1D Videos

PJ RiverPJ River Posts: 1,050
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm not a 1D hater at all but I've come to realize something. I was watching old videos from the Backstreet Boys and Nsync and I thought they were quite cool. I mean when you take the videos for Larger than life or Bye Bye for example they don't look cheap.

For me the problem 1D still has is their videos. They are the biggest band on the planet. I think they can afford some cooler videos. All the haters say they look g**. It's not true of course but it is based on the fact that in their videos they are running on the beach, doing motorcycle together, or jumping in a swimming pool. Those videos look really cheap for a boy band who has that worldwide dimension.

Comments

• _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ River wrote: »
    I'm not a 1D hater at all but I've come to realize something. I was watching old videos from the Backstreet Boys and Nsync and I thought they were quite cool. I mean when you take the videos for Larger than life or Bye Bye for example they don't look cheap.

For me the problem 1D still has is their videos. They are the biggest band on the planet. I think they can afford some cooler videos. All the haters say they look g**. It's not true of course but it is based on the fact that in their videos they are running on the beach, doing motorcycle together, or jumping in a swimming pool. Those videos look really cheap for a boy band who has that worldwide dimension.

I think the problem that 1D have is their music in general. It's standard pop fare with no genuine personality or humour to it. With the exception of their very first single, which was amazing, they have yet to release a song as perfect as Backstreet's Back or I Want It That Way or Bye Bye Bye or It's Gonna Be Me. The videos that accompany them are the same - very safe but carefully orchestrated to present personality, rather than seeing their personality come out naturally. Their team have hit upon a formula that works for them, so they have no incentive to change it up a bit, but the problem with that is that pop music is continually reinventing itself and they need to stay ahead of the tide.

Their team need to start thinking ahead, to the future. They're not going to get away with singing about girls with insecurities and making Monkees-lite videos for the next five years, even. I hope we see a new direction for their next album. Is Max Martin writing for them yet? I mean, genuinely writing songs intended for them, not just giving them the stuff he churns out on a more generic basis? They massively need to get him involved if not.
  • PJ RiverPJ River Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I totally agree with you. It's hard for other artists to take 1D seriously. When Mumford and sons said "We are grateful because in our category there was Muse and... 1D" they started laughing. I mean it's time for 1D to grow up and give a better production. They are the biggest band in the world for god's sake.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    The OWOA video was made purely by the boys so CR Didn't have to pay for an expensive video
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That really annoyed me when Mumfords did that. But this is what some 1D fans don't understand; people wouldn't necessarily criticise them if the music was better. I am the furthest thing you would ever find from a music snob but I do think that pop music should be amazing when it's being sold at the level 1D are selling it, and I just don't think their songs measure up. I Want It That Way is still recognised as one of the greatest boyband songs of all time, and that was released, what, almost 15 years ago? 1D themselves might leave that legacy 15 years from now, as a band, but is the music itself going to make the grade? I just want them to be better. It's not a criticism as much as an observation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you are number 1 in the world, you are expected to produce number one stuff : space, aliens invading earth, car chase, deeper lyrics, them playing fantastic characters in their videos, etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pothuthic wrote: »
    The OWOA video was made purely by the boys so CR Didn't have to pay for an expensive video

A video doesn't necessarily have to expensive to be effective. I know that's what PJ was saying in his OP but there are ways to make a cute, funny video on a tiny budget. Still on the Backstreet Boy's theme but this is a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDvRs3SceGo

I'd love to see 1D get creative like that. :)
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    A video doesn't necessarily have to expensive to be effective. I know that's what PJ was saying in his OP but there are ways to make a cute, funny video on a tiny budget. Still on the Backstreet Boy's theme but this is a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDvRs3SceGo

I'd love to see 1D get creative like that. :)

that's right. I'd like to see a return to budget videos like this one - which also includes the best dance routine of all time. 1D need to learn the difference between humour and larking about like *****..;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLOyF50wlBU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I love BSB they are the ultimate boy band. I still do think 1D needs an expensive video just to show they can do something else rather than running on the beach like 5 little puppies.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like their videos because they are tongue in cheek... The one I liked least was the Gotta be You which was blander than the rest...

I guess music videos are a matter of taste, but when I think about great music videos, Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend or Blink 182's All the small things also come to mind... In spirit fun videos with people not taking themselves too seriously.

Backstreet boys' I want it that way is the kind of video that I thought was a bit "too much" and serious when it came out, I don't know why. I agree that the song is great though.
    A great Backstreet boy's video would be "everybody" to me, though you can feel a Thriller inspiration, it's still awsome (along with the song).

Maybe 1D could add some production value, but it needs to go with the song. Hopefully with the next album. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I love BSB they are the ultimate boy band. I still do think 1D needs an expensive video just to show they can do something else rather than running on the beach like 5 little puppies.

I laughed at that description. :D It's true, though. Videos used to be a real event when I was younger. I don't think it helps now that a lot of artists can barely be bothered with them, and sometimes even release them after the single has been released (something that would literally have been unheard of 10 years ago.) Pop bands especially treated them as a golden opportunity to get their personality and humour across. I get that 1D like to spend time doing 'zany' things against a generic backdrop, but I'd love to see them do some songs and videos with proper stories to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    I like their videos because they are tongue in cheek... The one I liked least was the Gotta be You which was blander than the rest...

