The Walking Dead S3 (US Pace)

Comments

• JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed whenever a new black character turns up, the other one dies not long after.

There was Morgan, wasn't there? From the first series.

He was still alive the last time we saw him.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    There was Morgan, wasn't there? From the first series.

He was still alive the last time we saw him.

But he isn't a regular character on the show. He's been in 2 episodes or something. I'm talking more about the main cast, rather than guest characters.

Anyways, it was not my intention to turn this into a debate :o. Just making an observation in response to Ataraxia's post.
  • pon farrpon farr Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Another fantastic episode, really enjoying this season. Terrific ending, so much to look forward too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Lol exactly my thoughts. I've noticed whenever a new black character turns up, the other one dies not long after.
    T-Dog > Oscar > Tyreese. Hopefully Tyreese will last longer than Oscar :o.

I thought Oscar's death was a bit pointless too as he was a new character with promise, waiting to be developed. But I guess someone had to die as it would've been a bit unrealistic for Rick's crew to escape completely unscathed.

Don't know why thats spoilered.

Shame they've dispenced so many of the prisoners so quickly.

Oscars death was pointless i agree, They only needed to have him getting shot in the arm or one of the others getting shot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    Don't know why thats spoilered.

Shame they've dispenced so many of the prisoners so quickly.

Oscars death was pointless i agree, They only needed to have him getting shot in the arm or one of the others getting shot.

Since the issue is a bit... let's say "controversial", I thought it would be better to respond in spoiler tags ;).

Glad you agree. Yes, a few gunshot injuries to Rick's crew would have sufficed, though I can understand the writers' reasoning behind killing off a character in the Woodbury Shootout. But just think maybe they chose the wrong character as Oscar only just arrived on the show, it seemed a bit too soon to be just killing him off in such a way. But I suppose the writers saw him as an expendable character compared to the likes of Rick, Glenn, Maggie, Michonne and Daryl due to their importance to the story at hand.
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar only just arrived on the show, it seemed a bit too soon to be just killing him off

I think the producers just had to make space in the budget for that bloke from The Wire.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    I think the producers just had to make space in the budget for that bloke from The Wire.....

Yep, I agree. Like I said, Oscar was obviously more expendable than the other characters who are much more important to the story.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's physics. Law of Conservation of Black Guys.
  • IsisIsis Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Im starting to think The Walking Dead has a one black guy policy going on.

Well, if a TV Show has a policy which allows only one black guy at a time, surely that can only be racism?

I've seen this mentioned at a few other places (Den of Geek review for one) and it's ridiculous. Almost as daft as when that idiot N'Gai Croal kicked up a stink about the RE5 trailer :rolleyes:

Sometimes people put 2 and 2 together and get 5, looking for things which aren't there.

If someone complained that the show is prejudiced against Caucasians, as all the evil and psychotic characters have been white (the Governor/Shane/Merle/Tomas etc), they would be laughed at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phew, not my quote. As long as that's clear :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since the issue is a bit... let's say "controversial", I thought it would be better to respond in spoiler tags ;).

Glad you agree. Yes, a few gunshot injuries to Rick's crew would have sufficed, though I can understand the writers' reasoning behind killing off a character in the Woodbury Shootout. But just think maybe they chose the wrong character as Oscar only just arrived on the show, it seemed a bit too soon to be just killing him off in such a way. But I suppose the writers saw him as an expendable character compared to the likes of Rick, Glenn, Maggie, Michonne and Daryl due to their importance to the story at hand.

Exactly. Oscar was expendable. As soon as he volunteered to go with Rick etc I knew he was a gonna.

If its anything like the comics
    The one black guy policy will continue, Tyreese is excecuted by the governer then a few issues later Morgan comes back haha.

