bleeding while going to the toilet

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
Forum Member
Ok so for the last 3-4 weeks sometimes about twice a week I go to the toilet and pass a stool theres blood afterwards, the blood varies from being a little to actually being quite alot, but I havent had any pain whatsoever apart from this afternoon when my lower stomach started hurting.

I finally booked an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, but ive just watched embarrassing bodies on 4OD, and they actually touched on this subject in the programme and said that fresh blood after going to the toilet usually isn't anything to be concerned after as it is normally just a cut inside or sometimes hemroids.

So now im kind of thinking I shouldnt go to the doctors because its going to be really embarrassing and its not going to be anything serious and will just go away by itself.

Should i go the the doctors still or save myself the embarasment. :cry:

Comments

• fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    go to the doctors
  • derbyshire duckderbyshire duck Posts: 14,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go to the doctors they have Seen it all before
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go. I have never had blood come out with my stools. A cut in your rectum wall usually takes a few days to heal, not weeks.

I live by the rule, "If there is blood where it normally isn't get it checked out" :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely - go to the doctors. It may turn out to be nothing important, but you should play on the safe side and get it checked out.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should still go to the doctors as if it is piles then they can prescribe you treatment.

It sounds as if you are constipated and straining too hard if you are getting pain. Up your fibre intake.
  • KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Go to the doctors ASAP, the same thing happened to me last year (turned out to be colitis), if piles are ruled out then your GP will probably refer you to the hospital for a colonoscopy to get the the route of the problem. There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about, they have seen it all before, good luck.
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    It's probably piles or a fissure BUT you need the doctor to tell you that.

Get proper reassurance from the expert.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i HAD SOMTHING SIMILAR, BUT IT'S REALLY NOT AS BAD AS YOU THINK IT WOULD BE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I'd DEFINITELY go and see your GP. It's probably nothing serious, but you should go now while any potentially serious problems get harder to treat. You might get referred to a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy, which would hopefully find the cause of the problem.

Good luck.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably haemorrhoids, but I'd get in checked out urgently.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    honestly GPs arent fazed in the slightest go and get it soreted OP Good luck!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I agree with all, go see the doctore. i have very recently been to see the docs regarding the same thing. I was very embarrased but it had to be done. turns out i have good old piles. and i have a new friend whos a bit uncomfortable, suposertrie!

TMI i know!

lol
  • JaxxfanJaxxfan Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely go to the doctors ASAP. I had the same problem as you and I put it off for ages before my husband frogmarched me down to the surgery. I had a colonoscopy 3 weeks later and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. It had travelled quite a way up my colon so I made things much worse for myself by putting it off.

Good luck OP - let us know how you get on :)
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd add here - since a few of us have mentioned colonoscopies - that they're not as bad as some of the stuff you can read on the net! Yeah they're a bit uncomfortable but you are sedated and it's over pretty quickly. The prep the day before is probably the worst part!
  • KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    sarahlil wrote: »
    Just thought I'd add here - since a few of us have mentioned colonoscopies - that they're not as bad as some of the stuff you can read on the net! Yeah they're a bit uncomfortable but you are sedated and it's over pretty quickly. The prep the day before is probably the worst part!

Or the uncontrollable wind you get afterwards :o
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As everyone else has said....get to the docs.....do not delay.....he'll give you all the answers you need.....I stress though...do not delay.:cool:
  • MetermaidMetermaid Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok so for the last 3-4 weeks sometimes about twice a week I go to the toilet and pass a stool theres blood afterwards, the blood varies from being a little to actually being quite alot, but I havent had any pain whatsoever apart from this afternoon when my lower stomach started hurting.

I finally booked an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, but ive just watched embarrassing bodies on 4OD, and they actually touched on this subject in the programme and said that fresh blood after going to the toilet usually isn't anything to be concerned after as it is normally just a cut inside or sometimes hemroids.

So now im kind of thinking I shouldnt go to the doctors because its going to be really embarrassing and its not going to be anything serious and will just go away by itself.

Believe me YOU MUST go to the doctor. The bleeding is a symptom of something else and must be checked out. Ive been through the same problems and Im very glad I went to the Dr when I did. Dont leave it any longer
  • MetermaidMetermaid Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KaliMist wrote: »
    Or the uncontrollable wind you get afterwards :o

We should have a support group!! What did you have to clear your system out beforehand ? Picolax or Kleen Prep? Ive had both and love the taste !!;)
    Forum Member
    I had Picolax... two sachets of the stuff, one at 6pm the night before, then again at 6am on the day and also two tablets that I can't remember the name of now. I hated the stuff at first but then kind of got used to it and almost enjoyed it.. until about 20 minutes after finishing the glass!!

This article amused me greatly whilst waiting for my colonoscopy, might be worth sharing here.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes it's embarassing and uncomfortable, but it's easier than you think. You just explain the problem, then lay on your side for 60 seconds tops while the doctor has a look and perhaps a quick examination of the area, and that's it.

Simple. 60 seconds of embarassment is much easier than finding out in the future you have bowl cancer and could have done something about it sooner. Blood can mean anything from a cut, to piles, to cancer.

So get it checked. Don't be shy. Doctors check this all the time.
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metermaid wrote: »
    We should have a support group!! What did you have to clear your system out beforehand ? Picolax or Kleen Prep? Ive had both and love the taste !!;)

I had Kleen Prep too my word I missed an entire evening's TV :o

After my colonoscopy I lay in bed farting like an old horse while I waited on my tea and toast :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metermaid wrote: »

I've done the Picolax 3 times. I don't know why but in the Scottish Borders you have to fast for 3 days:confused:.

The camera inspections are not painful, just uncomfortable.

I thought the worst bit was the Barium enema before the xray and you have to "hold" it in for about 5 minutes afterwards. Thank god the toilet was only a few metres away:D:D:D