What's going on with PS2?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
I played on a PS2 today, and am so pleased i have not forked out £299 for this "thing"! (no offence to you guys out there who have ordered one, it maybe what your expecting.) Anyway when I heared about the Playstation 2 i was expecting the ultimate games playing machine. However I played on the new ridge racer title, and was exceedingly disappointed. The graphics are very reminiscent of the PSone, just smoother, and gameplay is so slow. I had high expectations of this machine, and if Ridge Racer is the shape of things to come, one of these units will never make its way throught my door. Sony really should have put more than 4mb VRAM in? For a machine with the PS2's potential this really is a ludicriously small amount. The Dreamcast has 8MB, so therefore shouldn't the PS2 have at least 12MB. From my time on Ridge Racer 5 I saw a huge amount of misting, reminiscent of the Ninetendo 64. With the PSOne there were crystal clear graphics, when the PSOne and N64 grpahics were seen side by side the clarity of the Playstaion's graphics were so obviously better.

Another question are there going to be any original titles coming out for the PS2? As currently i can only see sequels to existing games (or at least the only good games on the machine.)

I have enjoyed 5 years of the PSOne, i paid £279 for it, when it launched it was an original machine, with original titles really pushoing the boundaries of gaming. I'm sorry to say that, for me personally, the PS2 is looking like a huge disappointment.

I have had a dreamcast for about a year now, and have enjoyed a range of quality titles. I was wondering a) the sales numbers of the dreamcast. And if it gets to the point where Sega are forced out of the console market do you think they'll make games for the likes of PS2?

I'll probably get much abuse for this message, but I believe that Sony are taking advantage of their market situation, by flogging off products that aren't of as high quality as they should be. If this is the shape of the PS2 of the future, I would say to Sony please just concentrate on the Home Entertainment market.

Sorry everyone here I don't mean any offence to any of you who have forked out £299 for your console, i'm sure you'll be very happy with the product. I'm just expressing my personal feelings on the PS2 front, and besides the PS2 hasn't recieved any adverse publicity yet.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Hey it's cool, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally I dont RRV is that good a game but I went to ECTS this year and I saw alot of games that grabbed my attention SSX (which is awesome) MGS (The one everyones talking about) also other games such as Z.O.E and The Bouncer seem very interesting.

This console is in it's infancy remember when the PS came out it's lauch games weren't astounding Wipeout was probably the best then in the first quarter of 1996 the games started to roll out.

But hey I'm not standing up for the PS2, my brother bought himself a DC and it's a great console with Virtua Tennis and Soul Caliber being the pick of the list for me. I think that the PS2 won't live up to it's hype but only a fool would doubt the fact that it's going to do very very well.

Add that to the fact that I can fionally watch The Matrix, Gladiator and Fight Club downstairs I think I am gonna be quite happy.

Oh I asked that Q about VRAM on another board and it was all explained to me. You see while normal VRAM stores textures for a level/stage the PS2 is constantly pushing textures through uusing the VRAM as a buffer as it has a higher bandwith tan the DC's. Basically you can't tell a thing from the stats you have to see the consoles. (Is that right?)

FYI The Games I'm getting

SSX: Played it at ECTS Mindblowing the launch game to buy!

TTT: My name is Jay and I am a Tekoholic. Played it at ECTS Deep game, noticed the 'jaggies' but now it uses AA so the already sweet eye candy is even sweeter.

FIFA 2001: Why I'm getting this I don't know, Why I am gonna love it I don't know, again another one at ECTS and it's alot of fun to play with your friends. Maybe i'm getting it to impress them...

Man come friday I'll know who my friends are they'll be the ones that hate me, and people I don't know will love me.

Now gotta start saving for a NGC while my brother is 1/2 way to an X-Box. (I think I got the better consoles but they all sit under the same TV!)

--- Jay ---
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    can you give me your first impressions of the machine on Friday when you get it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    ok
  • BryanBryan Posts: 5,059
    Forum Member
    JayG you're a lucky son of a gun:cool: i wish i was getting my PS2 on friday, you are so right to point out the fact when ps1 came out you had games that i wouldn't touch now and look horrid, because it takes time for developers to reach the potential of a machine, don't forget games like Silent scope, Kessen, wipeout fusion and my personal favorite MGS2 all look fantastic so i think in a couple of years developers should be doing amazing things with PS2 and let us not forget all of the things we can do such as the digital optical out will allow you to make music then record digitally to a minidisc, the i-link will let you put your bosses face on a charachter in a fighting game etc etc, i think the potential of the ps2 is great and i envy all those people who are getting there's on friday, i shouldn't have to wait long though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Ridge Racer 5 is a very average game which does not use the capabilities of the PS2 very well. I never actually like the previous Ridge Racer games and it looks to me as if this game was 'knocked out' very quickly. If you read the reveiws nobody seems particularly impressed with it. IF you want to see what the PS2 is capable of checkout out SSX, International Track & Field or preferably go to a newsagent and buy the PS2 magazine out at the moment (can't remember its name) with a free DVD on the cover featuring Gran Turismo 3 (magazine is only £2.99) - watch this DVD and then you will be VERY impressed with what a PS2 can do. I do agree partially with what you are saying though - the first batch of games are not that amazing but I would expect the games coming out for Xmas 2001 will be much better (the PS2 is already nearly a year old in Japan remember so the games out there soon should be excellent and get to us by next Xmas).
  • Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by TVman
    However I played on the new ridge racer title, and was exceedingly disappointed. The graphics are very reminiscent of the PSone, just smoother, and gameplay is so slow. I had high expectations of this machine, and if Ridge Racer is the shape of things to come, one of these units will never make its way throught my door.

