International Cricket 2013

Comments

• ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    ACU I think you read the Dhoni DRS situation wrong, Most people in twitter and Forums saw it has a joke and they actually liked it since it seemed that Dhoni Wanted the DRS, and english journalist on twitter, were also saying during the test series that their is a big chance that Dhoni and BCCI, have changed their views on the DRS.
    But don't get your hopes up yet, we may see a political battle, with the cost, pricing and what technology being used still being a massive stumbling block.
    I don't really mind BCCI being reluctant on using the DRS, it is actually making the system better. ICC were very quick to get it started with out actually setting it up correctly.
    ICC will have to Pay the entire cost or get sponsorship.
    ICC will have to make sure all series has the same technology being used, currently all series use different technology or different cameras and different systems.
    People are forgetting that Sri lanka and pakistan, have had series with no DRS because their boards can't afford it, Pakistan even lost the series against sri lanka because of poor decisions, and both teams were not happy, that DRS wasn't used in the series.
    SKY Boys always forget this when they Bash india for not having DRS, they always forget about Sri Lanka and Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, of course all these games are not live in Sky, so they pretend those games don't exist.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-pakistan-2012/content/story/570022.html

"Hafeez's views were the same as those expressed by his coach Dav Whatmore, who had criticised the selective implementation of technology. Sri Lanka Cricket was unable to use DRS against Pakistan because of the costs involved, but Hafeez said it was time the ICC put its foot down."

ICC should really pay for the DRS and make sure all the DRS is the same, the DRS used in Pakistan and Sri lanka is not the same as the ones uses in england and australia.

I dont think Dhoni meant it as a joke (I could be wrong), he had a pretty serious look on his face when he was signalling. Unless the people on twitter/forumns are mind readers are would rather ignore what they think, Dhoni meant.

I agree with you that the ICC need to pay for any DRS equipment, and they should standardise what technology is to be used. However I suppose they can only do that if the BCCI agree to have DRS. At the moment only the BCCI object to DRS (which is why they get stick from the Sky boys), every other board is happy to go with it. Since the BCCI say no, the ICC goes along with what the BCCI says.

Its true the recent SL/Pak series didnt have DRS, but not because they didnt want to...its because they didnt have the equipment.
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    I could be mistaken but Dhoni was smiling when he did it, and Bowden was smiling as well when he saw it, and they was no complaints from the match referee or anything.
    cricinfo comment on it.
    Kumar to Azhar Ali, 4 leg byes, oh my! how close was that!. It was another big indipper, stays low and hits the batsman right in front of the stumps, Billy Bowden says no, Dhoni asks for a review, Bowden smiles..It probably just hit him outside the line of off

can't find video evidence, but pakistani fans are claming it was a joke.
    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=168744
    one of the English journalist said during the test, that their sources were saying India are close to agreeing to the DRS.

But also people forget that india did use DRS for their first test series in 2008, and India were the first test team to use DRS, but ICC were a bit to quick to use it, without thinking how they would implement it.
    a Video of why India hates DRS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juMq3O-_YT8
    and that time, DRS was totally different to what it is now, they was no Hawkye, No hotspot.
    if india used the DRS now, then, I could imagine DRS would be used in all series, But how many improvement have been made because of india reluctance to use it:D
    the funny thing was that India actually wanted to trial out the DRS, so they were eager for the DRS.
    Tendulkar not happy, giving it out, Probably right though, the newer DRS, would have given that out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-4TYSx9vw
    Forum Member
    Articles of that tour, some very ironic quotes coming up, surprise none of the broadcaster remember them, Sky Comms really should watch ZEE Cafe or Zee Cinema in 2008.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/slvind/content/story/364482.html
    The present review system uses the Virtual Eye technology, which maps where the ball pitched and the point where it hit the pad, and predicts where the ball will hit the stumps (though this is not available to the third umpire due to doubts over its accuracy). However, the system produced a gaffe when it failed to detect a deflection from Virender Sehwag's front pad onto the back pad in India's second innings at the SSC, and showed the impact of the ball in line with where it hit the back pad, but at a distance from the stumps where his front pad was. Third umpire Rudi Koertzen too failed to point out the glaring error to the on-field umpire.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/slvind/content/story/363942.html
    don't think india Selectors would pick an 19 year old, without much first class experiance anymore:D

