Help with choosing TV please

Hi. I'm looking to buy a 40 or 42" TV on a limited budget and have been researching things on the internet for a few days. I think I've ended up with more questions than answers!

Most of these I'm just going to have to decide for myself, but I would really appreciate some help with a couple of things. I have a 'long-list' of TV's that I could get and need to narrow this down.

The first question I need to decide is whether to get a 720p Plasma or a 1080p LCD/LED. Would I notice a big difference in the picture between the 2?

FYI: I watch most things through a Sky+HD box and watch a lot of sport - especially cricket and football. I have an LG Blu-ray home theatre system for sound.

Many thanks.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Some people prefer a projector and a screen on a tripod. That would be cheaper.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidge62 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking to buy a 40 or 42" TV on a limited budget and have been researching things on the internet for a few days. I think I've ended up with more questions than answers!

Most of these I'm just going to have to decide for myself, but I would really appreciate some help with a couple of things. I have a 'long-list' of TV's that I could get and need to narrow this down.

The first question I need to decide is whether to get a 720p Plasma or a 1080p LCD/LED. Would I notice a big difference in the picture between the 2?

FYI: I watch most things through a Sky+HD box and watch a lot of sport - especially cricket and football. I have an LG Blu-ray home theatre system for sound.

Many thanks.
    What's your budget?
    Do you watch in a dark room, or a brightly lit one?

My recommendation is to get a budget model from a good make (Panasonic, Samsung, Sony) not a budget brand like Goodmans, Kenwood etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Hi. The room gets lots of sun in the day so is usually fairly bright. The window is behind the TV and to the right. I sit directly in front of the TV about 7' away. I am limited in where I can buy at the moment so my list is:

Samsung 43in Plasma TV £349
    Toshiba 40in 1080p HD LCD TV £375
    LG 42in Plasma TV £385
    Samsung 40in 1080p HD LCD TV £399
    Cello 42in 3D LCD TV £440
    Panasonic 42in Viera Plasma TV £449
    Samsung 40in 1080p LED TV £499

All the plasmas are 720p. All the LCD/LED are 1080p. I don't have model numbers at the moment.

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    OK. I've been looking into things further and have got the choice down to 2 TV's:

The favourite is the Panasonic 42" Plasma: Model no. TX-P42X60;
    The alternative (if I decide I need full HD) is the Samsung 40 " LED: Model no. UE40EH5000.

If anyone has any experience of either of these I'd be grateful for your opinion.

Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    Yes, but 1080i is not the same as 1080p? Doesn't it fill-in so can look jerky on 1080p???

Will I be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p for most broadcasts?

Won't motion blur be less on the plasma for things like football?????

Always had LCD up to now, so not sure if changing will be better or not! :(
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the use of "720p" is at all helpful or relevant here.
    The plasma TV you mentioned (TX-P42X60) is HD Ready, with a screen resolution of 1024x768, and can accept broadcasts up to 1080p/24p.

Personally I'd say that at 42" you'd be better going for Full HD regardless of whether it's a plasma or LCD, but it depends on your budget I guess.

Is motion blur a problem on LCDs nowadays? Can't say I've ever noticed.
    I think the main reason people still go with plasmas is the more realistic colours and better viewing angle.

My brother has a Panasonic plasma (Full HD), and if I'm just visiting for the day I think the picture looks a bit pallid. But if I'm staying for a few days, I always end up appreciating the natural looking colours.
    But I'm always happy to get home to my more vibrant LCD. :D
    Forum Member
    Went to Currys this morning to look at some Tv's to help make up my mind. Salesmen really don't want you to buy Plasmas anymore!!!

I see what people mean now by the reflection in Plasmas. I know the shop isn't the best place to see them but it did worry me.

l also tried 3D for the first time and really liked it! So, am thinking of getting a 3D TV after all!!

One more question in his thread, if I can try your patience:

Would you pay an extra £150 for an LG that is LED and 100Hz rather than a Cello which is backlit LCD and 50Hz??

Model numbers are: 42L450 & C2T71DVB-3D

Many, many thanks.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Went to Currys this morning to look at some Tv's to help make up my mind. Salesmen really don't want you to buy Plasmas anymore!!!

Probably because they hardly exist any more :D

(only three manufacturers left, all of whom make far more LCD's than they do Plasma).

I see what people mean now by the reflection in Plasmas. I know the shop isn't the best place to see them but it did worry me.

Draw the curtains to watch TV :D

That's what I do, makes a Plasma perfectly fine.

Would you pay an extra £150 for an LG that is LED and 100Hz rather than a Cello which is backlit LCD and 50Hz??

LG is a middling make, and Cello a crappy cheap imported make - 50/100Hz doesn't make a great deal of difference.
    Forum Member
    Yes. Cello is imported from Bishop Auckland! :confused:
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Yes. Cello is imported from Bishop Auckland! :confused:

Cello 'claim' to 'make' their own TV's - yet they appear to be just cheap chinese imported sets. Presumably they buy them unassembled and just screw them together? - I don't consider that 'making' a TV :p

I've seen inside a couple of Cello 'made' sets - just normal cheap far eastern construction and design, typical low quality sets.
    Forum Member
    Yes. I've read a few reviews and wouldn't expect a top quality product! The 3D stuff is the same as LG but the old back-lighting stuff they use is rather putting me off.
    £400 or so for a 42" Full HD 3D is cheap though!!!
    No Argos near me has the LG at the £379 price on the website so I'd be looking at over £500 for that.
    Forum Member
    My conclusions after confusing myself for a couple of weeks:

If you don't want bluray or gaming then HD ready plasmas are the best buy at the moment.
    eg
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/panasonic-viera-tx-p42x60b-42-plasma-tv-21289379-pdt.html
    This was £314 on the weekend and may be available for that somewhere else.

If you watch bluray or do gaming then go for LED full HD.
    If you are sure you don't want 3D as an option then this is excellent value:

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-v...?colour=Silver

If you want 3D just in case then:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l42et61b-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-42-inch-with-freeview-hd-and-2x-3d-glasses/p450103

The 3D I watched in the Panasonic store was not very good. I thought the one I saw in Currys was better. As the Panasonic and LG use the same 3D panel, I guess it was just the disc/programme they were showing. I will probably go for the 3D option just in case. You can't add it to the Tv later!

As a novice in tech stuff, my gut tells me that Plasmas are going the way of Betamax. All the real techies say they're better but the market goes in another direction!

Anyway. Think I will buy the plasma for my parents (they only watch Sky so don't need full HD) and the 3D LED for myself. Have to wait a couple of weeks though!