Tyreese was with Rick & co much before the prison though so...
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed Milton didn't join in with the shouting and gesticulating at the end so I wonder if he might switch sides and join the Ricktatorship.
  • funnibunnifunnibunni Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Fantastic episode. As long as Daryl sticks around til February it's all good. In the meantime Friday nights have lost their allure :cry:
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    It hadn't occurred to me that it was a set-up but that isn't out of the question. Merle will simply think Daryl is misguided without him around and expect him to slavishly follow him again, although the governor will be mightily p***** off with him for lying about Michonne.
    Merle also told the Governor that the Prison was uninhabitable, which turned out not to be true when Rick's group inhabited it. So that's twice he knows of that Merle has mislead him. I don't think it's a set-up. Having Michonne and Daryl return was about the worst case for Merle's credibility.
    I wonder what Andrea's reaction will be, now that she knows it's her group at the prison.
    I don't think she knows that. She's only seen Daryl and some black chap she didn't recognise. For all she knows, Daryl could have split from Rick's group at the same time she did, months ago before winter. He could have changed a lot since she knew him. Most of the show characters have.
    Andrea's deluded stupidity continued apace. She doesn't mind heads in fish tanks now. She isn't shocked that her boyfriend kept his zombie daughter in his house.
    That's not so different from Herschel keeping his relatives in his barn. She knows the Governor has been sponsoring research into whether walkers retain their memories. She was shocked, and doesn't agree, but she didn't have time to react because the Governor was seriously injured, Michonne was waving a sword at her, and they were under attack from outsiders.

I don't think she's stupid. She's just starting from a different position, with very limited information. Arguably Michonne is the unreasonable one. Earlier she stole her weapon and used it to destroy their stock of zombies, then she runs away, then she comes back with some other group and starts killing people, and finally she trashes the Governor's room and nearly kills him. All for no reason; as far as Andrea knows, the Governor has been nothing but good to them. To Andrea Michonne must seem like a psychopath.

Andrea is putting it together now, especially as she's seen Daryl. She knows Daryl and Michonne used to be cool, so she should suspect there's more going on than she realises.
    I prefer my mid-season finale's to end on a sense of jeopardy, but a town meeting? Ho-hum.
    There was jeopardy. Daryl and Merle could be dead in moments. More importantly for me, the characters are placed in a crucible where they must make some show-defining decisions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    That's not so different from Herschel keeping his relatives in his barn.

No it's not, but Andrea's reaction to the barn situation was markedly different. Why?
    She knows the Governor has been sponsoring research into whether walkers retain their memories.

She knows from her experience with Amy and what she learned at the CDC that such "experiments" are futile. Yet she silently acquiesced in the nonsense with Mr Coleman. Why?
    She was shocked, [B[and doesn't agree[/B], but she didn't have time to react because the Governor was seriously injured,

No evidence for this was shown. At the end of the episode her continued acceptance of the Governor's leadership was shown by her dutiful attendance at her man's town meeting. Why?
    Michonne was waving a sword at her, and they were under attack from outsiders.

Yet Andrea didn't bother to ask the woman who had saved her life and kept her safe, to explain any of her actions. Why?

I don't think she's stupid.

I don't think she's unintelligent. My answers to all the "whys" above are contained in previous posts. Although I will note here that Andrea couldn't bring herself to shoot Michonne, despite what she had just done to her latest squeeze. Guilt perhaps?

She's just starting from a different position, with very limited information. Arguably Michonne is the unreasonable one. Earlier she stole her weapon and used it to destroy their stock of zombies, then she runs away, then she comes back with some other group and starts killing people, and finally she trashes the Governor's room and nearly kills him. All for no reason; as far as Andrea knows, the Governor has been nothing but good to them. To Andrea Michonne must seem like a psychopath.

All of this is irrelevant to me. Andrea had no reason to doubt Michonne's instincts, which had kept them both safe for several months, in favour of a shag and the illusion of safety. From the moment she made the choice to abandon Michonne, she was morally compromised and has been deluding herself ever since.

Andrea is putting it together now, especially as she's seen Daryl. She knows Daryl and Michonne used to be cool, so she should suspect there's more going on than she realises.

Indeed, the sight of Daryl as a prisoner may finally penetrate her wilful delusion. But I'd now prefer see her dead, rather than come to her senses. Perhaps the Governor may see her as an adequate replacement for ex-Penny, whose cage is now available.

Incidentally, I recall your pro-Shane posts from last season. Andrea has terrible taste in men too LOL, so I'm not too shocked to see you defending her this season. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They didn't used to be cool as they've only just met
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    OMG OMG WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW........WOW:D

Just watched all 8 episodes over the past 2 nights my mind is blown LOL it sh!ted all over season 2 that's for sure

Episode 4 was the big OMG moment i couldt believe what was happening I had to check if I played episode 8 by mistake or something LOL I began too sweat I was that tense LOL

Really scary how everything was quiet and happy then BAM silently from nowhere zombies everywhere and it all goes to hell. One hell of an episode better than like most movies iv watched over the past 2 years TV is really taking over big screen movies now for me

The wood bury thing was something when it first poped up I thought oh no I don't think I like where this is going but when the governor started looking at all his trophie heads it got real creepy then I started digging it:D

Ricks phone calls were very strange and did't really fit in with the show plus the Shane thing was also weird where is this going??