http://www.espncricinfo.com/slvind/content/story/362580.html
    Sehwag shouldn't have been given out.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/slvind/content/story/362094.html
    surprised no one has ever remember this article, when they bash india on this.
    ndia's captain Anil Kumble was, like his counterpart Mahela Jayawardene, eager to see what the referral system - which allows each side three unsuccessful review requests per innings - would throw up, but also was more forthright in his acceptance of it. "It is the first time [that it will used] and it will be helpful for the umpires and the teams," he said. "This is meant for the obvious errors which happen on the field and it's something we can negate, rather than look at every way to question the umpire.
    "They [umpires] make mistakes and sometimes, in the moment, they may not have picked up a certain edge that hits the pad, and you appeal for a leg-before, and it is given out. Those types of referrals may matter and change the course of the game," he said. "We had a discussion yesterday, but I can't say much until it is experimented with. But I welcome it."
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/355140.html
    The BCCI said on Monday that it has agreed to implement the trial for the three-Test series from July 23 to August 12.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/354984.html
    The proposed umpire review system will be trialled during India's three-Test series against Sri Lanka, beginning next month, the Indian board has said. Originally set to feature for the first time during South Africa's upcoming series against England, it was shelved after both boards failed to reach an agreement on the details.
    Umpires should still be permitted to refer line decisions or boundaries to the third umpire as normal without a player requesting him to refer that decision"
    The players should be permitted to ask the on-field umpire to review any aspect of any other decision in consultation with the third umpire
    The process should take the form and order of: on-field umpire gives his decision; affected batsman or fielding side's captain asks the umpire to review that decision; the on-field umpire(s) and third umpire consult; the on-field umpire gives his final decision
    The committee recommended that Hawk-Eye technology could be used by the third umpire but only for the purposes of determining the actual path of the ball up until the point that it struck the batsman and not the predictor function of the technology
    The BCCI press release said the following technology could be used by the third umpire while considering the review request:

Slow motion replays from all available cameras
    Super slow motion replays from the cameras positioned at either end of the ground
    Ultra motion camera replays from the cameras positioned at either end of the ground
    Sound from the stump microphones with the replays at normal speed and slow motion
    Hawk-Eye for ball tracking purposes only (not for predicting the potential future trajectory of the ball)
    According to the system, players will request reviews by making a 'T' sign; if the third umpire disagrees with the on-field umpire, the on-field umpire should revoke his previous decision before giving the new verdict. The review system will make its first appearance in the first Test in Colombo, which begins on July 23.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/engvrsa/content/story/353934.html
    ironic Article
    The proposed trial of umpire referrals won't take place during England's Test series against South Africa in July after the boards failed to agree on the finer details.

There is unease among the players about testing the system in such a high-profile series and continued concerns about undermining the on-field umpires. The next possible use of the technology, which will include Hawk-Eye, would be between India and Sri Lanka later in July.

If india were not so quick to use DRS in 2008, we may have seen DRS being used by all nations now, it did seem after the 2007/08 tour where umpires cost india the series. India were keen For the DRS:D
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bell gets a hundred in our 2nd warm up game. It's frustrating to see Samit Patel waste yet more chances in the warm up games. When will the selectors say enough?
    Forum Member
    This guy should get a medal, and respect from all cricketers and fans.
    Soumik Chatterjee , couldn't even walk with a badly damaged knee, he suffered in the game, but came out to bat, and hit the winning run, and not only that he ran seven runs*. ( he hoped on one leg)
    also this was a big Shock, Services team is all made up of Army personnel, and them and Railways are the only sides, not to get any funding from BCCI, since they are not run by State cricket Association, instead run by the Army and the Railways, and to play for them is restricted, to play for the services, the players have to be from the army, and the railways are made up of players from the railways industry.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ranji-trophy-2012/content/current/story/600068.html
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ranji-trophy-2012/content/current/story/600123.html
    a quote from the Captain.
    "We are soldiers first, players later… A soldier remains a soldier, till he is no more."

