Richard Dawkins the arch-atheist backs Michael Gove's free Bible plan

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah yeah, you have no sense of humour and get your jollies from threatening everyone with eternal pain, we get it. But it's getting kind of old now, don't you think?

Who have I threatened?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    For the people who end up in the lake of fire the impact of global warming will be the last thing on their minds.

That would be purgatory that you're talking about there. The place where people supposedly go to be purified of their sins before they get to Heaven. I see Hell as just a spiritual place that's like an absolute dump and where life is not very pleasant.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who have I threatened?

Pretty much everyone in the thread. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Dawkins as someone who cannot accept that quite a few people have faith. He's basically obsessed with this.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Richard Dawkins and I share his frustration at the absurdity of religion. Still, each to their own. I live by my own morals and I do not bow to the will of others.
  • morbidangel101morbidangel101 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Who have I threatened?

****ing everyone, or at least everyone who even slightly disagrees with you. And don't start with that "God is the sadistic bastard who's threatening everyone, I'm just passing on the mesage" bullshit. You want to see everyone who disagrees with you burn, if you didn't you wouldn't get so much pleasure in telling everyone about how much pain they're goingto be in all the time.

Personally I think that sick ****s like you should be locked up, but that's just me.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I see Dawkins as someone who cannot accept that quite a few people have faith. He's basically obsessed with this.

And equally there are plenty who do have faith who cannot accept that a lot of people do not have faith.

But I usually find those who are without faith are far more tolerant of those that do have faith than the other way round.
  • peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ****ing everyone, or at least everyone who even slightly disagrees with you. And don't start with that "God is the sadistic bastard who's threatening everyone, I'm just passing on the mesage" bullshit. You want to see everyone who disagrees with you burn, if you didn't you wouldn't get so much pleasure in telling everyone about how much pain they're goingto be in all the time.

Personally I think that sick ****s like you should be locked up, but that's just me.

really burn, in like, a real fire? or just some abstract concept based on what some people believe will happen after death? you're getting angry at something you probably don't even believe in. why is that affecting you so much? ignore it, it's irrelevant to you remember?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And equally there are plenty who do have faith who cannot accept that a lot of people do not have faith.

Yes, there are some on both sides that can be very intolerant.
    Forum Member
    peon wrote: »
    really burn, in like, a real fire? or just some abstract concept based on what some people believe will happen after death? you're getting angry at something you probably don't even believe in. why is that affecting you so much? ignore it, it's irrelevant to you remember?

If someone tells me, and just about everyone else, that they deserve to be put through the worst torture imaginable because I disagree with them about a few things then I think I have the right to get a bit pissed.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems utterly pointless to me. My daughter is (nearly) 6 and goes to a Catholic school, they have plenty of bibles, and doubt that they need one more. Most places that want one have one already.

Also, the KJB is under Crown Copyright, so nice little earner...
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    That would be purgatory that you're talking about there. The place where people supposedly go to be purified of their sins before they get to Heaven. I see Hell as just a spiritual place that's like an absolute dump and where life is not very pleasant.

You mean a bit like Dunstable then?
  • Nard DogNard Dog Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faith is just another word for lack of thought, ignorance and belligerence

Its not a good look
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone tells me, and just about everyone else, that they deserve to be put through the worst torture imaginable because I disagree with them about a few things then I think I have the right to get a bit pissed.

it's an abstract concept, only relevant within the confines of the belief structure the people quoting it to you believe in. if I really was of the Jedi religion, and i said you deserved to have your limbs lightsabred off and your putrid remains fed to the all-powerful sarlacc, to spend 1000 years of pain and suffering in his belly, you're hardly likely to be upset are you? unless you believed that too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    You mean a bit like Dunstable then?

Like this but without the buildings.

http://colleenanderson.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/apocalypse-signs.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I'm guessing if there is a God then some people are going to get a bit of a surprise when its time for them there hellfires ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nard Dog wrote: »
    Faith is just another word for lack of thought, ignorance and belligerence

Its not a good look

and yet some people manage to be all of the above without faith.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's an abstract concept, only relevant within the confines of the belief structure the people quoting it to you believe in. if I really was of the Jedi religion, and i said you deserved to have your limbs lightsabred off and your putrid remains fed to the all-powerful sarlacc, to spend 1000 years of pain and suffering in his belly, you're hardly likely to be upset are you? unless you believed that too.
    I don't believe black people are inferior to white people or women to men but that doesn't make the concept any the less offensive.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Previoulsy the proffessor has spoken at length about what the King James version of the bible and its contibution to the UK and the world.

In this clip Proffessor Dawkins speaks about why he was happy to accept an invitation to read a section of the KJV for an ongoing project.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJtCqjUUHG0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    I don't believe black people are inferior to white people or women to men but that doesn't make the concept any the less offensive.

^ that is not an abstract concept though. a "lake of fire" in reality does not exist, unless you believe in it. therefore the idea that somebody thinks you may end up in a lake of fire is like telling you witches will put a spell on you or something. it's beyond the realm of any meaningful effectiveness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ that is not an abstract concept though. a "lake of fire" in reality does not exist, unless you believe in it. therefore the idea that somebody thinks you may end up in a lake of fire is like telling you witches will put a spell on you or something. it's beyond the realm of any meaningful effectiveness.
    It's still an objectionable concept so people are entitled to find it objectionable. You don't have to believe in the literal truth of an idea to find it objectionable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    It's still an objectionable concept so people are entitled to find it objectionable. You don't have to believe in the literal truth of an idea to find it objectionable.

what a contradiction. you don't have to believe in the lake of fire to find it objectionable that somebody suggests you may end up in it? can't you see how ridiculous that is?
    Forum Member

It's not the actual lake of fire or whatever, it's the idea behind it. That I apparently deserve it, whether or not it's actually going to happen or could possibly happen, is insulting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a contradiction. you don't have to believe in the lake of fire to find it objectionable that somebody suggests you may end up in it? can't you see how ridiculous that is?
    It's not a contradiction in the slightest. Of course, some ideas are objectionable although I can understand why people who spout such nonsense would want to try and minimise the offensiveness by claiming so. It's ridiculous (IMO) to claim that ideas can only be objected to if you actually believe in them.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    It must kill Dawkins that the best schools are faith schools, that they get the best exams results and are massively oversubscribed.