Ditched Virgin Media TV package after 6 years but they want tv set top box back

ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
Forum Member
✭✭
Virgin Media contacted me last week after I complained about the increase in my bill. I have had the TV (Large) package with Virgin Media alongside the Broadband (Medium) Package since 2006 but since I cancelled my TV package a couple of days ago after having it for 6 years they want the Samsung V-Box back and have arranged to collect it tomorrow afternoon.

I am not happy with this considering I have been with Virgin Media since they bought over Telewest (I was a Telewest customer too before they were VM). Surely the Samsung V-box is mine to keep?

Please advise

Comments

• WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, cable companies loan you the box for the duration of your custom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    The above post is correct, however chances are that they will never be collected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still think after 6 years its a disgrace.
  • Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're upset with VM because you didn't read the T&C right?

The box isn't going to be useful without the cable signal. If your life depends on a recorded program on the HD, you should be able to transfer this to a DVD recorder, for example.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although to look at it another way they have had six years of free servicing and free replacement of any faulty equipment.

Non-ownership is the price you pay for free call out.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The box is useless anyway once it's cancelled all you get is BBC One, BBC TWO, ITV1, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV2+1, ITV3+1,ITV4+1,Channel 4+1, On Demand Previews, FilmFlex Previews, Music On Demand Previews, Live Events Previews, BBC NEWS, Adult Previews & Radio channels and you get an annoying pop up box all the time
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The box is useless anyway once it's cancelled all you get is BBC One, BBC TWO, ITV1, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV2+1, ITV3+1,ITV4+1,Channel 4+1, On Demand Previews, FilmFlex Previews, Music On Demand Previews, Live Events Previews, BBC NEWS, Adult Previews & Radio channels and you get an annoying pop up box all the time

...and, of course, you're not entitled to ANY TV service if you are not paying a TV subscription.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah except if you pay TV Licence you get Freeview
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't realise ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 where still available when TV package with Virgin Media is cancelled. I thought only BBC1, BBC2, STV, C4 and C5 were the only channels still available to view .
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Just to point out if you don't return the STB, they will charge you to replace it as it is their kit. This is within the terms and conditions
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you rent a house for 6 years, it doesn't automatically become yours.

The cable companies rent you the equipment.

As a consumer, this has good and bad points:

Good:

-No responsibility for faults
    -Free upgrades when needed

Bad:

-Don't keep the equipment (although you may be charged for getting it)
    -Can't choose your own equipment
  • cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    How can anyone expect to keep equipment they didnt even pay for? The terms and conditions are very clear equipment remains the property of Virgin Media. When your services finish they should send you a prepaid box to return the box which you take to the nearest post office. That is also disgusting :p
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah except if you pay TV Licence you get Freeview

...which is delivered directly to your TV via an external aerial NOT VIA A CABLE CONNECTION.
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy from Virgin Media appeared and he asked for the Vbox and Smart Card back. He wrote me a receipt and I signed it and now I am free of their TV package.

I didn't realise that ITV2, 3 and 4 were still available even if the TV service is cancelled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artmuzz wrote: »
    I didn't realise ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 where still available when TV package with Virgin Media is cancelled. I thought only BBC1, BBC2, STV, C4 and C5 were the only channels still available to view .

Yeah but only the +1 versions of them
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its a great idea renting the boxes etc from them, we've had 4 remotes in 4 years for nothing, whereas a sky remote is £15 a go!
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but only the +1 versions of them
    So you are allowed to watch them, but only after everyone else has finished with them :D
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Artmuzz wrote: »
    The guy from Virgin Media appeared and he asked for the Vbox and Smart Card back. He wrote me a receipt and I signed it and now I am free of their TV package.

I didn't realise that ITV2, 3 and 4 were still available even if the TV service is cancelled.

I have just pulled out the Virgin Card out of my box and these are the channels I can get without a Virgin Card

All BBC Channels
    ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5
    ITV2+, ITV3+ and ITV4+
    Live Events on Channel 0
    All Preview channels
    All Audio Description channels
    All Local Channels from Channel 850 onwards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just pulled out the Virgin Card out of my box and these are the channels I can get without a Virgin Card

All BBC Channels
    ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5
    ITV2+, ITV3+ and ITV4+
    Live Events on Channel 0
    All Preview channels
    All Audio Description channels
    All Local Channels from Channel 850 onwards

Yeah that's what I got couldn't remember the rest :)
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this 'you don't own the box' thing even an issue? You can't use it once your service is over so what's the point? It's like someone complaining that they have to give the shopping trolley back after they've done the weekly shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is this 'you don't own the box' thing even an issue? You can't use it once your service is over so what's the point? It's like someone complaining that they have to give the shopping trolley back after they've done the weekly shop.

Good point about the shopping trolley it's the same idea!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member

@ no time do you own Virgin set top box even when they were Telewest it was the same :D
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Timotei75 wrote: »
    The above post is correct, however chances are that they will never be collected.

They recently collected my equipment on the actual day my services were disconnected.

And with some prompting the guy gave me a receipt with the serial numbers on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I do have to laugh. If people read the T&C's they clearly state the V boxes never belong to the customer, you just rent them. I know some people get funny about this but unlike sky if it goes wrong it doesn't cost you a penny to get fixed. So it may take a day or so for an engineer to arrive but it's not as bad as having to pay to get it repaired.
  • Steve_runnerSteve_runner Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cancelled my service beginning of April, they said they would send me a bag to return the equipment. Nothing came so I rang them, not a lot of interest. They said they would resend the bag! I got her to note on my file that I would not ring again and I would dispose of the boxes at the end of May if nothing came. She was happy to do so, I get the feeling I'll never see a bag...