Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 13: Nightmare In Silver 11/05/2013 BBC1 7:00PM

davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
Forum Member
Looking forward to Neil Gaiman's second script for Doctor Who with great anticipation!
It may seem like an odd decision to pit The Doctor against The Cybermen in the penultimate episodes of both the Sixth and Seventh series, but the role they play in events are wildly different between the two stories. Whereas 2011’s Closing Time features a group of tin soldiers who were on their last legs, Nightmare in Silver is very much about looking to the future, and creating the next phase of The Cybermen.

Writer Neil Gaiman recently commented that he was asked to write the episode with a brief to make The Cybermen scary again:

"I thought, 'Let me see what I can do when I take the 1960s Cybermen and [incorporate] everything that's happened since'. So that's what I'm trying to do. I don't know if it will work."

We're pleased to report that not only does it work, but it works brilliantly. The episode is littered with references to the Cybermen’s past - with design elements from The Tomb of the Cybermen bleeding through into the new design of a Cyber-ship, to references concerning the creatures’ previous allergies and leaders. For a fan of the 20th century version of Doctor Who, this episode is a real treasure trove

Next Time Trailer
Dr Who Online Review (10/10)
SFX Review
DWTV Teasers

What did you think of the episode? 703 votes

Excellent
31% 224 votes
Good
31% 223 votes
Average
21% 151 votes
Bad
6% 43 votes
Poor
8% 62 votes

Comments

• TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Outrage* How dare you create this thread a week early :mad: :mad: *Outrage*

Looking forward to the Cybermen next week. Not sure it can live up to The Doctor's Wife, but if it uses the Cybermen more effectively than Closing Time, I'll be happy. :D
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    CD93 made it a tradition, and its one I intend to keep :p:D
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever the thread is created is a bit of an irrelevance really though I do think its better done a day or so before. Now we have a preview thread and an episode thread and one will drop off the front page soon enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 made it a tradition, and its one I intend to keep :p:D

Actually, I'll think you'll find it was I who made it a tradition! :mad:
    *Cough* Cold War Thread *cough*

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1814964&highlight=cold+war
    :D:D
    Forum Member
    So it was! Are you sure you and CD aren't the same poster? ;)
    Forum Member
    Whenever the thread is created is a bit of an irrelevance really though I do think its better done a day or so before. Now we have a preview thread and an episode thread and one will drop off the front page soon enough.
    Actually, I'll think you'll find it was I who made it a tradition! :mad:
    *Cough* Cold War Thread *cough*

The Cold War thread set a precedent for being a week early as a way of eliminating the need for a previews thread as preview links often end up in these threads anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it was! Are you sure you and CD aren't the same poster? ;)

Well, we're not the same incarnation that's all I'm saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cold War thread set a precedent for being a week early as a way of eliminating the need for a previews thread as preview links often end up in these threads anyway.

yeah sure. So I would advocate a merge of the preview thread with this one. Its just a practical thing. If you have one dedicated thread it makes it easier to follow everything and not miss stuff.
    Forum Member
    The exact reason fez gave :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was debating whether to make this or the preview thread :(

Shotgun the finale!! :D
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blabbity blah.
    Forum Member
    I was debating whether to make this or the preview thread :(

Shotgun the finale!! :D

It's all yours :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats with the SFX previews recently? Constantly putting little digs on episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats with the SFX previews recently? Constantly putting little digs on episodes.

I noticed a bit of that. Not sure why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *scratches arse*
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    Blabbity blah.
    ea91 wrote: »
    *scratches arse*

What exactly is your problem? Its not like this is the 1st thread to be started 1 week early.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that SFX preview was awful! :O.....they all have been for series 7B however :/

BUT i am on such a high after todays episode...seriously! Class act...that i really feel Neil will be continuing the pace with the Cybermen next week! Seriously it looks like its going to be something worth raving about...I dont feel we have had a true Cyberman episode yet..in fact across its post-2005 revival i think the most ingenius Cyberman moment was in The Pandorica Opens as a lone warrior in pieces...classic! So yeah...this one looks set to be something special!

Cannot wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly is your problem? Its not like this is the 1st thread to be started 1 week early.

Just contributing based on what I've seen of the episode.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why am I impossible?

:eek::eek::eek:
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "An alien from The Sarah Jane Adventures also pops up." that would be
    The Trickster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    In general, keep your eyes peeled for other returning monsters and aliens. And Doctors.

:rolleyes: Hmm Interesting
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that SFX preview was awful! :O.....they all have been for series 7B however :/

BUT i am on such a high after todays episode...seriously! Class act...that i really feel Neil will be continuing the pace with the Cybermen next week! Seriously it looks like its going to be something worth raving about...I dont feel we have had a true Cyberman episode yet..in fact across its post-2005 revival i think the most ingenius Cyberman moment was in The Pandorica Opens as a lone warrior in pieces...classic! So yeah...this one looks set to be something special!

Cannot wait.

Apart from when the head tried to eat Amy...

That was a bit silly. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »
    Apart from when the head tried to eat Amy...

That was a bit silly. :D

Oh man you know what i loved that too....when the skull popped out and it was trying to eat her was so face-hugger like...:eek:
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing Warwick Davis in this...:)

the reviews from them seem a bit...off this year. In the past their spoiler free previews used to be more about giving a few teasers and hints about an episode to wheat the appetite, lately it just seems to be about having a sly dig (not even making constructive criticisms) which kind of goes against the whole point of what their previews used to do.

Must admit I am getting quite weary of this current trend of using CBBC as a way to attack the quality of this/other shows. CBBC has been responsible for some of the finest, most creative and engaging shows made by the BBC in recent years.