What's worth seeing at the cinema at the moment?

Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
Forum Member
✭✭
In a couple of weeks time, the wife and I have a rare day off together upon which we haven't got the kids to look after. We want to go to the cinema (for the first time in God knows how long!)

What's decent at the cinema at the moment? Forgive my ignorance, I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of films at the moment.

We both like thrillers, comedies, dramas and mysteries. She can tolerate an action film if it's a good one. I'd be prepared to take one for the team and see a rom-com if it came highly recommended.

Had a quick look at the listings for my local cinema and read the associated plot synopsis. Films that are possibilities are Filth, How I Live Now and Prisoners. Can anyone recommend any of these, or conversely warn me off them? Or is there anything else better out at the moment? Or, will there be anything else out by the time 25th October rolls around?

Thanks in advance.:)

PS. The alternative to this is forgetting the cinema and staying at home to watch Taken 2 which I Sky plussed a couple of weeks ago. We loved Taken, but haven't seen the sequel yet. Is this a better idea than anything else out there at the moment?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Prisoners was really good, I'd definitely recommend it. If you like thrillers there's also Captain Phillips coming out next week, that's been getting good reviews.

Taken 2 is nowhere near as good as the original, still just about worth watching, but I wouldn't plan a night around it.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite fancy Sunshine on Leith. Good review from The Telegraph. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/10353573/Sunshine-on-Leith-review.html
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm holding out for the Thor sequel which is being released around the 30th this month.
    If you like super hero movies that is.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue Jasmine is a wonderful movie :)
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second Prisoners - however it is important to know that the film isn't exactly a barrel of laughs and is also quite lengthy (2 1/2hrs I believe).
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also say Prisoners. It's 2 and 1/2 hours but it seems like a lot less than that - it flies by!

I'd also say White House Down. I wasn't expecting to like it much but I loved it. It's a bit of fun and escapism and it's very funny.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prisoners! amazing film
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Prisoners is a great film but I would also recommend Rush as well if that's still showing!
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I saw Captain Phillips at a preview screening on Wednesday night. Best film I've seen for a while - though I haven't seen Prisoners. It's a great edge-of-seat film and should be on general release by then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Machete kills
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,911
    Forum Member
    I'll look in to some of these too. I'd like to go to the cinema at some point next week :)
  • kinetic747kinetic747 Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rush. :cool:
  • biawhiskabiawhiska Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Seen both Rush and Prisoners. Recommend them both
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    If it's showing anywhere near you, Le Week-end is getting fantastic reviews.