Russell Brand gets hands on with his fans.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I just had a look at a few clips of Bill Hicks on Youtube to see what all the fuss is about. Not surprisingly, I don't find him funny myself, as it's just not my type of humour. He seems like an ordinary bloke talking about Big Controversial Issues, while trying to be all cool and laid back, and use the F-word as many times in a sentence as possible. (Not that I have anything against swearing.)

Obviously I don't know much about him, just from watching a few clips, but his style of humour seems about as far away from Russell Brand's, as it's possible to get. I prefer comedians who do not seem like normal people, those who have a real stage presence, such as Noel Fielding, Eddie Izzard, and Russell Kane. And I find people who are cool and laid back on stage a bit boring, unless they have some really clever material.

Comedy is very subjective. We can't all be expected to like the same thing. I do think that RB is very much a "love him or hate him" kind of person, someone who really polarises opinions. Also his humour probably doesn't translate well to many Americans, it is very British in style. There's actually such a chasm between British and American humour.
  • Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DODS11 wrote: »
    He's also a very eloquent, literate, clever, insightful and funny man.

In what way is he disgusting? Because he has sex and is very open about it? Are there any examples of him saying/doing anything of a misogynistic nature? Sex pest is a very crude term for someone who has actually admitted and been very public with the fact that they suffer from a sex addiction and have tried to receive treatment for it.

Disgusting in the demeaning and belittling way he treats women as conquests rather than human beings.
  • Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've never heard of any of those three, so I can't compare them. Are they American? I rarely find American humour funny, and as a result don't really know the names of most of the USA comedians.

But if you actually listen to Russell's comedy, it is very clever. I don't think "blithering idiots" would understand some of the vocabulary involved for a start.

Comedy? You mean his poor;y received stand up that basically revolves around his "Shagger of the Year" award he received from The Sun and little else of substance.

I applaud him for overcoming his substance abuse as that is something to genuinely admire, but there's nothing else about him.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did someone actually just type they prefer the 'comedy' of Noel Fielding over Bill Hicks. Only on DS....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »

Live seen the first one. Will watch the other two. Howard Stern creeps me out so much.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Live seen the first one. Will watch the other two. Howard Stern creeps me out so much.
    Never been a long time listener to the show as such, more so the interviews he does with the guests in the last couple of years, and as you pointed out, i've picked up a thing or two from scouring the message boards about him over the years.(every individuals pay check and dick size seems to be a regular bit)

Russell seemingly takes it all on the chin however, which makes it so great!, seemingly impenetrable skin
    Forum Member
    Did someone actually just type they prefer the 'comedy' of Noel Fielding over Bill Hicks. Only on DS....

Yes, I did type that. And quite obviously it won't just be on DS, because outside of here both of them will have their fans.

I'm not particularly keen on political comedy or satire, but I do love creative, inventive, unusual and imaginative material, so naturally I am going to prefer Noel Fielding to Bill Hicks.

They are so different in style, that it's slightly pointless comparing them anyway. I really don't see how either can be considered superior to the other, when they are at such opposite extremes of comedy. I mean how can you make any sensible comparisons between them anyway? It's like saying: "Which is a better colour, blue or yellow? It's just personal preference!
    Forum Member
    Comedy? You mean his poor;y received stand up that basically revolves around his "Shagger of the Year" award he received from The Sun and little else of substance.

I applaud him for overcoming his substance abuse as that is something to genuinely admire, but there's nothing else about him.

Poorly received in whose opinion? Yours? I've seen plenty of good reviews for his stand up. Bad ones too, of course, but like I said he polarises opinion. Also his shows frequently sell out, which is probably more important really, than what a few critics think.

As you dislike Russell so much, I would have thought it likely that you haven't watched much of his stand up. If that's the case, how do you know what the content of the show is?

He talks about his own life, (like many other comedians from both past and present) but this involves all kind of things that have happened to him, awkward incidents, people he has met, etc. And it is virtually always told in a self-deprecating style.