I guess music videos are a matter of taste, but when I think about great music videos, Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend or Blink 182's All the small things also come to mind... In spirit fun videos with people not taking themselves too seriously.

Backstreet boys' I want it that way is the kind of video that I thought was a bit "too much" and serious when it came out, I don't know why. I agree that the song is great though.
    A great Backstreet boy's video would be "everybody" to me, though you can feel a Thriller inspiration, it's still awsome (along with the song).

Maybe 1D could add some production value, but it needs to go with the song. Hopefully with the next album. :)

All The Small Things was an absolute CLASSIC. Loved that video. :D And yes, Backstreet's Back was definitely BSB's finest hour when it came to music videos. But I also loved As Long As You Love Me (a really cute, simple idea) and Larger Than Life.

It would be great if 1D could bring out a video that make people sit up and take notice, like Backstreet's Back. I think that a lot of people started to see them in a different light after that video. 1D need a game-changer like that. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off Topic but in my mind for a long time : I hope Little Mix can do their own version of All the small things parodying girl bands (saturday's Up, Stooshe's Black Heart, Girls Aloud's The Promise, Spice Girls Spice up your Life, All Saints Never Ever, etc...)

Larger than Life is an epic video so is Backstreet's back. I'm sure with all the money 1D generates, they can pull it off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally understand this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASLmyOaIIlQ
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will all come in it's own time. boys are getting better as seen live last night-- mark my word "more perfect" songs and videos are on the horizon.:cool:

personally, as a fan, i still enjoy the boys' videos and it's doubly fun to know there's so much room for improvement!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean there's so much money for improvement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at least no one can moan then that so much money was spent on a 1D music video?
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    it will all come in it's own time. boys are getting better as seen live last night-- mark my word "more perfect" songs and videos are on the horizon.:cool:

personally, as a fan, i still enjoy the boys' videos and it's doubly fun to know there's so much room for improvement!! :D

They are getting better live, especially Harry, he seems to have got over his nerves that affected him on red or black. However, the set for the performance was the same as XF they need new ideas. (not their fault their team). OWOA was also the perfect opportunity for them to have a video of fans chasing them as the lyrics are im gonna get ya, the performance on red or black with the video before hand and the packed stage would have been perfect for last night, sometimes their staging is a bit boring with the 5 of them wondering round, they could at least have backing dancers or something, even if they dont dance themself.

I agree its better if videos have an interesting story to draw you in, pinks videos are good. However I can see why 1D have the videos they do, it gives fans the chance to make stupid gifs etc.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »
    OWOA was also the perfect opportunity for them to have a video of fans chasing them as the lyrics are im gonna get ya,

I agree that theme-wise, it could have been quite appropriate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be honest, a video with a story needs to be eased back in... very, very carefully, lolz!!:eek:

with their first 2 vids (WMYB, GBY), that's the path they were heading but there was a great backlash with using a "girl" as a love interest... so they resorted to just the boys with "One Thing" and fans were happier with just their five "idiots" and no "love interest" in sight...;)
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gosh is that them getting better. I'd hate to see them on a bad day. Out of tune singing, skipping and shouting out to the audience does not make a good performance. They are a product not a singing group. No need to spend money on videos when their buying public will lap up any old crap they serve up.They've done all that touring and are no better than when they were on X Factor. They just haven't got the basic talent to build upon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing wrote: »
    Gosh is that them getting better. I'd hate to see them on a bad day. Out of tune singing, skipping and shouting out to the audience does not make a good performance. They are a product not a singing group. No need to spend money on videos when their buying public will lap up any old crap they serve up.They've done all that touring and are no better than when they were on X Factor. They just haven't got the basic talent to build upon.

lolz!! fair enough... that's your opinion.:sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    I agree that theme-wise, it could have been quite appropriate!

can i even attempt at explaining the relationship within the fandom, between 1D and their directioners?

OWOA is a bullseye shot to the hearts of directioners. they feel it's about them, their stalking ways with regards to their five boys. for them, OWOA is the boys doing that proverbial *wink wink*;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing wrote: »

That's a bit harsh. They were not out of tune or shouting. They did a good performance even though it's not a difficult song to sing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can i even attempt at explaining the relationship within the fandom, between 1D and their directioners?

OWOA is a bullseye shot to the hearts of directioners. they feel it's about them, their stalking ways with regards to their five boys. for them, OWOA is the boys doing that proverbial *wink wink*;)

and the vid accompanying it is just perfect!!:D;)
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I totally agree with you. It's hard for other artists to take 1D seriously. When Mumford and sons said "We are grateful because in our category there was Muse and... 1D" they started laughing. I mean it's time for 1D to grow up and give a better production. They are the biggest band in the world for god's sake.

Such tosh!
    Mumford and sons said they weren't expecting to win the award because they felt they had strong competition, I didn't see any laughing, but if you lot want to make it out to be something else, then feel free.

Their album Take Me Home in my opinion is probably one of the best albums to be released last year, with great pop songs, not pretentious. They understand their target market and that is one of the reasons for their success.

They have achieved what no other X factor contestant has achieved (yes!, I said it) and it's about time people start accepting their success, you don't have to like them, just accept it.