Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    As to Ben Bolt, is he completely gone from S6? I went back and checked and he directed 6 of 8 episodes of series 2, 4 and 5.

Yes - according to hot industry goss, people on site, clapboards and people who have talked to the crew.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've kind of found another of the mystery locations. I haven't pinpointed it exactly, but I know approximately where it is. When Martin drives up to the pub where Louisa will give birth you can see a jagged mountaintop in the background. I know I have noticed this mountaintop before in some of the scenes on Bodmin Moor. I was exploring the other day and spotted it. It is just east of Camelford.

I haven't yet found the actual group of buildings, but I will keep looking. I suspect it is a small farm and the building on the right that is supposed to be the pub is the farmhouse. So it is probably down an unmapped lane and I will probably never get a street view. Of course, poorrichard just gave us a treasure trove of interior pictures from the pub where the interior scenes were shot - The Old Inn in St Breward.

Here is what I have found for this exterior location:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/8716295040/in/set-72157632883499538
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I've kind of found another of the mystery locations. I haven't pinpointed it exactly, but I know approximately where it is. When Martin drives up to the pub where Louisa will give birth you can see a jagged mountaintop in the background. I know I have noticed this mountaintop before in some of the scenes on Bodmin Moor. I was exploring the other day and spotted it. It is just east of Camelford.

I haven't yet found the actual group of buildings, but I will keep looking. I suspect it is a small farm and the building on the right that is supposed to be the pub is the farmhouse. So it is probably down an unmapped lane and I will probably never get a street view. Of course, poorrichard just gave us a treasure trove of interior pictures from the pub where the interior scenes were shot - The Old Inn in St Breward.

That jagged hilltop has a name. Locals lovingly refer to it as "Brown Willie." It has been the site of prehistoric settlement (according to Betjeman) and, in modern times, ritual witchcraft (according to the witchcraft museum in Boscastle). "The moor" (hear it in Wallace Flint's tone of voice, or with twang of banjo as in "the Portwenn Effect") is indeed a strange and atmospheric place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wish we could just issue a shout-out to everyone in Cornwall and someone would tell us/you about this location.

Unfortunately, it seems that Pauline is the only person in the world who knows where this particular Coach and Four is located.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That jagged hilltop has a name. Locals lovingly refer to it as "Brown Willie." It has been the site of prehistoric settlement (according to Betjeman) and, in modern times, ritual witchcraft (according to the witchcraft museum in Boscastle). "The moor" (hear it in Wallace Flint's tone of voice, or with twang of banjo as in "the Portwenn Effect") is indeed a strange and atmospheric place.

Cool info - thanks poorrichard!
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    You know this is exactly how just about everyone I know in Australia who used to watch DM feels. Not so much the wedding that wasn't but the dramatic and unnecessarily harsh change in DMs personality. The persevered through s4 but thought s5 was just dark and they expect the whole thing will end stupidly, just like William and Mary, and aren't prepared to invest too much time or personal angst in the build up to the new series in case this happens.

Maybe most Americans who have watched s1-4 straight through without waiting the 2 years between each series haven't felt the angst and disappointment so acutely.

I really feel, sadly, thst MC taking over absolute control has diminished the final product. I know this is heresy. :rolleyes:

Well, that is interesting because I see LG as the huge problem in S4, not DM! I mean, whose personality changes over that season from the last season! LG is not open, helpful, amiable--she is defensive, delusional (I can be a single mom with no problem at all), spiteful, non-communicative, and deliberately hurtful. She sets the entire tone from the moment she arrives, and DM is more reactive to her decisions and the hurt it brings him, than creating their interpersonal bickering. Not that he isn't problematic, too, mind you, of course he is, but he is following LG's lead.

I think that was one thing that sadly upset some of the UK folks--that some Americans, like me, for example, came on the Forum and refused to see LG as Miss Mary Sunshine, perfect in all ways, and DM as the Big Bad Wolf, as it seemed may been the case a little bit beforehand.

It's not anyone's fault about the population change on the Forum. It's not the Americans' fault if we perhaps analyze things deeper and saw new ways at looking at the characters, nor the UK folks' fault, if they disliked that change, if that was a cause.

