What happened to Russ Abbot?

Comments

• EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he suffered a heart attack at some point. He appeared on Harry Hill's TV Burp at some stage in the last couple of years sending himself up about it.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,240
    Forum Member
    I'm sure he's doing fine.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember him being in sarah jane and know he does do a lot of stage work which is good for him but not me,all this cowell shite or dancing on shite! I enjoyed his show with his different characters and I reckon my children would too. Maybe its an age thing that itv dont like/or a kiss cowells arse channel. Has russ abbot ever said why hes not on t.v as much.?
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember him being in sarah jane and know he does do a lot of stage work which is good for him but not me,all this cowell shite or dancing on shite! I enjoyed his show with his different characters and I reckon my children would too. Maybe its an age thing that itv dont like/or a kiss cowells arse channel. Has russ abbot ever said why hes not on t.v as much.?

I'd imagine he's not on TV as much because he's considered a bit "passed it", and his act is seen as old fashioned now. But your right though , ITV is basically an extension of Simon Cowell's bottom these days.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I can't see how though. He doesn't do 'his act' anymore. He's basically a 'serious' actor these days.
    I know some of his roles may have been more lighthearted but it's acting in tv shows and not sketch comedy.

I do wonder why the likes of him and Dennis haven't transferred to other roles. There are plenty of others who have gone from the light entertainment route into drama.
  • HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    My husband is some kind of distant relation to him....think some kind of distant cousin or other!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I saw him on tv burp when him and harry hill were messing about doing fake heart attacks.
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I can't see how though. He doesn't do 'his act' anymore. He's basically a 'serious' actor these days.
    I know some of his roles may have been more lighthearted but it's acting in tv shows and not sketch comedy.

I do wonder why the likes of him and Dennis haven't transferred to other roles. There are plenty of others who have gone from the light entertainment route into drama.
    I get what you mean he has progressed into the odd bit of drama,just seemed as a kid he was there at the height of his popularity and
    then gone.:-( On a saturday night these days im forever relying on d.v.ds.!
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved his gift for word play, I had forgotten how funny he was.....Like so many good comedians he is a very good straight actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Thanks Verence.

Ahhhh the good old days!
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw him on stage in london years ago,he gave a very good show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    I loved his gift for word play, I had forgotten how funny he was.....Like so many good comedians he is a very good straight actor.

Comedy is acting though - even stand-up - the comedian, a lot of the time is being someone they aren't.

They understand timing and pacing can remember lines etc hence will make good straight actors.
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love the Russ Abbot show when I was a kid. Didn't Sherrie Hewson star in the show quite a bit?

I remember he used to do a funny Scottish bloke a lot that no-one could understand. In one sketch he applied for a job as a train station announcer and in the interview no -one could understand a word so they said "excellent you are just what we are looking for, you've got the job"

Probably a lot of politically incorrect stuff now but I liked it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Don't remember that but do remember "see you Jimmy!" with all the Scottish stereotypes :D
  • DaveNightingaleDaveNightingale Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    People forget that Russ was the drummer for the Black Abbotts before making it solo.

Here's a sketch where he shows his own talent against that of a man with many,the late Roy Castle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpo-8B4IW4Q
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    People forget that Russ was the drummer for the Black Abbotts before making it solo.

Here's a sketch where he shows his own talent against that of a man with many,the late Roy Castle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpo-8B4IW4Q

i remember him.. he was good in the old days
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris1978 wrote: »
    I used to love the Russ Abbot show when I was a kid. Didn't Sherrie Hewson star in the show quite a bit?

I remember he used to do a funny Scottish bloke a lot that no-one could understand. In one sketch he applied for a job as a train station announcer and in the interview no -one could understand a word so they said "excellent you are just what we are looking for, you've got the job"

It probably would be politically incorrect now, but to be honest most comedies and comedians from the past are. I've seen old episodes of Only Fools and Horses that tread on dodgy ground and would not doubt offend some people. Times have changed, and I'm not sure if its for the best.
  • MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jimmy McJimmy (of Invercockaleekie Castle) was the character.

Here's a clip of Jimmy, politically incorrect in a way Russ could never have imagined! :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQdSuQt0iM
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    C U Jimmy & his 'hit' Atmosphere are all I remember about him.

I doubt he'd be that funny now though!

He appeared on Harry Hill show last year and was very funny. :D
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy McJimmy (of Invercockaleekie Castle) was the character.

Here's a clip of Jimmy, politically incorrect in a way Russ could never have imagined! :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQdSuQt0iM

Ha brilliant!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh yeah, definitely. It's too 'going with the flow' to be 100% suitable these days, which is a shame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I now have his song Atmospher going round my head. I don't think we will ever see TV like his show anymore. I spend friday & saturday nights trawling through channels for something good. Yes I've watched some of the reality programmes but I'm so fed up with instant reality celebs! People like Russ Abbot came to entertainment through the clubs & pubs & learnt their art. Instant celebs are just faces stuffed on our screens with hardly any talent. I didn't want to watch CBB but i ended up watching bits of it & what was interesting was that the instant celebs seemed to swear & scream where as the others were not so foul.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't see why his humour would not stand up today, and if it didn't it can change. Read a biography of Morecombe and Wise to see how they changed over the years, they did not start off as a pair of idiots. Or look at Frankie Howard, went out of fashion but came back big three times.

It's quite possible he is comfortably off and doesn't feel the desperate need to be top of the bill, they way some stars do. Plenty of stars take their foot off the accelerator after 5 years of headlines and go into semi-retirement doing things they enjoy instead of a constant round of provincial theatres, bland hotel rooms and 1,000 miles a week travelling.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samwalk wrote: »
    It's quite possible he is comfortably off and doesn't feel the desperate need to be top of the bill, they way some stars do. Plenty of stars take their foot off the accelerator after 5 years of headlines and go into semi-retirement doing things they enjoy instead of a constant round of provincial theatres, bland hotel rooms and 1,000 miles a week travelling.

At the last count, he was living in the vicinity of Wentworth golf course in Surrey - aka "Millionaires Row" - close to the likes of Bruce Forsyth.