the interesting thing about the services team, is that all the players have to go through the military training each year.
    Can you imagine international cricketers going through this, imagine Samit Patel, Sehwag and all the chubby cricketers going through this. LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    This guy should get a medal, and respect from all cricketers and fans.
    Soumik Chatterjee , couldn't even walk with a badly damaged knee, he suffered in the game, but came out to bat, and hit the winning run, and not only that he ran seven runs*. ( he hoped on one leg)
    also this was a big Shock, Services team is all made up of Army personnel, and them and Railways are the only sides, not to get any funding from BCCI, since they are not run by State cricket Association, instead run by the Army and the Railways, and to play for them is restricted, to play for the services, the players have to be from the army, and the railways are made up of players from the railways industry.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ranji-trophy-2012/content/current/story/600068.html
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ranji-trophy-2012/content/current/story/600123.html
    a quote from the Captain.
    "We are soldiers first, players later… A soldier remains a soldier, till he is no more."

the interesting thing about the services team, is that all the players have to go through the military training each year.
    Can you imagine international cricketers going through this, imagine Samit Patel, Sehwag and all the chubby cricketers going through this. LOL

LOL . But a famously fat player of the 1950s , non other than Colin Cowdrey managed to avoid national service by claiming some sort of foot injury. He went to a Harley Street doctor who described him as unfit for Army service, and then took a taxi to Lord's where he played for the MCC on the very same day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear 2 warm up games 2 defeats.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really terrible bowling attack we've got, worst since the 90s?

I guess it's looking at the future, but really none have them, apart from Finn, have even a decent domestic record.

ahh, well maybe the time to whittle some of them out of contention for a good while.
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Oh dear 2 warm up games 2 defeats.
    blame it on the bowlers, bowling far too short, unless they don't learn from they mistakes, India will win 5-0.
    for some odd reason, England believe India batsman struggle with the short ball, but don't understand that the indian batsman struggle with pace, bowling 80-85 MPH bouncers/Short balls in a slow pitch, with low bounce will get whacked.

I will be very surprised if India prepares any wicket with pace, Swing and Seam, most indian ODI pitches are full of runs.
    But in a Weird way, I think this India ODI team are better then the 2011 world cup winning team and the team that whitewashed england twice at home.
    they have more bowlers that look like taking wickets, bhuveshnar Kumar, Shami Ahmed and Ashwin, plus they are playing 5 bowlers, but they batsman are in bad form though, but if they regain they form, I would say this team is better then the 2011 word champion side.
  • Oh_wellOh_well Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Really terrible bowling attack we've got, worst since the 90s?

I guess it's looking at the future, but really none have them, apart from Finn, have even a decent domestic record.

ahh, well maybe the time to whittle some of them out of contention for a good while.

Hard to see it performing any better against an actual international team , its a bit embarrassing really , cant see any reason India wont feast on it despite their problems.
    Forum Member
    look at this comment from cricinfo, it is so true.
    This is one of those weird series where most fans of both teams don't like their chances. Indians are depressed after the recent thrashings we have received and England have excuses ready as they have left a number of players at home (and Eng don't care about ODIs outside of the world cup anyway...). From an Indian perspective, it seems as if there is nothing to gain out of this series. If we win, then it will seem as though it was Eng who was really bad (considering Eng lost even their 2 tour games) and a lot of genuine problems in the current team will be forgotten. If we lose, then of course it would just be another new low.
    But got to say I am bit disappointed with the English media and players reaction to one day games again, it seem England were understanding one day international last year, when they tried to win every game, and the media made it sound the one day internationals are important.
    England are living in cuckoo land if they think England can win the world cup and champions trophy, just by concentrating on the one day format months before the tournament, the work starts now, Especially where conditions don't really make a difference in ODI, most pitches are flat, and hardly any help for bowlers.
    thank goodness England have a new coach for the one day stuff, they could finally have some one concentrating on this format, and have Flower concentrating on the test stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But got to say I am bit disappointed with the English media and players reaction to one day games again, it seem England were understanding one day international last year, when they tried to win every game, and the media made it sound the one day internationals are important.
    England are living in cuckoo land if they think England can win the world cup and champions trophy, just by concentrating on the one day format months before the tournament, the work starts now, Especially where conditions don't really make a difference in ODI, most pitches are flat, and hardly any help for bowlers.
    thank goodness England have a new coach for the one day stuff, they could finally have some one concentrating on this format, and have Flower concentrating on the test stuff.

Problem is Swann need's a rest sometime, so does Anderson, and Broad is unfit anyway ATM. This series seems the best chance to rest them.