Loving Lauren Cohan glad shes now one of the main females have always liked her since supernatural as Bella was sad when they got rid of her but shes brilliant in this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's not, but Andrea's reaction to the barn situation was markedly different. Why?
    Partly because she wasn't in a crisis. Partly because she saw the barn as a threat, where-as by the time she found out about the daughter, she'd already been destroyed and any threat was gone. And I don't recall her reaction being that different anyway. She thought the zombies should be destroyed, but she didn't reject Hershel for keeping them.
    She knows from her experience with Amy and what she learned at the CDC that such "experiments" are futile. Yet she silently acquiesced in the nonsense with Mr Coleman. Why?
    I don't think she does know that. She strongly suspects it, but Milton's experiment was different to what happened with Amy. He started "anchoring" while the subject was still alive, and then used cues afterwards.

What was she supposed to do? She wants to belong to this community, so she had to go along with it. She just tried to make sure it was done safely.
    No evidence for this was shown.
    I thought it was obvious by the way she questioned it.
    At the end of the episode her continued acceptance of the Governor's leadership was shown by her dutiful attendance at her man's town meeting. Why?
    That she accepted his leadership does not mean she agreed with him keeping his zombie daughter. My impression is that very little time passed between her finding out and the meeting, and most of that time she spent in crisis. Again, what do you expect her to do? Try to take over the village herself? Walk out in the middle of the night, when there are zombies and marauders around? Stay in the village but refuse to attend the meeting (in which case she wouldn't have seen Daryl)? Her reaction made a lot of sense to me.
    Yet Andrea didn't bother to ask the woman who had saved her life and kept her safe, to explain any of her actions. Why?
    She did. She asked her one question, which gave Michonne opportunity to explain herself, but Michonne didn't answer.

The bigger question for me is why Michonne was silent. If she's just said, "Merle followed and tried to kill me, and then abducted two people from your old group, who were being tortured here", then Andrea would have known what was going on. I don't think we can blame Andrea for Michonne's silence. Michonne's silence is pathological.
    Although I will note here that Andrea couldn't bring herself to shoot Michonne, despite what she had just done to her latest squeeze. Guilt perhaps?
    She has nothing to be guilty about. Michonne and Andrea made different choices about whether to stay in the village. Andrea is not Michonne's slave, or sworn to follow her to the ends of the earth. She didn't kill Michonne because why would she? They're friends, and she doesn't yet know why Michonne did what she did. Off-hand I don't recall Andrea shooting anyone who wasn't already a zombie, and especially not in cold blood.
    Andrea had no reason to doubt Michonne's instincts, which had kept them both safe for several months,
    All the evidence was that the village was the safe haven she'd been looking for. It was Michonne's paranoia that was unjustified.
    From the moment she made the choice to abandon Michonne, she was morally compromised and has been deluding herself ever since.
    She didn't abandon Michonne. Michonne abandoned her.
    Incidentally, I recall your pro-Shane posts from last season. Andrea has terrible taste in men too LOL, so I'm not too shocked to see you defending her this season. :D
    Quite so. I really liked Shane, up until the end, and I think it's a shame he didn't take Andrea and leave the group. I think they'd have been happy and successful together.
    Verence wrote: »
    They didn't used to be cool as they've only just met
    I mean that she knows they were cool individually, not that Michonne and Daryl were cool with each other. The point is, neither would go on a violent rampage against humans without reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she does know that. She strongly suspects it, but Milton's experiment was different to what happened with Amy. He started "anchoring" while the subject was still alive, and then used cues afterwards.

Everyone at the CDC saw the MRI video of higher brain functions terminating at death and only limited autonomic functions returning upon re-animation.
    What was she supposed to do? She wants to belong to this community, so she had to go along with it. She just tried to make sure it was done safely.

Indeed. Her desire is sustained only by moral compromise. Right and wrong matter less and less......
    The bigger question for me is why Michonne was silent. If she's just said, "Merle followed and tried to kill me, and then abducted two people from your old group, who were being tortured here", then Andrea would have known what was going on. I don't think we can blame Andrea for Michonne's silence. Michonne's silence is pathological.

Agreed. I hope Michonne explains herself to somebody soon. Until we know why she is the way she is, her character will remain a plot device for action and the development of other characters. My dislike of Andrea stems partly from her abandonment of Michonne.
    She has nothing to be guilty about. Michonne and Andrea made different choices about whether to stay in the village. Andrea is not Michonne's slave, or sworn to follow her to the ends of the earth.

