Adele 'tempted' to sign $10 million dollar cosmetics contract & move to LA

Comments

• Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Thank you. So you're not particularly upset about Adele's perceived hypocrisy because we are all guilty of it at some stage; it's more to do with the sum of money she is rumoured to be getting? ;)

TBH, it's obscene that any celeb/singer/actor gets millions for what they do, not just Adele.

After all, it's not life saving is it, but I guess that's the market rate for their 'services'. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If rumours are true it seems she's not quite the down to earth gal people thought - a bit of a hypocrite in fact.
    Wonder if she'll do it?
    Why on earth obsess over the mere karaoke mime ?
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair all humans are guilty of hypocrisy at some stage in their lives - whether in word or deed. And it would be really futile to try and argue otherwise. And this without the carrot of TEN MILLION DOLLARS. :p People's views change (certainly becoming a parent tends to make you very much re-evaluate many of your previoulsy held beliefs and actions). The difference between you and Adele is millions more people know about the beliefs she has had before and so there is no real hiding place :D

I'm sure we all have.....but to go from being extremely vocal,pious and scathing is another matter surely. She is hardly struggling to keep the wolf from the door, so if true is a sell out of what she said she was all about borne out of pure greed.
    Personally any celeb who does advertising come across as desperate and greedy. She is over exposed already, to her fans great but to those in the middle it could be a total turn-off.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I'm sure we all have.....but to go from being extremely vocal,pious and scathing is another matter surely. She is hardly struggling to keep the wolf from the door, so if true is a sell out of what she said she was all about borne out of pure greed.
    Personally any celeb who does advertising come across as desperate and greedy. She is over exposed already, to her fans great but to those in the middle it could be a total turn-off.

BIB Not necessarily. Kate Bush (who has integrity pouring through her veins) did an advert for Japanese watches in the early days but she looked so utterly gorgeous in it I'm very glad she did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Plus, since she's only at the the 'tempted' stage as far as we know, who's to say that she herself is not keenly aware of her previous stance about endorsements and is having to reassess her thinking on this. Like any sensible, rational person would when presented with a $10m endorsement opportunity.

Adele seems like someone who'd put her hands up and acknowledge her previous comments, not that she has any obligation to justify the business decision she takes.[/QUOTE]

No of course she doesn't........however, how can she possibly not be aware of what she said and her opinion of the "shameful" "selling out" stance she took???
    Essentially a lot of useless spouting of hot air then that changed at the whiff of more millions.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't mind the odd bit here and there, and as long as it's a reasonable brand fit, but with some people it gets to a point where it totally distracts from their 'work' and credibility.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. So you're not particularly upset about Adele's perceived hypocrisy because we are all guilty of it at some stage; it's more to do with the sum of money she is rumoured to be getting? ;)

For most people the size of the inducement will play a part in testing how strong their principles are

I think it's all relative though ---- Offer me $10m and I would go as far as to say 1 Direction are a top quality boy band.

However if I already had $100m in the bank I might think twice about it :D
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    There are loads of hypocrites in show business. You know the ones who come on the air doing 'chariteeeee' gigs whilst behind the scenes avoiding paying their fair share of tax.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are loads of hypocrites in show business. You know the ones who come on the air doing 'chariteeeee' gigs whilst behind the scenes avoiding paying their fair share of tax.

I agree, and it's right that they should be criticised. But if Adele signs this cosmetic deal, she should be equally slated for going back on her word about 'selling out'.

"I think it's shameful when you sell out," she says. "It depends what kind of artist you wanna be but I don't want my name anywhere near another brand. I don't wanna be tainted or haunted."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People change. Adele's life is now completely different to what it was two years ago. She probably never saw any of this coming. So now she has to change to fit in with her new life. There isn't any going back from the type of fame Adele now has.

True. She has to consider security for herself and her child for potentially the rest of her life. That doesn't come cheap.
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Hello Adele, here is an absolute shed load of money to promote our brand.

Adele - I cant do that! Some no marks on Digital Spy might get upset.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    True. She has to consider security for herself and her child for potentially the rest of her life. That doesn't come cheap.

I'd imagine Adele has already earned enough money to comfortably provide for herself, her children and even her grandchildren.

