's way! I even discovered, when I ordered a Despicable Me 2 DVD, I would get it free on Blinkbox too, so they've already got one of their favourite movies on the Hudl for free! They will love it!
    OMG yes! I totally forgot to tell you about Blinkbox :D

Hours of fun on there for them and there's a great Netflix app in the Play Store too if you're a member. You can make a profile especially for them with their movies/TV shows on it :)

[/Quote]Thanks everybody, for all your input. I'd still be dithering over reviews without you![/QUOTE]No worries. It's great that we've all had ours for several weeks now so can give you really honest evaluations of the device.

Hand on heart, for me?

No issues whatsoever :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Flixster lets you watch any non-Tesco DVDs you have that come with Ultraviolet.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,327
    Forum Member
    My husband has a Kindle HD Fire and it has a camera on it (if I'm not mistaken) but it's not great and he never uses it.

It does have a camera, but it's rear facing, so ideal for Skype, but useless as a camera.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    It does have a camera, but it's rear facing, so ideal for Skype, but useless as a camera.

More likely front facing :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The 2012 Kindle Fire HD has a front facing camera, the 2013 model (3rd gen) doesn't. You have to go up to the HDX models for cameras, as mentioned in post #15.