X Factor USA - Britney & Demi: thoughts?

AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With The X Factor USA drawing to a close, I thought a good thread to have would be discussing the two newest additions to the show: Britney Spears and Demi Lovato.

What are your thoughts on the two?

Britney Spears - I'm not sure Britney has worked as a judge. Her comments are very to the point and overall pretty similar. As a huge Britney fan, it has been nice to see more of her but sometimes it would be nice to see her elaborate more.

Her facial expressions are priceless and definitely one of the highlights for me. I also think where she lacks as a judge, she makes up for as a mentor. It's as clear as day as to how much she cared for each of her acts.

Demi Lovato - I'll have to admit that I didn't know much about Demi before The X Factor, but I really like her!

Demi's comments are really thought provoking. She can sometimes go on a bit and sometimes her comments aren't on point, but it's nice to see how much she cares and gives a thought provoking answer to every performance. I think Demi is the complete opposite to Britney: a good judge (I love her banter with Simon) but not a very strong mentor. I didn't really like the direction she took with Jennel Garcia or CeCe Frey.

What are your thoughts?

[news]'X Factor' USA: A look back at Britney and Demi's first season
'X Factor' USA: Five things we liked most about season two[/news]

Comments

• Kuda_KunakaKuda_Kunaka Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    britney, good mentor bad judge

demi, bad mentor slightly better judge.

I definately think Demi needs replaced.preferably by Kelly Rowland.
    Britney should stay cause they cant waste all the money they paid her for 2 seasons.. She just need to learn more about how to articulate her criticism.

With LA leaving, and me wanting Demi replaced.. I think Kelly Rowland and Justin Timberlakr would be a good addition to the panel. I think they have got the X F
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Britney: Great mentor*, super bad judge, never gives anything constructive and is SO generic with her comments. I love the faces she pulls though.

Demi: Not a very good mentor** but her comments are usually spot on, she doesn't hold anything back and still seems like a lovely girl.

*i expect Britney is getting A LOT of help thought but that might just be the cynic or realist in me

**i feel like she was getting better throughout the show mentoring but it was too late really

I feel like I want the panel to stay the same next year as it is this year but now LA confirmed he's leaving, if I was Simon I would ditch Britney (but I don't think he will) and replace L.A with someone like Robin Antin (Pussycat Dolls creator) and replace Britney with someone like Enrique Iglesias.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    britney, good mentor bad judge

demi, bad mentor slightly better judge.

I definately think Demi needs replaced.preferably by Kelly Rowland.
    Britney should stay cause they cant waste all the money they paid her for 2 seasons.. She just need to learn more about how to articulate her criticism.

With LA leaving, and me wanting Demi replaced.. I think Kelly Rowland and Justin Timberlakr would be a good addition to the panel. I think they have got the X F

I cant stand Kelly Rowland, she was awful on UK XF and I was overjoyed she didnt come back

Somehow Im not sure they'd introduce Justin Timberlake to the panel with Britney there
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's fair to compare Britney and Demi as mentors, as I doubt either of them have much of a say in song choices, staging etc. The acts who have left the show have more or less said this is the case with the producers calling the shots.

Britney's main problem as a judge is that her comments are too short, so that when she is trying to be critical it comes across as too abrupt. And when she's being nice it's limited to telling an act they were amazing or they "rocked it".

I think Demi has been a good addition to the panel. She gives the contestants pretty decent advice and I like how she has banter with Simon without trying to suck up to him. Also, you can tell from her reaction to Cece and Jennel leaving that she does care about her acts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney - I'm a huge fan but I'm not sure if the X Factor is really for her. She seems to be a decent mentor and while her judging comments are short and to the point I don't think she's half as bad as everyone says. I just don't think she's suited to judge others, it's not in her personality.

Demi - I love her banter with Simon and she provides some much needed excitement to the panel. Her mentoring has been pretty bad if I'm honest though. She had amazing acts in Jennel, Paige and Cece and she pretty much ruined them. Your highest act finishing in sixth place isn't good at all.

I think Demi should be back next year as L.A. is leaving and changing the judges around too much gets confusing. Hopefully she'll learn from this year and correct her weaknesses. Britney doesn't need the show and with an album coming out next year she should focus on that.
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    Britney Awful Judge and Mentor
    Demi Good Judge but Bad Mentor
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Britney - A genius signing on paper. A disaster in reality. She seems nice enough, albeit vacant. She's just going through the motions, giving almost monosyllabic feedback to every contestant. She does appear to be a good mentor though, and her facial expressions are certainly something. I don't think I'd miss (or notice really) if she wasn't to return.