But that's the point, RR5 isn't the shape of things to come. It was a title that had very short development time in an effort to supply the Jap PS2 with various launch titles. Most of those launch titles aren't quite as advanced as they could be if the developers had more time to play with. GT3 and SSX are better examples of what the PS2 can do.
    Sony really should have put more than 4mb VRAM in? For a machine with the PS2's potential this really is a ludicriously small amount. The Dreamcast has 8MB, so therefore shouldn't the PS2 have at least 12MB.

That isn't how the PS2 architecture works. The 4Mb VRAM on the PS2 isn't a limiting factor. Knowing how to correctly program the PS2 is what counts and is an issue various PC developers have discovered after assuming it could be programmed like a PC (or DC even). Refer to this article for more details but beware it's pretty technical:

http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/2q00/ps2/ps2vspc-1.html
    With the PSOne there were crystal clear graphics, when the PSOne and N64 grpahics were seen side by side the clarity of the Playstaion's graphics were so obviously better.

I've been playing the game since June and the misting is only present at distant stages of the track. The smoothness of RR5 also stands out against Rage Racer. Again, time issues for what wasn't done properly.
    Another question are there going to be any original titles coming out for the PS2? As currently i can only see sequels to existing games (or at least the only good games on the machine.)

SSX and a few others. Most developers are still seeing what can be done with the extra power.
    I'm sorry to say that, for me personally, the PS2 is looking like a huge disappointment.

A bit unfair if you've only spent 30 minutes with the thing. I personally was disapointed with the Dreamcast when it was first launched in Japan. Almost a year later things changed. It was the same for the PSOne, it'll be the same for the PS2.
    I have had a dreamcast for about a year now, and have enjoyed a range of quality titles. I was wondering a) the sales numbers of the dreamcast. And if it gets to the point where Sega are forced out of the console market do you think they'll make games for the likes of PS2?

Unlikely. They may just try again to be honest. I expect the recent price cut and the new DVD add-on may boost the DC this Xmas. Unfortunately the heavy piracy may also be it's death.
    I'll probably get much abuse for this message, but I believe that Sony are taking advantage of their market situation, by flogging off products that aren't of as high quality as they should be. If this is the shape of the PS2 of the future, I would say to Sony please just concentrate on the Home Entertainment market.

You won't get abuse :). I just think you need to look at the overall situation from a more informed point of view. Anyway, the Xbox is likely to shake things up next year as will the GameCube so we'll probably be discussing all of this again.
    Sorry everyone here I don't mean any offence to any of you who have forked out £299 for your console, i'm sure you'll be very happy with the product.

I forked out £500 for my Jap PS2 and I'm happy with it so far :)

You asked for some first impressions...I did a review back in June which may interest you:

http://www.forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?threadid=202

It needs some updating now I've spent a reasonable amount of time with it but it should suffice. Note that the latter half is missing for some reason. A problem with the recent software upgrade on the board I imagine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Sorry I probably shouldn't have expected so much from a launch title, i was just expecting so much, and Ridge Racer V offered so little. Good review though Jose, just checked it out now.
  • Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I too was expecting quite a bit from the Japanese launch but I was willing to accept the difficulties the developers had with available time and adjusting to new hardware. Most of the launch titles here haven't changed much from their Japanese counterparts. TTT has anti-aliasing now but not much else.

Full blown titles (time-wise) like GT3, SSX and MGS2 are beginning to show what the PS2 can do and what was lacking in the early releases. Admittedly the price IS a problem but that should hopefully go down next year.

Thanks for the comments on the review. I'll try and recover the last half of it if possible as it contained brief reviews on TTT and DOA2 which might be worth comaparing with the UK releases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably to show everyone how unbelievably wrong the OP was!
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy 7 wrote: »
    probably to show everyone how unbelievably wrong the OP was!

Yeah that OP was so wrong, he must feel silly if he reads that back now :rolleyes:...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen some old threads resurrected in my time but 13 YEARS!!??
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish there was a Sega Game Gear thread...