iPad Mini to HDMI

Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
Forum Member
Hi all.

Recently got an iPad mini and I've got to say I love it. What I was hoping for some advice on is getting it connected to the tv. I've found myself using it a lot for watching tv catch up and movies etc so it would be brilliant if I could get it onto the tv.

Having done a quick google, I've seen you can get a fairly cheap iPad to HDMI and USB cable. Would one of these work? Could anyone recommend a good one?

The other thing that struck me was that the iPad mini has a lightning socket rather than a traditional one, would I have to get a traditional to lightning adaptor as well or can you buy lighting to HDMI cables?

Comments

• dpwykesdpwykes Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Hi all.

Recently got an iPad mini and I've got to say I love it. What I was hoping for some advice on is getting it connected to the tv. I've found myself using it a lot for watching tv catch up and movies etc so it would be brilliant if I could get it onto the tv.

Having done a quick google, I've seen you can get a fairly cheap iPad to HDMI and USB cable. Would one of these work? Could anyone recommend a good one?

The other thing that struck me was that the iPad mini has a lightning socket rather than a traditional one, would I have to get a traditional to lightning adaptor as well or can you buy lighting to HDMI cables?

Just checked on the Apple Site and they sell one for £39 (link), seems expensive as you would also need your own HMDI cable as well.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    dpwykes wrote: »
    Just checked on the Apple Site and they sell one for £39 (link), seems expensive as you would also need your own HMDI cable as well.
    For the older 30-pin connector there are very inexpensive 3rd party HDMI convertors available - but not for Lightning it seems.

It might be better to use Airplay to wirelessly connect to a "TV media box". Ones running XBMC are alleged to receive Airplay - and some are quite cheap!
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/apples-lightning-to-hdmi-cant-actually-output-at-1080p/

Looks like the reason you can't get cheap lightning to HDMI is because of the technology in apples little box. Shame, but I still wonder if its possible to use a lightning to 30 pin adaptor then use a cheaper 30 pin to HDMI cable
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    ... but not for Lightning it seems.
    If it was not for the fact that Apple likes to monopolise everything the ARM chip in the cable looks quite a bodge.

Suggestions are that it is also an analogue signal then converted to digital HDMI.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Suggestions are that it is also an analogue signal then converted to digital HDMI.
    Given that Apple call Lightning an "all digital signal path" that seems unlikely!
    Forum Member
    It looks like I'm going to have to fork out the £40 + HDMI lead for the apple connector. I've had at streaming. Apple TV seems to be the only sure fire product and at £99 I'm not sure I want to fork out for something I've never actually experienced before.
    Forum Member
    It looks like I'm going to have to fork out the £40 + HDMI lead for the apple connector. I've had at streaming. Apple TV seems to be the only sure fire product and at £99 I'm not sure I want to fork out for something I've never actually experienced before.
    Apple TV (of course!!!) works flawlessly - I have one! I have no direct experience on how well XBMC (or any other products with claimed Airplay compatibility) work!
    Forum Member
    Is Apple TV worth the extra money though? Do you find you use it much? Can you do direct mirroring or is it just music and video from the iOS device?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the Apple TV you can use AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Given that Apple call Lightning an "all digital signal path" that seems unlikely!

Seems it is a serial bus whereas HDMI is parallel.
    An expensive £39 compromised bodge.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all.

I would suggest you buy an Apple TV for use with your iPad. Once connected to your TV most video on that can be viewed on the iPad can be streamed wirelessly through AirPlay. Once you have used your iPad, or any iOS device that way, you will never want to go back to cables. It is an awesome Apple feature.

http://www.apple.com/airplay/
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Seems it is a serial bus whereas HDMI is parallel.
    An expensive £39 compromised bodge.
    So it seems! This article is somewhat worrying!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/apples-lightning-to-hdmi-cant-actually-output-at-1080p/
    Forum Member
    Ended up getting the hdmi adaptor. Thanks for all your advice, but i need to have mean of moving it from tv to tv quite easily, so apple tv would have been hard to justify