The thing is the selectors rate Dernbach, Meaker and Woakes in this format, they're wrong IMHO, but we'll see.
    Forum Member
    Problem is Swann need's a rest sometime, so does Anderson, and Broad is unfit anyway ATM. This series seems the best chance to rest them.

The thing is the selectors rate Dernbach, Meaker and Woakes in this format, they're wrong IMHO, but we'll see.

I don't mind England resting players, it is actually a good thing, resting key players regularly means more people play more international cricket, and the new players get accustomed to their roles and strategy needed to win ODI games.
    But I don't like the attitude employed by the English media, and some of the English players on the ODI, I get the impression that if England lose the test series, then the ODI automatically get important, and if they win the test series, ODI series is not really important.
    the conditions may be different, but it doesn't mean England can't use it to prepare for the world cup, they can use this series, to see if people can bat at the death, what is they strategy to defend totals, what field setting are effective, what bowling attack to use? sort out the batting order?
    if England think they can learn all this in Australia and new zealand, then they are living in cuckoo land, in my opinion I think Conditions don't make a difference in ODI, strategy does, most pitches are flat, with limited help for bowlers.

PS Why isn't Alex hales in the ODI team.

most journalist and england commentators are writing this or speaking similar things to this, and I think this is wrong.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/9782596/England-should-not-fret-over-one-day-series-with-India.html
    England haven't got that many ODI in Australia or new zealand, they got 3 in new zealand, 5 in Australia which would be very unimportant since it is straight after the ashes, and then a tri series before the world cup with India and Australia, which would be the only series, I could see England taking ODI seriously.
    but hopefully the new coach would help England plan ODI seriously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because of our ridiculous schedule this year the selectors had no choice but to rest players. After this ODI series we then have back to back series with NZ before Champions Trophy and then back to back Ashes series. Sadly the ODI's are going to bear the brunt of these changes just as we were improving in that format. As bad as India have performed I will be stunned if they lose this series as we've picked too many players who aren't good enough IMHO.
    Forum Member
    Because of our ridiculous schedule this year the selectors had no choice but to rest players. After this ODI series we then have back to back series with NZ before Champions Trophy and then back to back Ashes series. Sadly the ODI's are going to bear the brunt of these changes just as we were improving in that format. As bad as India have performed I will be stunned if they lose this series as we've picked too many players who aren't good enough IMHO.

All team rest players for the odi format, that is nothing new, Australia did it when they won three back to back world cups, India did it when they won the 2011 world cup.
    but I am bit disappointed with the media attitude to the one day format, they pretty much saying they don't care if England lose the one day series because it is in India, I can guarantee that if England lose this series, some players will say it is not a big deal, since the world cup is in Australia or the champions trophy is in England.

this one day series, is a ideal opportunity for the younger, inexperienced players to stake their claim for the world cup, and for England to try out their strategy against the world champions, and it is likely India will be one of the favorites to win the next world cup and the champions trophy.
    last year England attitude to the odi were brilliant, and it showed in their result, England can't go back to the old days, when odi mattered months before a tournament, to win the world cup, the work starts now.

England are only playing 7 odi in Australia or new zealand, that is not enough to prepare for the world cup, I am excluding the tri series, since that is only a month away from the world cup, so every odi from now on, should be seen as important preparation for the world cup, because in the next two years England are not playing that much odi in Australia or new zealand.

they have 2 test series and odi series with new zealand.
    Champions trophy
    2 ashes series, and 2 pointless odi series.
    a one day series with West indies in west indies,
    a test series and odi series with sri lanka
    A test series and odi series with india.
    and for the first time, before the world cup, their won't be no test matches in the winter for england.
    A one day series in sri lanka
    and then the tri series, with australia and india in australia.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    It's not just the media. The cricketing public in Britain largely has the same view. One day and 20/20cricket don't count compared to test matches.
    Forum Member
    Surprising enough there a good article, or images with captions, on the telegraph websites.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/picturegalleries/9789861/India-v-England-five-areas-where-England-must-improve.html?frame=2446759
    five areas where the english team need to improve in odi.
    1. Tactical nous, England must reconsider their strategy. Are four seamers really the way to go in India? In England, yes, but not here. Why was left-arm spinner Danny Briggs not given a warm-up game? I would add to this, they should try to play 3 seam bowler and 2 spinner even in England, most team will use 5 bowler now, with the new rules, meaning part timer bowlers are not practical anymore.

