laptop factory reset

wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,959
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thinking of putting my Packard Bell Windows Vista back to factory setting,taking long time to start up and get on internet.
Would this improve laptop.
What probléms could occur after reset.
Thanks

Comments

• mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    wacky joe wrote: »
    Thinking of putting my Packard Bell Windows Vista back to factory setting,taking long time to start up and get on internet.
    Would this improve laptop.
    What probléms could occur after reset.
    Thanks

I'm having the same problem with my Toshiba laptop and was considering doing the same but have held off in case it doesn't improve performance Keeping an eager eye on this thead to see replies.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resetting the laptop should ensure that Windows is now clean but you will also have all the trials and c**pware installed again.

Also you will have to re-install all Microsoft updates and any other software that you want.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever run CCleaner on the machine? If not then there could be all sorts of spurious crap clogging up the system which may or may not impact on performance. Also going through all your start up programs and working out if there are any that don't really need to be running may speed things up a little.

But whatever you do, DO NOT even think about doing a factory reset unless you have at least one, preferably two, known good working back-ups of all your data. Not to mention all the install files for all the programs you use plus any licence keys they need. Because of course all this will be lost when you reset the hard drive.
  • wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloaded the CCleaner and ran it.
    Does seem to have helped a bit,see how it goes over next couple days,still keeping Factory Reset as an option.
    Thanks
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    factory reset perhaps more hassle than it could be worth, if using windows firewall I've found resetting that to default speeds up a laggy computer ... oh & OP how long is the start up time? I'm presuming you use hibernate? .... could well be a load of unnecessary apps lurking on hard drive slowing things up too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes CCleaner diffently has helped with startup speed and getting connected.
    Will forget about factory reset .
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try the following:

1. Open a cmd prompt by right clicking and choose run as administrator and type:

sfc /scannow press enter

Let it repair anything it finds and re-boot if prompted to do so.

2. Open a cmd prompt and schedule a scandisk by typing:

chkdsk /r press enter

Answer Y to schedule scandisk on next restart of computer. Be prepared this can take a while.

3. Go to start>programs>accessories>system tools: open disk defragmenter and run it. Again can take a while.

See how your computer is running.

What internet(anti-virus and firewall) security software do you have installed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    micosoft essentials
    windows firewall
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Alan F said, it would remove all of the rubbish that slowly builds up on your system over time.

In my experience it does boost the speed a bit, I generally reset mine once a year.

If you choose to perform one make sure you back up all your files first though.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Vista, make sure you have 3GB RAM. If not, and you plan to keep the computer running for quite a while, I'd make the investment, which should not be much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe worth a virus scan with MSE updated to the latest virus definitons just in case.

Upgrading the memory as has been pointed will help.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to have your Wiindows licence key to hand. It should be on the bottom of the laptop anyway, but I find it impossible to read clearly.

There's a piece of free software called Belarc Advisor which will give you a lot of information about your laptop, including the licence key.