What does 'smart casual' mean?

the albionthe albion Posts: 506
Forum Member
✭✭
I am attending an event with the dress code being 'smart casual'. What exactly does this mean? 'Smart' I think of shirt/tie/suit. 'Casual' i think of jeans and t shirt. What would people advise?

Comments

• DaznvernDaznvern Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Not formal wear, but every day wears. But smart not chav sportswear.

Shoes, Nice jeans, Nice modern polo should do the trick or smart modern jumper.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    IMO, 'Smart Casual' would mean a casual pear of trousers or a smart pair of jeans, and a shirt but no tie, and then a casual coat but definately no trainers!!
  • edwinbotedwinbot Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Shirt with a collar and non ripped/damaged trousers and you will be fine.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirt no tie or polo top (smart, no logos), jumper if required, no sweat shirts or hoodies, etc. Either trousers or smart jeans (plain black or blue) and smart shows, no trainers.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to me, it means not jeans.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I wear a nice pair of jeans with a nice top and some nice heels if I go out smart casual. No ripped jeans, trainers, hoodies. But it all depends on where you are going and what you will be doing.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    I would say a shirt without a tie and black trousers not jeans
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends a lot on the event? I went on a training course recently which was smart casual. When I got there, everyone was definitely more smart then casual.
    I'd agree with the shirt definitely and either smart jeans or other trousers and smartish shoes.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to me, it means not jeans.

Me too , that would be my thoughts on smart casual .Jeans are casual .
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    But there are smarter jeans than others, hence smart casual :)
  • occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    dodgygeeza wrote: »
    But there are smarter jeans than others, hence smart casual :)
    Maybe jeans are "casual smart"? :)
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would play safe and say not denim, but depends what sort of event we're talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the problem, it's really open to interpretation, isn't it?

I'll wear jeans with heels and a smart top sometimes and feel smart enough.

What is the event OP?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Though you can get smart jeans which though are denim, depending on the do, I would consider these as smart casual,

http://www.clothingattesco.com/jeans/f+f-twill-jeans/invt/eg121002/?htxt=mM4g85UcY6rNzG6GPbrdfV1mcx6eD4pbM5UuvoW00OmCdpbBC7ylsubOArjty0R%2FiQkj73r1puj7%0AVfOQjuZlXQ%3D%3D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    It means don't turn up looking scruffy. Turn up wearing something smart (not jeans) but that you feel totally comfortable in! Basically.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    No jeans, t-shirt or trainers. Nothing ripped or stained.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I would say smart Jeans / t shirts / trainers are fine. Not that many t shirt would qualify as smart, but a few would though.

Just wear nothing scruffy, ripped or with with large logos or "funny" slogans and you will be fine

Personally would wear a shirt, smart jeans and my smart trainers which look quite shoe-esk
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would wear black trousers and a nice top. The way I look at it: something too casual to go for a job interview in, but too smart to go down the local pub for a pint.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I wear a nice pair of jeans with a nice top and some nice heels if I go out smart casual. No ripped jeans, trainers, hoodies. But it all depends on where you are going and what you will be doing.

That's certainly how I interpret it, and the people I work for have a similar view, although they'd prefer some other form of trousers (Chinos or similar) rather than jeans. If jeans, I'd wear dark-coloured bootcut, not too tight.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Hubby is at a sportmans dinner on Friday which is smart casual - he's wearing some well cut jeans (as opposed to saggy arsed ones!!) with a smart shirt and shoes. Thats my take on 'smart casual'.
  • the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the_melon wrote: »
    This is the problem, it's really open to interpretation, isn't it?

I'll wear jeans with heels and a smart top sometimes and feel smart enough.

What is the event OP?

The event is a sports presentation dinner.

The only dilemma I have now is shirt tucked or untucked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinos would be good with maybe a blazer/hacking jacket of some kind and no tie? just my op

ETA: No trainers
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would depend on the type of event.

If it is a work event and they usually don't allow/like you wearing jeans at work, don't wear jeans whether they are smarter jeans or not.

To play it safe I would say no denim.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    You could wear a suit and see what everyone else is wearing, then you could always take off the jacket and/or tie, if you feel too smart.