Upgraded over the phone to iPhone 5 tonight....

1235»

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Such a common thread on internet discussion boards - the OP starts it purportedly asking for advice but in reality he/she is really asking for praise for what he/she believes is a clever bit of business. When the replies indicate this is in actual fact an idiotic 'bit of business' the OP gets all defensive about it. Hilarious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Mariah Carey had a song out in 1995. From the "Daydream" album, if memory serves. One word title.

Very apt for this thread.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Such a common thread on internet discussion boards - the OP starts it purportedly asking for advice but in reality he/she is really asking for praise for what he/she believes is a clever bit of business. When the replies indicate this is in actual fact an idiotic 'bit of business' the OP gets all defensive about it. Hilarious.
    I'm really quite relaxed about the whole thing, it's other posters who appear rather upset.

If the guy has lied to me I'll try to push for a free upgrade. If I have to end up paying to upgrade early in line with o2's 4G promise it won't be the end of the world.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davybhoy wrote: »

You won't get a free upgrade either!

Enjoy your 24 months of 2g/3G :rolleyes:

He will get the contract canceled FREE OF CHARGE, He is protected by the miss-selling laws. Fortunately miss-selling is illegal and although it appears to annoy some on here he is entitled to have the contract canceled.

He can also keep the handset, as the price was either £XX.XX or FREE, Its the actual contract that is invalid here. Proving it may be a bitch, an the networks don't make these things easy and many give up. But he is protected by law.
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    This is why i hate Phones 4 U. They are crooks, the worst scum out of all of the companies who sell contracts[/B]. They will tell you anything and everything to get you to sign up. They will probably refuse to return the contract now and refer you to o2 to cancel it or get a refund.

The iPhone 5 will not work on O2. You may be able to upgrade to a 4G phone as per O2's 4G commitment but that will involve most likely signing a new contract and paying a premium for 4G.

Only EE and Three's 4G network will work. If anything it's better to go with Three as they won't be charging a premium for 4G unlike all the other networks.

Phones 4 U should be shut down.

Edit: Just saw the phone call wasn't recorded by you. Well thats it now. Phones 4 U will just say the call was never recorded and your stuck. I suggest writing a letter to their head office or ringing them up and asking to return the phone. (if you want to) Doubt they'll care about you though.

To be honest, I't wasnt that long ago I was in a situation, where I had completey messed up my GS2.(Don't ask) I went to all the shops CPW, Orange etc. none of which wanted to help.except for P4u.Thanks to the Manager there, I left the shop with a brand new GS3 LTE.On EE, I was on orange before and now I have 4G..so my experience with them was great I couldn't have asked for more..
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    To the OP, you have no proof that you were assured it would work on O2's 4G network. Going by what you have said. He has lied to you. You have been told this several times here and have carried on with the contract so far.

You do know the cost of a iPhone 5 is about 500 quid for the base model. Likely the 5S is to be the same. So this mistake even if O2 offer you a deal come this summer is likely to cost you a couple of hundred pounds to 'upgrade' just for you to get on the 4G network.

Yes you are protected by law, having seen this law 'in action' you are pretty much going to be stuck with this contract after the hand back period.

You have been advised of what you should do (hand it back) so enjoy O2 3G for the next 18/24 months. Please do let us know come summer how you get on with your free upgrade. Regards TLL.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He will get the contract canceled, he will get the iPhone for free, IF!!! What he says is exactly what happened.
    Forum Member
    To the OP, you have no proof that you were assured it would work on O2's 4G network. Going by what you have said. He has lied to you. You have been told this several times here and have carried on with the contract so far.

You do know the cost of a iPhone 5 is about 500 quid for the base model. Likely the 5S is to be the same. So this mistake even if O2 offer you a deal come this summer is likely to cost you a couple of hundred pounds to 'upgrade' just for you to get on the 4G network.

Yes you are protected by law, having seen this law 'in action' you are pretty much going to be stuck with this contract after the hand back period.

You have been advised of what you should do (hand it back) so enjoy O2 3G for the next 18/24 months. Please do let us know come summer how you get on with your free upgrade. Regards TLL.
    If I don't get the free upgrade I'll pay to upgrade when the time is right. It's ok, just try to calm down.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be honest i gave up reading page 4 & 5 so i don't know what happened there.

1. o2 and vodaphone does not use 1800mhz which is what the iphone uses in the UK. Until maybe 10years time they might use it.

2. it seems like your trying to enjoy the iPhone 5 then when the time comes you moan to CS and say you was mis sold and then get a new phone. Which is wrong

HOnestly no one should bother responding, if he wants to steal from a company, i hope he gets ripped off again when in he calls to moan.

If you want 4g on o2 on an iphone, wait for the new iPhone. Yes i can confirm that the operator lied to you. dont be a fool.