2. Right Balance. Another new regulation allows two bouncers per over. Against India A England bowled too many bouncers. Against Delhi they bowled very few. Neither plan worked!
    if I am remember correctly, neither plans worked in England, in the odi in 2011, the only difference then was India bowling attack was shambles and they lost all games defending totals.

3. Field placement.
    England must get to grips with the new regulation that permits only four fielders outside the circle in non-powerplay overs. That extra boundary option is being exposed too easily at the moment.

4. Early inroads.
    Steven Finn must stand up. And that is not a reference to his falling over after delivery, which has reappeared occasionally here. He must lead the attack, and take early wickets.

5.Patel's role
    england really need Samit Patel to perform. Were he bowling well, he could bowl nearly a full complement and allow England to play an extra batsman

i would only disagree with the last one, with the new rules patel cannot be seen as the 5th bowler, he will bowl too many bad balls, india have stopped using Yuvraj singh because of this reason, yuvraj singh is probably a better bowler than samit patel.

Scyld berry has been writing some articles lately.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/southafrica/9790176/South-Africa-shake-off-choker-tag-and-underline-superiority-in-Test-rankings.html
    but he needs to remember India were number 1 for 18 months,:D south africa, have still got long way to go to beat that.:D
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/9782767/England-will-profit-from-Ashes-overkill-because-of-Australias-green-batting.html
    surprisingly he an't happy with having too many ashes.
    he making good points though especially this one.
    Second, while it may be admissible to bring forward the next Ashes series in Australia from 2014-15 to this winter, to de-link it from the next World Cup, why is there going to be another Ashes series in England in 2015? For this, not the slightest justification exists. England will play 15 Tests against Australia in two years because administrators want to make sure the broadcasters pay their full whack in a recession.
    I will add something else to this, the year before this England have invited india for a 5 test match series, 3 years after there last tour in 2011, and everyone know that India pays the most in term of tours, so that 3 years in a row where ECB are making lots of money.
    Australia, India would have toured england twice before, south Africa and Pakistan tour England next, in 2016 and 2017.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Bhav, you've more or less decided we're going to lose the series as our bowlers bowl too short, we've rested too many players and our media don't give a toss. On that front you'd better hope India win or you're going to eat a lot of humble pie. I have no real expectations for England this series because of our bowling but I hope to be surprised.
    Forum Member
    Well Bhav, you've more or less decided we're going to lose the series as our bowlers bowl too short, we've rested too many players and our media don't give a toss. On that front you'd better hope India win or you're going to eat a lot of humble pie. I have no real expectations for England this series because of our bowling but I hope to be surprised.

well Tel, I don't really care if india lose the ODI series, So I don't mind eating humble pies.:D
    That one beauty of ODI games, You can enjoy a game of cricket without caring if the team wins or not, unlike the test format.:D
    the only ODI Games that are important to indian fans are world cups, champions trophy and India vs Pakistan clashes.
    Forum Member
    http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,12933_8388565,00.html
    Bumble blog is quite funny,
    Resting players for the ODI, isn't new or playing young players in this format, teams have been doing it for years, india did it, australia did it, south Africa did it, Pakistan did it, it seems England have been a bit slow, in this regard.:p

also I can see some ironic quotes from bumble in regard to Faf du Plessis, wasn't it last year when sky boys were questioning why he was in the side, when he and Ravi bopara were going through a horrid run.:D And he didn't get a place in the test team, because of his one day form, he was averaging low 20s before his test debut in one day international, a better example would have been Virat Kohli:D

Bumble remember that the odi grounds are quite small, the rajkot ground is only 25 000 capacity, and reports were saying 45 000 were present in the kolkata, Mumbai test, and the naqpur test had decent crowds.
    Also Dhoni out of form? he averages 200 + in the pakistan series:D

Also, I wouldn't say the bowling looks weak, this bowling attack is probably the strongest attack India ODI sides has had for years, if the indian batting scores runs, I could see the indian bowling attack causing problems, they bowled really well in the recent Pakistan series.