If she wants to endorse products that's up to her but I don't think she can plead poverty as an excuse (not that she is).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    Hello Adele, here is an absolute shed load of money to promote our brand.

Adele - I cant do that! Some no marks on Digital Spy might get upset.

You're the no mark for failing to grasp what most of us are trying to say :o

I couldn't care less how many brands Adele chooses to promote - I'm talking about her going back on her word about 'selling out' (that's if she does sign the deal).

She's already worth shed loads of money - good luck to her, I don't envy her wealth.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    You're the no mark for failing to grasp what most of us are trying to say :o

I couldn't care less how many brands Adele chooses to promote - I'm talking about her going back on her word about 'selling out' (that's if she does sign the deal).

She's already worth shed loads of money - good luck to her, I don't envy her wealth.

I believe at least some of this thread is powered by envy but I'm sure you wouldn't agree :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe a lot of this thread is powered by envy but I'm sure you wouldn't agree :D

I think a lot of this thread is powered by pointing out that ifshe chooses to endorse a brand it makes her a hypocrite and whatever she says a load of hot air. Principles shot at the first hurdle to the waft of money.....I'm sure you wouldn't agree ;)

What is anyone supposed to be envying?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe at least some of this thread is powered by envy but I'm sure you wouldn't agree :D

No, I think it's you missing the point :confused:
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Envious? Definitely not.

During the time of her fame, be it long or short, she'll have to watch every little thing she does and says all the time because it'll be picked up on just the way this story has. I would hate to be her just because she can't open her mouth without being criticised, and that's one of the downsides of fame for any celeb, not just Adele.

Very nice to have the money and good luck to her - but it won't buy her happiness or necessarily peace of mind. If she gets upset by criticism it won't buy her a thicker skin either.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please... GO!
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    She didn't want her name near another brand.. isn't she already a hypocrite in that case for doing the Bond theme? Not that I personally care.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, amazing that a rumour in that paragon of truth the Daily Fail can cause haters to treat it as gospel and go on the attack but should it be a rumour in the same rag about one of their faves it's all a load of rubbish.

Even if it turns out to be 100% true, good luck to her is all I can say. It's not like this woman was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, is it? Alcoholic, absent father and brought up by her mum in a flat in Tottenham. She's got where she has on pure talent alone. If she now wishes to secure her and her family's future by wearing some make up and being photographed then fine by me. She's bloody gorgeous anyway.

As previously stated, she's in a very fickle business, it can all go so wrong so quickly (Anthony Costa anyone??) so why not make sure she's set for life?

yeah this. The DM could at least wait to see what happens before insinuating she's a hypocrit. And what exactly does being close to signing something mean? does it mean she's sat with a pen hovering above a piece of paper or does it mean the DM has heard that someone wants to offer her a shitload of money and are assuming that she, like anyone, would be tempted....before, as is very likely, not bothering with it.

As if they'd f****** know anyhow?
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a British artist who is winning everything including Grammy's and Oscars why shouldn't she take the offer for big money? I will be great to have someone who isn't size 0, advertising make up.
    They love her in America, she should go for it.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, and it's right that they should be criticised. But if Adele signs this cosmetic deal, she should be equally slated for going back on her word about 'selling out'.

"I think it's shameful when you sell out," she says. "It depends what kind of artist you wanna be but I don't want my name anywhere near another brand. I don't wanna be tainted or haunted."

Isn't she already part of the James Bond brand, with a song that is iconic?
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are all those who are talking about how her success might not last and she may need the money in the future etc. aware that she has sold 34 MILLION albums? How much do you think she has already earned in royalties? Artists normally get about 75p per album so even at a conservative estimate she has probably earned tens of millions which is more than enough to keep someone in the lap of luxury for the rest of their lives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Isn't she already part of the James Bond brand, with a song that is iconic?

Don't get it, do you? That quote was from Adele :confused:
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    If she gets upset by criticism it won't buy her a thicker skin either.
    I don't think anyone who goes to the Grammy's wearing a dress that wouldn't look amiss on a DFS sofa need worry about growing a thicker skin.

Sadly - I am one of those who is quite envious of her money. Sorry - but all of that 'money doesn't buy you everything' malarky is just rubbish.