All views and opinions have been very helpful for me to expand my understanding of the show, and its multiple layers.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is called blackmail. The farmer has BP over a barrell, now that the lease will soon be up, because all of the interior sets have been built inside the barn. They'd have to weigh up the cost of moving them. It might just be the final straw that decides if they continue on with another series. Personally no matter what the cost I wouldn't submit to blackmail. :(

Sorry, cc.cookie, just can't agree it's blackmail. It is business. The farmer is in business--may even need the barn again. BP is in business--they know things change and have had to negotiate any number of arrangements for filming. And renegotiate prices for various things as the years and inflation go by.
    And sets are often built in easily moveable pieces so things can be rearranged as needed. Or moved if necessary. I doubt losing the barn would be a deal breaker for BP. But just my guess, needless to say.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, that is interesting because I see LG as the huge problem in S4, not DM! I mean, whose personality changes over that season from the last season! LG is not open, helpful, amiable--she is defensive, delusional (I can be a single mom with no problem at all), spiteful, non-communicative, and deliberately hurtful. She sets the entire tone from the moment she arrives, and DM is more reactive to her decisions and the hurt it brings him, than creating their interpersonal bickering. Not that he isn't problematic, too, mind you, of course he is, but he is following LG's lead.

I think that was one thing that sadly upset some of the UK folks--that some Americans, like me, for example, came on the Forum and refused to see LG as Miss Mary Sunshine, perfect in all ways, and DM as the Big Bad Wolf, as it seemed may been the case a little bit beforehand.

It's not anyone's fault about the population change on the Forum. It's not the Americans' fault if we perhaps analyze things deeper and saw new ways at looking at the characters, nor the UK folks' fault, if they disliked that change, if that was a cause.

All views and opinions have been very helpful for me to expand my understanding of the show, and its multiple layers.

Well said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, cc.cookie, just can't agree it's blackmail. It is business. The farmer is in business--may even need the barn again. BP is in business--they know things change and have had to negotiate any number of arrangements for filming. And renegotiate prices for various things as the years and inflation go by.
    And sets are often built in easily moveable pieces so things can be rearranged as needed. Or moved if necessary. I doubt losing the barn would be a deal breaker for BP. But just my guess, needless to say.

Yes it is business if the rate goes up by a sensible amount.

Of course!!! I can't find the original post but it was someone who lives in PI who said that the rent was set to rise after the current rental had expired by some phenomenal amount.

Even if it goes up by a phenomenal amount I guess it is still "business" either party can agree not to proceed. :)

Manly council had the Australian Beach Volley Ball competition on their beach for years and years. One year they increased the beach rental that they were charging by 3 times the amount. The Australian Beach Volley Ball Competition organisers decided to move the competition to the Gold Coast where the beach fees were half the amount they were paying the year before the rent went up by 3 times. They have remained there ever since and are pleased that they can provide a better competition with the money that they have saved on rental.
    Manly council have missed out on a massive tourist attraction and other side benefits by being too greedy.

But we don't know the details - the barn owners might want the barn back for their own use so they have put up the rate to a level that they are prepared to accept but they really want the use of the barn back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

Yes and it wasn't until I read your views on LG and re-watched s4 and s5 that I saw LG's snippiness. :)

There could be any number of reasons why people have dropped out but I bet as "showtime" gets closer there will be more and more people (from UK and elsewhere) returning to the forum for more healthy discussion. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People, people: Let's not set up a Brit vs. American thing here. Or next you know, we'll have to take on Australia, and after that who knows what other country might pop up ! QUOTE]

Hi

Can anyone see/hear me out there ?

I am one Brit waving and dusting off the Welcome mat !

Did no-one read my earlier post ?

I LOVE this forum with all its international meeting of minds

Variety is the spice of life :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to sound too stalker-ish :eek:, but I was looking at those twitter feeds this morning and did a little digging. The guy who said he saw MC in Yates apparently was in Worksop (way up north near Manchester). I checked the Yates website and they have a location in Worksop. The woman who tweeted that she saw him on the train tweeted this on Friday morning (or would it have been afternoon their time - it shows at 9:15 AM but I don't know what time zone that would be). Anyway, she was on her way home from London - she is apparently a huge superfan of Benedict Cumberbatch and had gone to the red carpet for Star Treck and had also attended Graham Norton's show where he appeared. Anyway, she was on her way home but I couldn't get any clue where she actually lives.