If someone had done for me what Michonne had done for Andrea, I might consider myself morally indebted. I might even be inclined to trust that person's judgement, over the superficial appeal of a stranger.

She didn't kill Michonne because why would she?

Because Michonne was about to kill her lover, having already cost him an eye.
    Off-hand I don't recall Andrea shooting anyone who wasn't already a zombie, and especially not in cold blood.

She tried to kill the human intruders at Woodbury. But ofcourse she was shooting blind, Michonne was in her face.
    All the evidence was that the village was the safe haven she'd been looking for. It was Michonne's paranoia that was unjustified.

It was Michonne's instincts that were justified.
    She didn't abandon Michonne. Michonne abandoned her.

Tomayto, tomahto. Andrea chose to let Michonne go out of Woodbury alone, despite everything she had done for her.
    Quite so. I really liked Shane, up until the end, and I think it's a shame he didn't take Andrea and leave the group. I think they'd have been happy and successful together.

I think the self-serving, mendacious, psychopathic Shane would have gotten Andrea killed in no little time at all, that is, if he didn't do it himself. Or she would've soon dumped him for a better looking man, with a bigger.........gun.

Ultimately, I see Andrea as little better than Lori and I'm hoping against hope to see her dead head get samurai'd by Michonne ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean that she knows they were cool individually, not that Michonne and Daryl were cool with each other. The point is, neither would go on a violent rampage against humans without reason.

Fair enough :)
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the self-serving, mendacious, psychopathic Shane would have gotten Andrea killed in no little time at all, that is, if he didn't do it himself. Or she would've soon dumped him for a better looking man, with a bigger.........gun.
    Very true.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why are people saying Oscar was a regular cast membrer? Hes the only one credited on the end credits which usually means "extra"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Walking Dead is definitely one of my favourite shows on TV right now. I love how they do the make up and the story is pretty damn good too. I mean, yeah I always hear people bitching that it doesn't follow the graphic novels, but still. It's pretty damn good.

Stupid mid-season finale. Can't wait for it to get back on
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damaging wrote: »
    I mean, yeah I always hear people bitching that it doesn't follow the graphic novels, but still. It's pretty damn good.

I'm a devoted reader of the comics and I love that the two are so different.....It means I don't know the story.

For example, I have no idea what's going to happen with Daryl and Merle because they're not in the comics.

I have no idea where they're going with Andrea either because in the comics...
    She's the most badass character in the group. Totally unrecognisable from the TV Andrea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone at the CDC saw the MRI video of higher brain functions terminating at death and only limited autonomic functions returning upon re-animation.
    OK, fair point. Even so, Andrea wasn't a scientist, and the implications are hard to accept.
    Indeed. Her desire is sustained only by moral compromise. Right and wrong matter less and less......
    How was assisting research into zombies wrong? I really don't understand the problem here. Morton was heading in the wrong direction, but she told him that, and it's understandable that he needed to complete his experiment and see for himself.
    If someone had done for me what Michonne had done for Andrea, I might consider myself morally indebted.
    I'm not sure why you assume the relationship was one-sided.
    Because Michonne was about to kill her lover, having already cost him an eye.
    Still, it wasn't necessary to kill her. She wanted Michonne to explain herself.
    She tried to kill the human intruders at Woodbury.
    She defended herself and her community against attack. Not the same as murdering someone in cold blood.
    It was Michonne's instincts that were justified.
    By calling them instincts you are agreeing that she had no rational arguments to persuade Andrea. They weren't justified; they were little more than prejudice that happened to be right.
    I think the self-serving, mendacious, psychopathic Shane would have gotten Andrea killed in no little time at all, that is, if he didn't do it himself.
    Shane was hardly self-serving. He offered to sacrifice himself to save Otis, whom he hardly knew. He put himself at risk countless times for the group, for Carl and for the woman he loved.

Eventually Lori's games and Rick's poor leadership drove him over the edge. It's a shame. He needed to get away from them. He only stayed to help with the search for Sofie, and then because he was needed to get medical supplies for Carl.
    Or she would've soon dumped him for a better looking man, with a bigger.........gun.
    Any evidence for that? I don't think we've seen her dump anyone, yet. I'll grant that she seems to like strong men with evident leadership ability, but I don't see that as a problem.
    Ultimately, I see Andrea as little better than Lori
    For me Lori is far worse.