Hurt's incarnation confirmed (SPOILER)

Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
Forum Member
Between McGann and Eccleston according to the show's costume designer when speaking to Prince Charles, so as initially rumoured:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-charles/10157321/Doctor-Whos-new-adversary-the-Prince-of-Wales.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that's pretty conclusive! You'd think they'd make more of it, instead of using it as a passing comment when the rest of the article's about a royal visit - this news is much more important... But it's as I thought, and it's nice to know we won't have 5 months of crazy debating and speculation about whether he's a future Doctor, the first Doctor, an aged 8th, etc...

Still very disappointed Eccleston isn't involved, especially after this :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty cool with this.

Especially if it means McGann has to come back and do some linking material...
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is...

Oh dear.....a Doctor between 8 and 9. Oh dear...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    He wont be classed as an official Doctor once the episode is over. It would bugger up the action figure range. Tennant is refered to as the 10th on all packaging. Its highly likely hes a splintered version.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I suppose that could work.

Will be interesting to see in November.
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Uh, was he not confirmed when it said on-screen "Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor"?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uh, was he not confirmed when it said on-screen "Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor"?

They mean confirmed as number 9. He could have been the first doctor, between Troughton and Pertwee, the Valeyard etc etc etc.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't worry. Hurt's Doctor will be erased from Doctor Who after one episode anyways
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    All I can say is...

Oh dear.....a Doctor between 8 and 9. Oh dear...

Yeah. Imagine a talented writer being brave enough to add to the folklore of the show rather than being a slave to the past. Because Doctor Who was exactly the same show from Hartnell through to Smith with no changes or additions to the mythology. Oh dear indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very happy about this. If true then there is a tiny possibility of McGann appearing...

I also feel it gives things a bit of a shake but without messing with the past/classic who too much.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the Twelfth Doctor is actually the Thirteenth and therefore the last...
    ...okay, they obviously aren't going to cancel the show because of something mentioned a few times since The Deadly Assassin, but it means that the explanation of how the Doctor can regenerate more than twelve times will have to come sooner than we previously thought.
    This also means the Valeyard is destined to rear his ugly pantomime head soon...hopefully they'll have the sense to ignores its existence (although Moffat did mention its name in the last episode...).

Even better would be if there's some resolution to the whole thing which means the number of Doctors isn't screwed with.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    The Valeyard was an incarnation of the Doctor, but was 'somewhere between' his 12th and 13th incarnation. So not an actual numbered incarnation, but a reflection of his darker side. So I'm not convinced Hurt will necessarily be 'Doctor 9' - bumping all the others up one.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably along the lines of The Watcher.

Nobody ever counts The Watcher as an incarnation of the Doctor yet he basically had an adventure of his own in Logopolis, flying the TARDIS picking up Nyssa from Traken etc...

So Mcgann becomes Hurt (ha) changes into Hurt who does his Thing before changing into Ecclescake.
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    So Mcgann becomes Hurt (ha) changes into Hurt who does his Thing before changing into Ecclescake.

Likely yet unlikely to be seen onscreen.

There will be no bumping of numbers, it will leave a mess. Remember Hurt wouldnt be in this were it not for Ecclestone not wanting to be involved.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylob49 wrote: »
    Remember Hurt wouldnt be in this were it not for Ecclestone not wanting to be involved.

Simply not true.
  • FraxisFraxis Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    Simply not true.

Indeed. If anything, Billie is covering for Eccles' absence.
    Forum Member
    Oh hang on methinks you are incorrect. Had Ecclestone been in this I doubt Hurt would have been involved. I myself could be incorrect however. Billie is there for 10 allegedly yet I imagine she wasnt always as Elizabeth 1st looks to me like she was/ is to be 10s companion in this. Joanna Page was rumored to be an assistant when Karen Gillan she said she was leaving and maybe this means something given her casting, an assistant for one episode. That makes you wonder who Billie is appearing with if this is the case, Its very confusing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh hang on methinks you are incorrect. Had Ecclestone been in this I doubt Hurt would have been involved. I myself could be incorrect however, Billie is there for 10 allegedly yet I imagine she wasnt always as Elizabeth 1 looked like she was to be10s companion in this. Joanna Page was rumoured to be an assistant when Karen Gillan she said she was leaving. Maybe this means something given her casting, an assistant for one episode. That makes you wonder who Billie is appearing with if this is the case, Its very confusing.

I believe Eccleston's role was going to be rather small, and he himself said that it didn't add anything anything to his character, so he declined (don't have any sources for the mo, but I'm sure other people could back me up). You'd have thought that playing a part similar to Hurt's would certainly add depth to the character, which goes against Eccleston's reasoning.
    Forum Member
    Well thats just me assuming there was to be a straightforward 3 Doctors story before Ecclestone said no.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well thats just me assuming there was to be a straightforward 3 Doctors story before Ecclestone said no.

I assume there was a catch 22 with Eccleston, in that there was no point writing him a substantial part before he agreed to take part, but he wouldn't say yes without a substantial role.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well. He's pretty much spoiled it hasn't he. Intriguing. Guess that means we're getting a look at the Time War in the 50th.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry. Hurt's Doctor will be erased from Doctor Who after one episode anyways

And perhaps erased from history itself. Remember that 11 and Clara are currently messing about in the Doctor's very timeline itself and could theoretically alter many things whilst they're there.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Well. He's pretty much spoiled it hasn't he. Intriguing. Guess that means we're getting a look at the Time War in the 50th.

We've not had anything more spoiled than we already knew, surely? But I would like a glimpse of the Time War.
  • SladenSladen Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    And perhaps erased from history itself. Remember that 11 and Clara are currently messing about in the Doctor's very timeline itself and could theoretically alter many things whilst they're there.

As with all things Eccleston, the events have been timelocked.

While I am sure he meant/did not mean to do the small/large/insignificant/comedic/tragic part in the 50th, he both regrets/looks forward to being/not being in the anniversary episode.

Bored with all that, staff went and hired Hurt. He will play the Doctor.
  • swadeyswadey Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Sladen wrote: »
    As with all things Eccleston, the events have been timelocked.

While I am sure he meant/did not mean to do the small/large/insignificant/comedic/tragic part in the 50th, he both regrets/looks forward to being/not being in the anniversary episode.

Bored with all that, staff went and hired Hurt. He will play the Doctor.

I'm pleased Eccles isn't in it, he's a prissy little thing, I'm sure it will do far better without his input, and I look forward to Chris sitting behind a wallpaper pasting table fligging his signature for twenty quid, and his photo for forty in a few years time when the work dries up