Demi - Very likeable and vivacious. Easily the best judge and personality on the panel. I didn't like some of her/the producers song choices... What is Love, Eye of the Tiger, Never Gonna Give You Up - I mean really? She may have underperformed as a mentor, but definitely delivered in other aspects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    drakhen wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to compare Britney and Demi as mentors, as I doubt either of them have much of a say in song choices, staging etc. The acts who have left the show have more or less said this is the case with the producers calling the shots..

This ^^^

All the Britney is a great mentor talk is rather odd as it appears from former contestants comments that its the producers who pick the songs and vocal coaches/choreographers who work with them all day.

Its a great smokescreen when you consider that she probably only 'mentors' her acts for the 5 min scripted, filmed sequences they stick in vt's.

She got easily the best category too.
  • cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea what either are like as a mentor? as said above, the songs are selected by the producers and it would appear the judges have very little input If any!

So I shall discuss them as judges as at least they've proven to be this (whether good or bad).

Demi - Her comments were good and she's not been afraid to go against the flow. However since all her acts have gone I've found her judging comments annoying. How can she literally dislike an act one week & now suddenly think they're fabulous.... Unless her comments were partially or fully scripted?

Britney -Facial expression when Fifth Harmony went through to final was priceless! But as a judge she's horrendous. Totally scripted comment very badly delivered.

PLEASE NO to Kelly Rowland! ID prefer Sharon Osborne to her and I hate Osborne.
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    I think it's very difficult to comment on them as mentors at all, because you really don't know how much the judges actually contribute and how much is all producers. The teens have been 'mentored' very well and given great song choices, whereas the young adults really hadn't, but whether that's down to Britney and Demi, it's hard to say.

In terms of judging Britney is awful. Fantastic facial expressions :D but an awful judge who just seems to comment one line of whatever random thought comes into her mind and that's it. She's like a robot. Demi's a very good judge though. She's able to express herself quite well and she doesn't hold back for anyone which is what she needs. Her interaction with Simon can border on cringeworthy at times, it does add something to the panel though. (Also I do have some bias towards her because imo she's one of the most talented judges they've had on X Factor... Love her voice <3)

Bottom line for me would be keep Demi, and replace Britney for the next season (Though they'll probably end up doing it the other way around...)
  • Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think both of them are pretty equal in the mentoring department, the only difference is Simon and LA tend to gloss over the awful decisions made by Britney yet they were overly critical with acts like CeCe and Jennel.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,502
    Forum Member
    From what i've seen; Britney is awful, however her looks when some of the acts are called safe are hilarious :D

Demi, again from what i've seen is great - didn't really think she would work, however she brings life to the panel. Some of her song choices are weird, but lets be honest we all know its producers decisions anyway
  • ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney is dead behind the eyes. A monumental waste of money who only gives one throw away comment that someone in her earpiece has told her to say. How is she a good mentor? The producers pick songs etc i bet britney hasnt had a conversation with any her acts throughout the whole series. I doubt she is capable of having a conversation with someone. Weirdo.

I didnt even know who demi was before the show but she is bright and lively, knows what she is saying and at least has her own opinion and has over shadowed britney completely. If simon has any sense he will give britney the boot and offer demi more money to keep her on the panel.
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demi: She's ok. I tend to find most of her comments rambling and unconstructive, though. I still don't know what she brought to the panel; the kiddy market doesn't seem valuable to the US networks, and it doesn't make 100% sense to have someone just out of her teens mentor young adults.

Britney: I love her, but I think she is suffering from raised expectations from the audience. The audience, based on the comments pre-auditions, wanted a trainwreck on Live TV, but they haven't got that. Britney has always been praised as Professional throughout her career, and that is how I have seen her on the show. She showed plenty of personality in the auditions, and even in the Live Shows, she just isn't making herself the centre of attention because the contestants are. I said in another similar thread, what are people expecting from her? For her to randomly shave her head, dance with a snake, kiss Demi, or beat Simon with an Umbrella? The auditions peaked the viewers who were curious, and then they faded because Britney was capable. She doesn't suffer fools and that has been reflected in her comments. They're on point, contructive (mostly), and delivered simply. I feel she is a good judge; she could ramble on and on and say nothing (like Demi, at times) but she doesn't.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,502
    Forum Member
    ScouseBird wrote: »
    If simon has any sense he will give britney the boot and offer demi more money to keep her on the panel.

Which wont happen - he'll keep puppet Britney and axe the judge who was good.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but britney slain them all with one reaction shot in last week's results show.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Love Demi I think she's a great judge however the mentoring has been awful. Jennel could have won the show had Demi not tried to turn Jennel into a mini version of her. :(

Britney makes everything she says sound so stupid "And I just love the fact your inspiring girl power...it's really interesting".
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britney - Shows literally no emotion or connection with the acts or show, like she doesn't really wanna be there. Needs to seriously expand her vocabulary and start to give the contestants construvtive criticism. Pretty good mentor though, she seems to know which direction to take her acts in.

