Forum Member
✭✭✭
simple question is it?

Comments

• PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    I'm not sayng it is I've never watched it but it seems to be everywhere these days, I was thinking maybe I should watch bit from the beginning see if it's as good as the hype suggests, just wondering if I'd be disappointed

No it's one of the best TV series ever.:cool:
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    No way of telling if you'd be disappointed really. You're asking on an internet forum where nobody knows you. Just give it a try if you fancy seeing what the hype is about.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently thought I'd give it a go, after hearing all the buzz. I saw the Pilot, found it pretty boring to be honest. I might give some more episodes a go in the future, if I can be bothered. :o
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wire for the poor man.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha giving up on the pilot shakes head, the first series is basically a 7 hour pilot from series 2 onwards it's constantly one of the best shows in the last 20 years simple answer no I'd say it's underrated seeing as it never had a full run on actulal TV in the UK.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greatest tv show ever made

poor mans wire, man, now that is funny
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not overated.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slow burner but turned into one of the best TV series ever.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    poor mans wire, man, now that is funny

Especially when it suggests that Breaking Bad is somehow like The Wire, but just not as good. They couldn't be more different. The Wire was about the decline and fall of a city. Breaking Bad was about the strangely-simultaneous rise and fall of one human being. The latter was a far more interesting theme for me, and better executed. And not even The Wire's biggest fans think it "went out on top;" its last season was its worst. Breaking Bad has just steadily climbed to greater heights and is going out with a bang.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a short attention span, then no, it's not the series for you.

But it's one of the best slow-burn series of all time, and is really literary, deep, and full of hidden layers of meaning.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay so, I got criticized early on in the "breaking bad" thread on here for saying 'Weeds' is better, as I enjoyed it more - I felt it had all the drama Breaking Bad does with less of a dark atmosphere and of course comedy added - this is just because it's suited more too my taste, But I genuinely do think it's a better show. Breaking Bad is a really well written show and I think that it why I like it, because the writing is unlike anything I've seen in quite some time, but being a avid tv fan, I also like shows that have replay ability and Breaking Bad doesn't for me. I'd say the praise the show gets is justified because of the acting capabilities of Bryan and Aaron and the writing, but I hear some people say it's the best show they've ever watched - Maybe because I've watched a lot of TV series I have a wider range to pick from, but as a whole IMO it is slightly over rated.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great show imo, best thing you can do it stay away from the internet, watch it, try not to make comparisons and make your own mind up. Ultimately your enjoyment of it, or anything else really, is far more import at than whatever its widely accepted status may be.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never seen it, but I will try to watch it all in one run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Okay so, I got criticized early on in the "breaking bad" thread on here for saying 'Weeds' is better, as I enjoyed it more - I felt it had all the drama Breaking Bad does with less of a dark atmosphere.

Breaking Bad is a pure morality play. It doesn't let anyone off the hook, and that's why it's so great.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wire for the poor man.

I know it's all subjective, but The Wire is absolute shite! It's not even in the same ballpark as Breaking Bad, let alone the same league.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Absolutely not, nish, nada! Nothing has gripped me like BB, the depth of the characters, the superb writing. I for one will be gutted when it finally finishes, maybe I'll have to watch the whole thing over again! :cool:
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the quality of BB has never dipped - its been constant/rising throughout its whole run. I really liked The Wire but I think the quality dipped in the last season.
  • LucyyculLucyycul Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its brilliant
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's overrated either. To be fair, though, they know when to end it, so it can go out on top. A lot of shows start to go down the pan because they don't know when to call it a day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    LondonKiwi wrote: »
    I think the quality of BB has never dipped - its been constant/rising throughout its whole run. I really liked The Wire but I think the quality dipped in the last season.

I'd disagree, the first season is disappointingly average. It got better towards the end of season 1 and the beginning of season 2. Never really been motivated to finish it, I personally prefer shows like Dexter and Homeland...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    If you have a short attention span, then no, it's not the series for you.

But it's one of the best slow-burn series of all time, and is really literary, deep, and full of hidden layers of meaning.

This is spot on.

I've had several people on my facebook ask me about it as I've commented how good it is with a few saying they started it but couldn't get into it. That, imo, is what makes it brilliant. However, I was hooked the minute I saw Walt in his pants in the desert - I don't think I've ever laughed so much, it was hilarious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I know it's all subjective, but The Wire is absolute shite! It's not even in the same ballpark as Breaking Bad, let alone the same league.

I could never get into the Wire - I never understood the love for it. Thought I was alone, not sure what I was missing with it :(

As for BB - its been quality thought out, theres never been a shoddy season. Its all about character development and seeing how they all adapt and change and what they do as questionable and how things have just spiraled. For me its been totally gripping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    It's really good, I've enjoyed it. But yes I think some people will find it over-rated and some episodes are slow. I started watching it years ago before anyone really spoke about it and it's strange to see how mainstream it's become now with nearly everyone I know talking about it. Probably helps that is now available on Netflix, as for a good few years it was not on UK TV at all!

To be honest I hated the wire and found that boring and over-rated, be boring if we all liked the same things!
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Next question.

And i'm afraid Weeds isn't even in the same ballpark as Breaking Bad.