So, maybe he took the train up north for some reason for the Bank Holiday weekend?

Sorry

But I think this original tweet was a joke...

Just doesn't add up for me :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    People, people: Let's not set up a Brit vs. American thing here. Or next you know, we'll have to take on Australia, and after that who knows what other country might pop up ! QUOTE]

Hi

Can anyone see/hear me out there ?

I am one Brit waving and dusting off the Welcome mat !

Did no-one read my earlier post ?

I LOVE this forum with all its international meeting of minds

Variety is the spice of life :)

Hello, Hello, Hello, Blue eyes. Receiving you loud and clear! :):):)
    There are a few others too, still around. We love you all. :)
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Yes it is business if the rate goes up by a sensible amount.

Of course!!! I can't find the original post but it was someone who lives in PI who said that the rent was set to rise after the current rental had expired by some phenomenal amount.

Even if it goes up by a phenomenal amount I guess it is still "business" either party can agree not to proceed. :)

Manly council had the Australian Beach Volley Ball competition on their beach for years and years. One year they increased the beach rental that they were charging by 3 times the amount. The Australian Beach Volley Ball Competition organisers decided to move the competition to the Gold Coast where the beach fees were half the amount they were paying the year before the rent went up by 3 times. They have remained there ever since and are pleased that they can provide a better competition with the money that they have saved on rental.
    Manly council have missed out on a massive tourist attraction and other side benefits by being too greedy.

But we don't know the details - the barn owners might want the barn back for their own use so they have put up the rate to a level that they are prepared to accept but they really want the use of the barn back.

It was me. From what I got from chatting with locals in the pub was that the lease was set to expire at the end of the year. The owners of the farm asked for a big increase based on the popularity of the show. (Some of the farmers thought it was silly as "he's been without the thing for 7 years already"). There may also be an issue with the farm's tax bill since the building is no longer being used for agriculture. I would assume that any increase would be pushed to BP as well.

Apparently the budget of the show is tight and relatively low, mostly since the same cast and crew keep coming down and most of the guest stars are friends of the regulars. So, if you add the increase in the lease, plus the fact that PI keeps putting the crunch for more money for exterior filming and add that MC might be ready to move on to other things......

That being said, I still hold out hope.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Sorry

But I think this original tweet was a joke...

Just doesn't add up for me :confused:

I agree with you. The idea of Martin Clunes prancing around a dance floor in a onesie is just not plausible. Not to say incongruous. I could buy him heading up north over a long weekend for some equine-related reason but out on a dance floor in a get-up suitable only for 20-somethings, if at all, and without Philippa -- no, doesn't make sense.

But I have been clanglingly wrong before and anything is possible, I suppose....

And thanks for your welcome, Blue-Eyes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone. I'm from the UK and I enjoy the analytical posts. I makes me see things in a new light. Anywho I have been doing some sleuthing and they are filming again today. Some bloke from Twitter said they crowds are blocking out the sunlight entering the Old School restaurant. They are filming at the chippy today, as per the filming sheet posted weeks ago. and here is a piccy from Twitter...

https://twitter.com/alexhughes0/status/331735077081989120/photo/1

I shall do my detective rounds again tonight to see if anything has surfaced from today's filming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. I'm from the UK and I enjoy the analytical posts. I makes me see things in a new light. Anywho I have been doing some sleuthing and they are filming again today. Some bloke from Twitter said they crowds are blocking out the sunlight entering the Old School restaurant. They are filming at the chippy today, as per the filming sheet posted weeks ago. and here is a piccy from Twitter...

I shall do my detective rounds again tonight to see if anything has surfaced from today's filming.

Thanks for the pic.

One question: are pointy-toed shoes actually still in fashion? They look awfully uncomfortable.

someone posted a picture on the FB page Martin Clunes Doc Martin Fan Group of a "baby" MC, looking about 20, and he seems to be wearing the very same wristwatch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually having second thoughts about this. Large crowds are unappealing to me, especially if the likelihood of seeing any filming (late June) is small. I'm wondering if we wouldn't be better off to stay in Port Gaverne and dip into Port Isaac for a few hours just to say we were there and look at other areas of Cornwall for a couple of days (Tintagel, etc.)

