Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
Forum Member
Looking forward to this show tomorrow night, be interesting to see how Mr Selfridge started out and made it a sucessful business today.
Anyone else tuning in tomorrow night?

Comments

• Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackles27 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this show tomorrow night, be interesting to see how Mr Selfridge started out and made it a sucessful business today.

I'm recording it i believe its a bit similar to the BBC's The Paradise looks good.:)
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just ordered the book on amazon :D
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    I'm recording it i believe its a bit similar to the BBC's The Paradise looks good.:)

I am definitely going to watch it but I have a sneaky feeling that I am going to be comparing it to The Paradise which I absolutely loved!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone read the book? As it's all a true story it'd be interesting to know what happens (in spoilers of course).

Apparently Mr Selfridge was/is a very complex character!
    Forum Member
    Has anyone read the book? As it's all a true story it'd be interesting to know what happens (in spoilers of course).

Apparently Mr Selfridge was/is a very complex character!

He certainly had an interesting life...if you go on to Wikipedia you can read all about it..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    jackles27 wrote: »

Think I will give it a go
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to it but hope I won't be disappointed. I thought Ripper Street would be good too and tuned in last week, only to be disappointed.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we're really looking forward to this!!:D
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else only watching because of Becky from Corrie being in it?
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taz93 wrote: »

Only watching because Jeremy Piven is in it :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if this series is just a one-off (i.e. covering the whole story) or if there could be a second series?

I was reading on wikipedia about his affair with the Dolly sisters and all of it sounds so interesting! I really can't wait to watch this.
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if this series is just a one-off (i.e. covering the whole story) or if there could be a second series?

I was reading on wikipedia about his affair with the Dolly sisters and all of it sounds so interesting! I really can't wait to watch this.

He also had flings with Isadora Duncan, Anna Pavlova and quite a few more I would think.
    Regarding a second series, I guess it will depend on how popular this one turns out to be....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    He also had flings with Isadora Duncan, Anna Pavlova and quite a few more I would think.
    Regarding a second series, I guess it will depend on how popular this one turns out to be....

I literally just read that :D It's a really interesting story. Apparently the Dolly sisters spent half of his fortune between them :eek: I'd love to see that played out on screen!

I think they came along later though. The series (or the first episode atleast) is set in 1909. I think he "mingled" with them in the late 30s/early 40s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This looks so good. Definitely going to watch it.
  • Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I think this was intended to be broadcast when Paradise wasa on but it was pushed back. Looking forward to it though
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    Taz93 wrote: »

No, I am watching it despite the fact that Becky from Corrie is in it. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Isadora Duncan in it? (Not the real Isadora obviously :p).

The cast list only shows the main 6/7 members of the cast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starts tonight :D
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently it's going to be glitzier than The Paradise - I guess ITV has more money to throw at it than the BBC.
    Forum Member
    Apparently it's going to be glitzier than The Paradise - I guess ITV has more money to throw at it than the BBC.

I should'nt think it will have the lovely romantic element that The Paradise had as Mr Selfridge was a first class womaniser, but I will reserve judgement until I have seen the first episode tonight...
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Jeremy Piven. Have done since the 90s.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    I should'nt think it will have the lovely romantic element that The Paradise had as Mr Selfridge was a first class womaniser, but I will reserve judgement until I have seen the first episode tonight...

Yes from what i have been reading it maybe similar to The Paradise as its set in a Department store but that where it stops. Curious to see it anyway. I never heard of Jeremy Piven before this.:)
    Forum Member
    Yes from what i have been reading it maybe similar to The Paradise as its set in a Department store but that where it stops. Curious to see it anyway. I never heard of Jeremy Piven before this.:)

The only thing I have seen him in was Serendipity where he played a supporting role as John Cusack's friend.