Hmm, think my ex has been checking me out on facebook

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
Forum Member
I don't log in much and keep everything private but when I logged in today, he came up as a suggested friend. I have never bothered looking for him on facebook and have never loaded email contacts, etc.

Why would he appear? Are there any reasons why he would appear other than that he has been viewing my profile?

Comments

• mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    err if you have mutual friends maybe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    It means a 3rd party has told facebook to suggest you add him. You shouldn't be able to tell who has viewed your profile.
  • LincsDan32LincsDan32 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not friends with any of your friends on facebook?

Not joined any of the same causes or those invitation thingies?

could be a host of different things
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    I don't log in much and keep everything private but when I logged in today, he came up as a suggested friend. I have never bothered looking for him on facebook and have never loaded email contacts, etc.

Why would he appear? Are there any reasons why he would appear other than that he has been viewing my profile?

And does anyone really care?

Facebook is evil.
  • Beth HartBeth Hart Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    Could the friend have searched your name?
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I received an e mail this week from a student who has just left, inviting me to join his FB as a friend so I can see his photographs. :eek:

I have never had any intention of joining FB and his invitation has confirmed my view! :eek: He was one of the most arrogant, self obsessed, lazy individuals it's been my misfortune to teach. I couldn't stand in in my room, I'm hardly likely to have him lurk in my computer in my own home!!!!
    Forum Member
    RubusRoo wrote: »

Facebook is evil.
    Facebook is awesome. I know most of it is tedious people you once knew documenting the minutae of their boring lives, but if you ignore all that and just read people getting trolled, it's great.

Also I respect them for not kowtowing to the "moral majority", government etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    No, he's not in touch with any of my friends and vice versa. That's why I think he must have searched for me in order for him to appear as a 'suggested friend'. Thing is, my profile is private, so all he would have seen, if he did search is mockup picture- std on facebook.

Very strange.
    Forum Member
    No, he's not in touch with any of my friends and vice versa. That's why I think he must have searched for me in order for him to appear as a 'suggested friend'. Thing is, my profile is private, so all he would have seen, if he did search is mockup picture- std on facebook.

Very strange.
    It's a facebook "thing" that it gives you no way to know who's visited your page, unless they make it known that they have.
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

Very strange.

Do you still have his email address in your address book? I think if you have ever used friend finder it will suggest people whose email is in your address book as friends. I have people that regularly get suggested and this can be the only reason.
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    MrHoppy wrote: »
    It's a facebook "thing" that it gives you no way to know who's visited your page, unless they make it known that they have.

Hope you're right, I'm a right old nosey parker and search all and sundry when I have 10 minutes to kill and I'm bored :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Do you still have his email address in your address book? I think if you have ever used friend finder it will suggest people whose email is in your address book as friends. I have people that regularly get suggested and this can be the only reason.

No, that's why I'm baffled.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mutual friends is the obvious one.

But as I was saying the other day on here, Facebook suggested a coin dealer in Indianapolis USA as a facebook friend to me, and the only dealings I'd ever had with him was an exchange of e mails in February.

I did e mail him again to see if he'd wanted to make me a facebook friend, and he confirmed that he hadn't ~ why would he ?

I do wonder if facebook somehow scans your e mails and links to others it finds that are on FB,.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it's normal to look up your exes on FB? We talked about it in work and we've all done it
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    I received an e mail this week from a student who has just left, inviting me to join his FB as a friend so I can see his photographs. :eek:

I have never had any intention of joining FB and his invitation has confirmed my view! :eek: He was one of the most arrogant, self obsessed, lazy individuals it's been my misfortune to teach. I couldn't stand in in my room, I'm hardly likely to have him lurk in my computer in my own home!!!!

I don't get that! Why be friends with people you don't even like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am of the belief that Facebook is able to 'find' a lot more information about you than just who is in your address book and mutual friends. Even if they were in your email list then unless you let FB scan your address book then some people shouldn't come up but they still do. Happens to me some times too.

I would think that the most obvious suggestion is that they sought you out but if you have ever Googled him then I don't think that can be ruled out.

Yes maybe I am paranoid but there certainly seems to be more to it than allowing it on to your Hotmail account and sharing friendships.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Everyone searched for their ex partners, old friends who they've fallen out with etc because we are all nost bastards :p

Anyway, Facebook uses various ways to link people; mutual friends is the most common but they can also use email address links (he might have your email address in his address book or you his and people can log in using Hotmail etc).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    People seem to have forgotten that FB is a networking site, not a "friendship" site. It's all about connecting you with people you, people who know people you know, people who know people........and so on. The site looks at people you know.................oh, you know. That's how it comes up with people you, er, might know. You know?
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »
    I don't get that! Why be friends with people you don't even like.

Same here! Very odd!

I think he probably sent out message to everyone on his e mail list, forgetting he'd sent me some work ages ago when he was ill. Actually, it could be quite funny if I was on FB and answered his invitation!!:D
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RubusRoo wrote: »

Facebook is evil.[/QUOTE]

Er, no it isnt. How else can i keep in touch with my family all over the world at no cost and see pic of my neice hours after she is born?
    Comments like that just show ignorance.
  • SkyknightSkyknight Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very strange.

What's the problem then???
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is nothing. He's probably used friend finder, you are in his email address book, and you got a friend request. That's all.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

Er, no it isnt. How else can i keep in touch with my family all over the world at no cost and see pic of my neice hours after she is born?
    Comments like that just show ignorance.

Email?
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope you're right, I'm a right old nosey parker and search all and sundry when I have 10 minutes to kill and I'm bored :o

Oh me too!

I'd be mortified if everyone knew I was looking at their profiles! :eek::)