manifesto for head boy

jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am running for Head Boy at my school and need to create a manifesto.
I do not really understand what that is so could you please help.
My policies are:
a student radio
more life skill seminars
learning to budget money
putting home works online with links
being able to email home
accessing your student information at home
to have calories shown on sandwiches at schools

I am not sure if i am following the right path, could some one help please

thank you

Comments

• ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Try and stick to things you think are possible otherwise people will think you're a charlatan. Most of it is probably already down to popularity with your peers anyway.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    The best thing to do is ask the people who will be voting for you what they would like.

My son put his 'manifesto' together with the help of his mates in the sixth form ( though I don't think it was referred to as such), and he was elected head-boy ( though one teacher tried to veto it).

He was a bit of a 'rogue' candidate though, and only ran because the other candidates were rather'geeky' (apologies for using that term,) and unpopular( so, yes, it is often a popularity contest), and he was encouraged to do so because a significant number felt he would represent them better. I think it was more of a coup than an election.

He didn't do much though, gave a few speeches, won a few prizes, and tried to stop MccDonalds advertising in the school. Ultimately it was most useful for uni applications.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank you barbella
    what would go on my poster btw?
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was head boy. At our school you had to be nominated by a member of staff then there was a vote by the pupils in the top two years. I don't think I did much campaigning, I was just the least annoying of all the people who had been nominated. Hard to believe, I know.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi JJ,

As with any election, you'll need to decide between what policies are important to you, and those that are likely to get you elected. If you're lucky, you may have some policies that fall into both categories.

If not, welcome to the real world, - oh to be 17 again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man, I'd have loved a democratic election of Head Boy and Head Girl at my school.

The Head Boy from my year was the only boy who had committed to entering the seminary and the Head Girl post went to the Principal Maths teacher's daughter. Decided of course by the Head.

Bollocks to that.