I get the impression from some of your posts that one can barely move through the streets for all the people around. Is this actually the way it is?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I went to see filming for Series 5, and the crowds were big. But this year they seem to be huge. I am heading down to Cornwall next week for my son's 1st birthday. I was planning on going into PI early one day mid week. That way I guess there might be less crowds, as people will be in work/school and only a few will be there early on a Monday. If I see filming then I see it, if I don't then that's fine. I might just go to catch a glimpse then move on -instead of being there all day watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks! Leannethemouse, what's a "chippy"?

I see that the same person who posted the twitter photo of MC with the basset hound followed up with another photo. Very cute. Here's the link:

https://twitter.com/alexhughes0/status/331735458675585024/photo/1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to sound too stalker-ish :eek:, but I was looking at those twitter feeds this morning and did a little digging. The guy who said he saw MC in Yates apparently was in Worksop (way up north near Manchester). I checked the Yates website and they have a location in Worksop. The woman who tweeted that she saw him on the train tweeted this on Friday morning (or would it have been afternoon their time - it shows at 9:15 AM but I don't know what time zone that would be). Anyway, she was on her way home from London - she is apparently a huge superfan of Benedict Cumberbatch and had gone to the red carpet for Star Treck and had also attended Graham Norton's show where he appeared. Anyway, she was on her way home but I couldn't get any clue where she actually lives.

So, maybe he took the train up north for some reason for the Bank Holiday weekend?

Another appearance on Graham Norton? Has this aired yet? I wonder if there's a gap between when Graham Norton's shows are aired in the UK and when we see them on BBC America. Can anyone fill me in? PLEASE don't tell me MC just appeared on Graham Norton and it's already aired on BBC America and I missed it :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Another appearance on Graham Norton? Has this aired yet? I wonder if there's a gap between when Graham Norton's shows are aired in the UK and when we see them on BBC America. Can anyone fill me in? PLEASE don't tell me MC just appeared on Graham Norton and it's already aired on BBC America and I missed it :mad:

Graham Norton has been moved to Thursday night on BBC America and I regularly see the promos for his show -- (Orphan Black is on BBC America) and so far no mention of Martin Clunes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is called blackmail. The farmer has BP over a barrell, now that the lease will soon be up, because all of the interior sets have been built inside the barn. They'd have to weigh up the cost of moving them. It might just be the final straw that decides if they continue on with another series. Personally no matter what the cost I wouldn't submit to blackmail. :(

Well, that might be just a little harsh. As much as I want DM to continue well past S6, I have sympathy for the farmer too. My family owns some land that's been passed down through a few generations and currently have part of it leased to a timber company. When the agreement expires every 10 years, we have the right to ask for more money, or not, or switch to another company for more money (which we recently did). Our land, our decision.

I think that we also can see from some photos when lucky fans in the past were allowed onto the set, or in candid photos of filming, and in that "Drama Trails" thing in which MC and PB took us to the barn, that the surgery sets were built in pieces, and walls are easily moved and rearranged to allow for cameras, which means they can be trucked to another location if need be. So if they don't agree to the higher rent this farmer wants, but they do want to continue into a S7, they could find another location nearby and just move everything. Inconvenient and an added expense, but not the end of the world. I think all of this is linked to whether the end of the lease coincides with BP being ready to move on and put a conclusion to DM. In other words, I don't think the end of the lease and possible rent increase will be the cause of the end of DM, just a related timing issue.

What's more interesting, speaking of 10-year-leases, is the fact that BP obviously did sign a 10-year-lease with this farmer. Way back in 2003. Which means, although MC and PB have often talked in "maybe" terms about whether they would go on with additional seasons, it looks to me like this was mapped as a 10-year project almost from the start. I know they had to negotiate repeatedly with ITV, but it does look like this all was planned in the hopes that ITV would keep commissioning new series through a 10-year time span. Very interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »

Oops - sorry I wasn't clearer. It was the Sherlock Holmes guy on Graham Norton ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to sound too stalker-ish :eek:, but I was looking at those twitter feeds this morning...

Oh, no, Shop Girl, I'm afraid you may suffer from delusional romantic attachments often associated with an excessive intrusiveness into the life of the object of irrational affection.

:D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.