also bumble enjoy using the underdogs mentality now, but it will come and bite you in 2014.
    When India will do the same things, when all the pressure will be on England to whitewash India 5-0.:D
  • Michale PaskowMichale Paskow Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Exactly, didn't Australia use their young players, or odi specialist in the One day format.
    Beven, Damien Fleming, Darren Lehmann, Andrew Symonds, ian Harvey, Nathan Bracken, there were times when australia would trash you in test, make so many changes in the ODI, and still trash you in them.
    even by looking in the indian team, you can see that players are blooded in the odi before they play test matches.
    most of their players were regular in the odi team before they were regular in the test team,
    gambhir,Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Raina, Dhoni, Ashwin, Jadeja.
    then there players that haven't played a test yet, that played odi for india, Rohit Sharma, Rahane, Bhuveshnar Kumar, Shami ahmed, Tiwary.

it is rare these days for players to play their first international game, in a test match, with Root, Compton, Pujara and Cook, being the exceptions.

If my Memory serves me right, didn't pakistan and india usually give couple of their under 19 players that are seen has bright prospect, a slot in the one day team or squad, remember Yuvraj singh and Kaif, winning a game for India in the early 2000.

anyway being a england fan, it is great to see England giving a chance to the young players, finally we can catch up to the rest of the cricketing world by blooding young players in this format, with Huge Potential.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, didn't Australia use their young players, or odi specialist in the One day format.
    Beven, Damien Fleming, Darren Lehmann, Andrew Symonds, ian Harvey, Nathan Bracken, there were times when australia would trash you in test, make so many changes in the ODI, and still trash you in them.
    even by looking in the indian team, you can see that players are blooded in the odi before they play test matches.
    most of their players were regular in the odi team before they were regular in the test team,
    gambhir,Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Raina, Dhoni, Ashwin, Jadeja.
    then there players that haven't played a test yet, that played odi for india, Rohit Sharma, Rahane, Bhuveshnar Kumar, Shami ahmed, Tiwary.

it is rare these days for players to play their first international game, in a test match, with Root, Compton, Pujara and Cook, being the exceptions.

If my Memory serves me right, didn't pakistan and india usually give couple of their under 19 players that are seen has bright prospect, a slot in the one day team or squad, remember Yuvraj singh and Kaif, winning a game for India in the early 2000.

anyway being a england fan, it is great to see England giving a chance to the young players, finally we can catch up to the rest of the cricketing world by blooding young players in this format, with Huge Potential.

I've always argued for different teams based on how good they are at formats, but the problem with these youngsters, is most of them patently aren't any good at it. Root, Dernbach, Meaker, all poor domestic records. Root was debutted in Tests, the other two aren't particulary young or good. Meaker looks a much better Test prospect than ODI though.

You talk about the Aussie different sides, and yes they did, but that wasn't blooding youngsters, it was playing solid pros like Moody, O'Donnell, Reiffel. Who all performed in one-day terms domestically.

I'm not sure why you're using all those Indian players names as examples, has most of them have proved hideous at Tests, or just average. Gambhir didn't play that many ODI's before Tests, and those seemed to set him back.

Play the best at the format, Cook and Finn debuted early in Tests, they've done well, if we put in youngsters it should be ones that look good at the game they debut in.

Buttler should have played many more matches in 50 overs for instance.
    Forum Member

India did in the past, but that was mainly due to Ganguly, being keen on young players, and would regularly watch under 19 and ranji trophy players and would pick players that impresses him.
    Yuvraj singh made his debut in the year 2000, he was 18 when he made his debut. and was regular in the odi team when he was about 21.
    he made 84 on his debut in Kenya.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuausiY8pGY
    virat kohli made his debut when he was 19.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk5uK-JNzwc
    Raina made his debut when he was 19.
    harbhajan singh made his TEST debut when he was 18.

Pakistan again did give their young players with huge potential a chance in the odi format, but ACU will probably know more about this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh yeah, Harby, burnt out by 29 so that worked well:p
    Forum Member

Play the best at the format, Cook and Finn debuted early in Tests, they've done well, if we put in youngsters it should be ones that look good at the game they debut in.

Exactly, see my post above, all the players I mentioned did wonderful in the format their were chosen in.
    Yuvraj was a wonderful ODI players so was kept in that format, but was poor in the test format, so was never chosen in that format.

Raina and Kohli were good players in ODI, so were chosen in that format, Kohli is now trying to make is name in the test format.

Harbhajan singh was good in test, so was chosen in that format.
This discussion has been closed.