Demi - Great judge but awful mentor. She ruined her acts to an extent (although built back credibilty for herself in time with a few changes she made), but overall she didn't know what to do with them it seemed, or let them be themselves fully. Usually gives some very good comments though and says it how it is, often what we're all thinking aswell.
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Demi is the worst mentor ever on US or UK X Factor and her 'banter' with Simon is rather cringe worthy. (I'm only a 19 year old girl). She did well in the auditions but in the live shows she is easily intimidated by the others and occasionally comes out with unsubstantiated criticism.

Britney obviously doesn't say more than she wants but I think she's OK and might grow more comfortable in her second season (Like Gary Barlow). Also a good mentor.

I don't think the Kelly Rowland suggestion is ridiculous but I'd go for someone like Kelly Clarkson who is great fun and sensible- she would know what she's talking about. Even someone like Pink would be good. I think Simon tries to get big names too often and thinks about them as judges second.

In terms of replacing LA- I would go with someone respected in the music industry- who's willing to challenge Simon as LA did that fantastically. It also adds a little more authority to the show and industry men are more likely to be better mentors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    Love Demi I think she's a great judge however the mentoring has been awful. Jennel could have won the show had Demi not tried to turn Jennel into a mini version of her. :(

Britney makes everything she says sound so stupid "And I just love the fact your inspiring girl power...it's really interesting".

Demi didnt turn Jennel into anything she didnt already want to be, its funny she got eliminated the same week that she went back to brown hair, and then a week after getting eliminated again she went for the black hair :D

Same with Paige, she got eliminated the week she put her put down to do an uptempo even when Demi advised against her, it shows she has an idea of what she's talking about.
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Starzz123 wrote: »

Same with Paige, she got eliminated the week she put her put down to do an uptempo even when Demi advised against her, it shows she has an idea of what she's talking about.

I'm sorry but I disagree.
    That was Paige's best performance easily when she didn't listen to Demi.
    I think she didn't get the votes because she was coming down from a sympathy bounce, the judges raved about her and people would have thought she was safe and Paige came across a bit like a diva (and not the mum we're used to) by (rightly!) ignoring Demi's advice.

Good performance don't always equal votes (Chris Maloney!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qwerty21 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I disagree.
    That was Paige's best performance easily when she didn't listen to Demi.
    I think she didn't get the votes because she was coming down from a sympathy bounce, the judges raved about her and people would have thought she was safe and Paige came across a bit like a diva (and not the mum we're used to) by (rightly!) ignoring Demi's advice.

Good performance don't always equal votes (Chris Maloney!)

But looking at all her past performances it was obvious the ballads got her higher on the rankings and Demi saw that, whilst her vocals on the song were good (I didn't rate that "dancing" at all) and it was one of her better performances it was definitley a risk considering her position on the leaderboard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we all know why Britney has failed.

Damn, I would like to see a showdown between Adele and Simon at the panel. This will never happen but can you imagine when Adele would say to the candidates "Now I want you to bring out the best" They were scared as hell.:D
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demi: She's ok. I tend to find most of her comments rambling and unconstructive, though. I still don't know what she brought to the panel; the kiddy market doesn't seem valuable to the US networks, and it doesn't make 100% sense to have someone just out of her teens mentor young adults.

Britney: I love her, but I think she is suffering from raised expectations from the audience. The audience, based on the comments pre-auditions, wanted a trainwreck on Live TV, but they haven't got that. Britney has always been praised as Professional throughout her career, and that is how I have seen her on the show. She showed plenty of personality in the auditions, and even in the Live Shows, she just isn't making herself the centre of attention because the contestants are. I said in another similar thread, what are people expecting from her? For her to randomly shave her head, dance with a snake, kiss Demi, or beat Simon with an Umbrella? The auditions peaked the viewers who were curious, and then they faded because Britney was capable. She doesn't suffer fools and that has been reflected in her comments. They're on point, contructive (mostly), and delivered simply. I feel she is a good judge; she could ramble on and on and say nothing (like Demi, at times) but she doesn't.

On the point, but constructive? I don't think so. No-one is saying she should ramble on and on, but if she finds a performance was not particularly good, like Demi, she could at least elaborate briefly on how a contestant could improve for next time, by saying something like: "I would have like to have seen/or it could have been more... xyz", rather than just saying "I was bored" or "it wasn't great", which is pretty much how she gives feedback most of the time. Not constructive at all.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Message Deleted.