Even if your able to return the phone, the hassle you would go through, calling them, writing to them, waiting on the line, wasting precious time, i can go on and on. and with what people are saying here, i can guess P4U has a terrible CS.

But if your happy with the phone and will pay for the upgrade, cool, if your have decided to return the phone, cool.

good luck
    Forum Member
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    to be honest i gave up reading page 4 & 5 so i don't know what happened there.

1. o2 and vodaphone does not use 1800mhz which is what the iphone uses in the UK. Until maybe 10years time they might use it.
    O2/VF do actually have 1800, currently used in high usage urban areas for 2G. :) They have a tiny amount and are unlikely to use it for 4G any time soon.
    Forum Member
    If I don't get the free upgrade I'll pay to upgrade when the time is right. It's ok, just try to calm down.

I'm perfectly calm. Just making sure you know where you stand :)
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2/VF do actually have 1800, currently used in high usage urban areas for 2G. :) They have a tiny amount and are unlikely to use it for 4G any time soon.

yea they do but cannot use it on 4g till ofcom lets them which by then there might be an iPhone 10 or iPhone will no long exist
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    He will get the contract canceled FREE OF CHARGE, He is protected by the miss-selling laws. Fortunately miss-selling is illegal and although it appears to annoy some on here he is entitled to have the contract canceled.

He can also keep the handset, as the price was either £XX.XX or FREE, Its the actual contract that is invalid here. Proving it may be a bitch, an the networks don't make these things easy and many give up. But he is protected by law.

A load of balls because it can never be proved so he won't get free upgrades or anything else! Also, the phone is provided free as part of the contract, hence why the price of the phone is dependant on the price of the monthly tariff. By your thinking, everyone could get a contract with a free phone then cancel the contract but keep the phone as you are only cancelling the contract! Nonsense!!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »

If he doesn't prove it now (which he won't do) then he's screwed. Doesn't matter if he's protected by the law. He simply won't be able to prove he was mis sold.

OP, i still don't know why you're defending phones 4 u. Have you even contacted them yet?

Some people have more money than sense. :rolleyes:
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I'm really quite relaxed about the whole thing, it's other posters who appear rather upset.

If the guy has lied to me I'll try to push for a free upgrade. If I have to end up paying to upgrade early in line with o2's 4G promise it won't be the end of the world.

You will not, and i repeat not get an upgrade months down the line.
    Forum Member
    So i just googled it and found this-?
    http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/4g-phone-promise-for-iphone-5-customers

So does this mean that if the OP wants 4G in July he will have to pay over £600 to buy out his contract (with 10% discount and VAT off) and then sign up to an equivalent or higher cost package with a 4G handset....

So how it works is that you buy out your contract (over £600). Then have to sign up to another 24 month £42pm tariff or more and then pay for the 4G handset again. What a joke.

And i thought EE's upgrade options were bad.

EDIT: Confirmed by O2
    Forum Member
    Jabba: Thanks. I tried to find that link before to put across but totally couldn't find it again. :)
    Forum Member
    If he doesn't prove it now (which he won't do) then he's screwed. Doesn't matter if he's protected by the law. He simply won't be able to prove he was mis sold.

OP, i still don't know why you're defending phones 4 u. Have you even contacted them yet?

Tell me the number of a post where I have defended Phones4U.
    Forum Member
    So i just googled it and found this-?
    http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/4g-phone-promise-for-iphone-5-customers

So does this mean that if the OP wants 4G in July he will have to pay over £600 to buy out his contract (with 10% discount and VAT off) and then sign up to an equivalent or higher cost package with a 4G handset....

So how it works is that you buy out your contract (over £600). Then have to sign up to another 24 month £42pm tariff or more and then pay for the 4G handset again. What a joke.

And i thought EE's upgrade options were bad.

EDIT: Confirmed by O2

http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/phone-promise
    Forum Member
    Jabba: Thanks. I tried to find that link before to put across but totally couldn't find it again. :)

I must have been living under a rock or something. I geniunly thought that O2 were doing the same thing as EE where you just pay £99 then upgrade on to a new price plan of your choice. (at a higher cost)

I didn't realise it was basically buying your contract out. It's not even a discount. I remember when i asked the same with Three they said they give 10% discount anyway. I think that's just shocking. It's not a 4G price promise. It's an early upgrade charge. And it's a scam because you're paying more for the phone with the mins/texts/data and you don't even use it!!!!

@porkchop- numerous times. Like i said, they won't care if you accuse them of mis-selling unless you take it further with them.

And you've pretty much quoted the same thing. You still have to pay over £600 (you, personally) to upgrade early.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's hardly even an offer at all. In fact, it's a terrible deal. You can buy yourself out of your contract and sell your phone whether you intend to sign up for 4G or not. So all they're offering is a 25% discount on the line rental cost, with the proviso that you sign up for a (presumably expensive) 24 month 4G contract.

Also, only £265 for an iPhone 5?
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some people also seem to have money and no sense!