Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Comments

• redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched first episode of series one really enjoyed it although I do think it will take a few episodes to get use to the subtitles :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Three minutes about the success of Borgen in the UK on DR's main news bulletin on Friday, mostly in English...

http://www.dr.dk/tv/se/tv-avisen/tv-avisen-266#!/13:47
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three minutes about the success of Borgen in the UK on DR's main news bulletin on Friday, mostly in English...

Thanks for that, very interesting. The danes have some good looking male news readers ;)
  • ChrissyanChrissyan Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Another Jo Nesbo thriller has made it to our screens. Jackpot available on DVD. It stars Kyrre Hellum who played Geir Elvis in Lilyhammer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nesbos-JACKP.../dp/B009VHUD2I

Just received it from LoveFilm so will report back on it. Some people are saying it's better than Headhunters.

barnsleykeith I have bought it for £7.99 :D

from here :cool:

Thanks for the tip off about Above the Street Below Water a must see I think :)
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when the first series of this was publicised on BBC4 and thinking that it was a series too far for me after The Killing and er, it related to politics (wheres my preference is for crime!). I am so glad I talked myself out of not recording it. My ritual is to watch them back to back but always on a Sunday! A very well acted, high class and gripping series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all. I'm here early so don't have to endure Splash :D

Here's a screencap to keep you amused.

bl_zps25604620.png
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember when the first series of this was publicised on BBC4 and thinking that it was a series too far for me after The Killing and er, it related to politics (wheres my preference is for crime!). I am so glad I talked myself out of not recording it. My ritual is to watch them back to back but always on a Sunday! A very well acted, high class and gripping series.

To be fair, each series of The Killing had a fair-sized amount of politics in it

BTW, just started a thread about the Anglo-French remake of The Bridge

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1783371
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, but when is Braquo coming back!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An episode about a weak Labour party leader. I wonder where they get their ideas from?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    An episode about a weak Labour party leader. I wonder where they get their ideas from?

Labour infighting, politicans with rent boys, Labour leadership made up completely of professional politicians distancing itself from its working roots? All sounds so far fetched :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birgitte rocking some leather trousers tonight :cool:

Oh Kasper you are such a liar :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birgette there are bad ideas and there are really really really bad ideas. That was even worse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh my they were a depressing couple of episodes. Great stuff though.

I love reading the Guardian blogs after too :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jan/12/borgen-series-two-episodes-three-four
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The intro is very BBC News-esque, so it seems like a fair cultural transfer :D

Great episodes as usual! I like how they save a Machiavelli quote for the particularly Machiavellian episodes...

Also, I just like the way the Danes say Hoxenhaven (or however you spell it...).
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just shows it's true that every political career ends in failure...

I just love Sidse Babett Knudsen more and more. Philip is a fool! She won't be stadtsminister for ever. Couldn't he wait?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant episode tonite (the Machiavelli episode)!!! I actually like Laugersen.

Birgitte with the driver....oh dear.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was getting annoyed but Hanne and Katrine in the second half. The story was about the Hox's double life, lying and a dose of revenge about Laugesen's downfall. But they had to play the homosexual angle. It was nothing about his sexuality. As Birgitte pointed out if he had come out no-one would have cared. A little bit too much right-on PC for me. Let's not forget the Hox orchestrated his leader's downfall.

Also I am a man who isn't the most sensitive and I don't always pick up on women's little signals but even I could spot that Birgitte didn't want to meet his new girlfriend.

Still complusive viewing though.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Also, I just like the way the Danes say Hoxenhaven (or however you spell it...).

Me too - I try imitating it. And they sometimes call him Hox. :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic stuff. Who would have guessed that a subtitled drama about Danish coalition politics would be unmissable Saturday night TV?

I can't blame the driver. I'd find a Birgitte very hard to resist. A true PMILF ;)
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »

The comments are even more interesting than the blog. That's where I've learnt lots about the Danish language and culture from the contributing Danes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Lagerhausen return to an active role in the Labour party? They will be in disarray after losing two leaders in the space of a few days, could be an opportunity for him to step back into the limelight.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff. Who would have guessed that a subtitled drama about Danish coalition politics would be unmissable Saturday night TV?

I can't blame the driver. I'd find a Birgitte very hard to resist. A true PMILF ;)

LOL at the PMILF! :D

This is easily the best drama airing on British right now. Which says quite a lot about British television drama ... :rolleyes:;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching this on catchup, and the end credits seemed to say it is based on political characters from 1982. Is that right or have I misread the credits/disclaimer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Fantastic couple of episodes last night. Some really unexpected twists.

The ( first) Foreign Minister was just like John Prescott . A supposedly uncouth working class trade unionist, the only person in his party who had done a proper job .. Love that black tie joke they played on him.. Everything is so similar to the UKs politics .
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Borgen was back on form after a rather lame opening to series 2. Laugesen is a great baddie. They seem to be building up the defence minister so maybe he will take over as Labour leader.