Is 3D here to stay?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Considering buying a 3D TV but don't want to buy one if 3D is going to fade out soon.

What are people's opinions on it?

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Considering buying a 3D TV but don't want to buy one if 3D is going to fade out soon.

I've got a 3D television and I don't actually watch that much 3D content to be fair, even though i've got access to Sky 3D.

I don't always think 3D adds a lot to a film - Gravity being a recent exception to that, but that's really a one-off 'event' film.

I've watched the first half of a football match in 3D as well and while there's a novelty aspect towards it, I found I wanted to watch the 2nd half "properly".

To specifically answer your question, yes I do think 3D is here to stay because it allows a film to perform above it's expectations financially due to the higher box office price.

But from a home viewing medium, I think it's still rather in the 'novelty' arena, but that's only my own opinion.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not going to fade out anytime soon.

I think they'l use it more sparingly....but pretty much all CGI films are 3D, all the big Superhero films are in 3D, most of the big summer blockbusters are 3D. That's not going to change.

Half a dozen new Star Wars films will be in 3D, Avatar 2,3 and 4..that'll take us to about 2020.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just worried there seems a lack of channels for it and a reluctance from TV companies to commission them. HD is still the best format but having the 3D is a nice alternate when you want something different.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's plenty of 3D material around; it's just not on TV.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »

You've posted a TV question in the movies forum. They're different mediums, so there's two different perspectives.

From the film side, it's probably here to stay in as much as now that the technology has 'come of age' - i.e. it's reached the point where if you have the budget and imagination, you can do amazing things with it - there's no reason why it should die out completely as it has in other attempts. As with all technology, it'll get cheaper and easier to do it better and better. The big stumbling block to mass 3D acceptance is the glasses. If I were in the industry, I'd be looking at how to make them thinner and thinner, to the point where the viewer barely feels or notices them. I think eventually, 3D - in one form or another - will be the default standard.

As for TV, whatever your personal opinon on 3D and where it's going, there's no point deliberately excluding it from your next purchase. The price difference between the same model with and without this feature isn't so big as to be a deal breaker, IMO, so you may as well buy one with it to hedge your bets. (I'm assuming here that you've got a fixed size in mind, whether with or without. e.g. you're not thinking "I'll buy a 32" without, but if with, then I'll spring for a 42" ".)
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the general feeling is that, although the numbers are dropping, 3D in cinemas is here to stay. TV on the other hand is a different story, with many broadcasters shutting down their 3D channels and TV manufacturers focussing on other technologies, 4k etc
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    In the cinema - then probably the answer is yes. I'm not a fan of it by the way, but I suppose I can sort of see a business case for it; especially with piracy, simultaneous releases and the need to make the cinema experience unique.

In the home - then the jury is still out on that one. I suspect that 4K might be the next big thing. I think that Sony are now working on a 4K media format disk for films. They already have the TVs(as do Panasonic) and in the US a media server for 4K content. Plus, next year the Football World Cup is getting broadcast in some places in 4K. It might be likely that 4K could be skipped altogether and the technology moves on to 8K, we'll have to wait and see.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're buying a top end TV anyway, chances are it will have a 3D option. Personally, even though I enjoy it the cinema, I wouldn't buy a new TV just for it. But I expect when the time comes for me to get a new TV it will be 3D capable.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a few 3d blus. interesting viewing. They are just too dear at £20 a go.

If you play games then full screen two player gaming is probably worth the admission price on its own. Lg dual screen, but the idea works on any 3d TV