Can anyone tell me the benefits of a kindle?

LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I love reading especially in bed, and usually end up being shot awake by the book falling off the bed and hitting the floor. Will a kindle survive?

Comments

• scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They save a lot of space mainly for me.
  • LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They save a lot of space mainly for me.

How big are the books you read in bed? :D
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    How big are the books you read in bed? :D

Not individually, all together :p
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can get many different cases for the kindle, it should survive a small fall but you really shouldn't let it drop if possible.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cover will likely not protect it enough.

Kindle are like little fluffy reading kittens.
  • metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put a pillow on the floor next to your bed.
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I love reading especially in bed, and usually end up being shot awake by the book falling off the bed and hitting the floor. Will a kindle survive?

Compared to what?

It can store lots of books on it, so its great to take on holiday or to just reduce the clutter in your house.

It's lighter and its battery lasts longer than a Tablet.

You can change the font size, so its great when you have forgotten your reading glasses.

In a good case its quite rugged. My wife is always falling asleep holding her kindle and it survives falling off the bed.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about putting it down when you start to feel sleepy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use protection in bed :p It may not survive a fall. But it turns off itself after ~10 minutes of inactivity, so you do not have to care about that.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Use protection in bed :p It may not survive a fall. But it turns off itself after ~10 minutes of inactivity, so you do not have to care about that.

Not the only thing that does that in the bedroom :D:D:D
  • GlennGlenn Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Not the only thing that does that in the bedroom :D:D:D

Boom Boom! :D
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has a built in dictionary.:)
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another pointless accessory for those with too much money.....Why not just join your local library?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Yet another pointless accessory for those with too much money.....Why not just join your local library?

It's actually quite cheap. And beats dragging a luggage full of books with me any time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it pointless though - not for people who live a long way from the library.

Thanks for all the other helpful replies.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member

They're quite light and robust, so,unless you're on the top bunk and the floor is bare concrete, it should survive. (As long as your cellmate doesn't nick it.)

I love reading late at night, and recently finished one volume of a series,and was itching to start the next. I was able to download and start reading within 3 minutes. Which was nice.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member

I've read a lot of people having problems with cracked screens, they've often cracked after a very short fall and landing on say a carpet, not a hard floor. I read posts on the discussion section of the Amazon website some months ago.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It's actually quite cheap. And beats dragging a luggage full of books with me any time.

Yes especially when going on holiday. Plus I got mine as a Christmas present year before last so didn't cost me anything and that's sometimes the point of a present getting something that you wouldn't maybe spend money on yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagsbunny wrote: »
    They're quite light and robust, so,unless you're on the top bunk and the floor is bare concrete, it should survive. (As long as your cellmate doesn't nick it.)

I love reading late at night, and recently finished one volume of a series,and was itching to start the next. I was able to download and start reading within 3 minutes. Which was nice.

S'ok my cell mate is a murder not a thief :eek:

Nice to know that the downloads are quick - that is a definite plus. Are there plenty of books to choose from?
  • John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member

Why criticise people for liking and finding something convenient that you don't? :rolleyes:
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my point of view:

Pros:
    - Quite cheap
    - Can buy books instantly (and if you get the 3G option, you don't need wifi or even to be in this country)
    - Can make the text pretty big for those with poor eyesight.
    - It weighs about the same as a regular paperback, so a lot lighter than big hardbacks
    - Carry your entire book collection with you
    - There are some good deals to be had on certain books if you bide your time. There are search machines out there for hunting down cheap/free books.
    - Long battery life
    - The paperwhite has a light so can be read at night

Cons:
    - However long the battery lasts, it won't last as long as a paper book.
    - To be avoided in the bath
    - eBooks are often only minimally cheaper than their paper equivalent.
    - not all books are available for the kindle
    - one of the major ebook formats is not supported (is it epub?)
    - You don't really own your books, so you cannot lend them to your mates. They are permanently linked to your amazon account; what would happen to them on your demise is unclear. Maybe think not of buying a kindle book, but borrowing it for life. Many people are fine with this, some people dislike it on principle, and some want to build a nice collection at home and so would never contemplate ebooks.

Well that's my 2p's worth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    S'ok my cell mate is a murder not a thief :eek:

Nice to know that the downloads are quick - that is a definite plus. Are there plenty of books to choose from?

About 1.5 million, I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I still buy paper books, usually hardbacks, but I read quite a lot and I do not want paperbacks pushing me out of my flat :D
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't use a Kindle in a Detox box (so I'm told), you can read a book in there though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    From my point of view:

Pros:
    - Quite cheap
    - Can buy books instantly (and if you get the 3G option, you don't need wifi or even to be in this country)
    - Can make the text pretty big for those with poor eyesight.
    - It weighs about the same as a regular paperback, so a lot lighter than big hardbacks
    - Carry your entire book collection with you
    - There are some good deals to be had on certain books if you bide your time. There are search machines out there for hunting down cheap/free books.
    - Long battery life
    - The paperwhite has a light so can be read at night

Cons:
    - However long the battery lasts, it won't last as long as a paper book.
    - To be avoided in the bath
    - eBooks are often only minimally cheaper than their paper equivalent.
    - not all books are available for the kindle
    - one of the major ebook formats is not supported (is it epub?)
    - You don't really own your books, so you cannot lend them to your mates. They are permanently linked to your amazon account; what would happen to them on your demise is unclear. Maybe think not of buying a kindle book, but borrowing it for life. Many people are fine with this, some people dislike it on principle, and some want to build a nice collection at home and so would never contemplate ebooks.

Well that's my 2p's worth.

Ty - that pretty much covers afew of my questions. I bloody love reading in the bath :(