Outrage over the ted DVD and blu ray release

chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I went into sainsburys today to browse the new DVD releases. I looked at the DVD release of TED and there's no extras so I was surprised and thought hmm ok no extras for a popular film like that. So I looked at the blu ray and to my annoyance deleted scenes, commentary and behind te scenes!!! It's so unfair how the entertainment world is going with DVDs now. If you want the extras you've got to buy a blu ray player. Ectras should be on both!

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call the Samaritans.:)
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Blu Ray disc can hold far more than a DVD disc. Maybe the DVD disc is so full of movie, subtitles, foreign language versions etc that there isn't room for any extras without including a second disc - which would of course push the price up. That's why there are sometimes one-disc and two-disc DVDs released - pay for one disc, and you only get the movie. Pay for two, and you get all the extras as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    This is an "outrage"? And the award for most exaggerated use of hyperbole goes to...

I can sympathise that DVD buyers are losing out, but this is hardly the start of a trend, it's been like this for well over a year now as the studios push Blu Ray.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick call the daily mail, perhaps mention jimmy saville, princess dianna, illegal immigrants and benefit claimants as the same cause and you'll be on page 5 holding a copy of the offending article before you can blink
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    So I went into sainsburys today to browse the new DVD releases. I looked at the DVD release of TED and there's no extras so I was surprised and thought hmm ok no extras for a popular film like that. So I looked at the blu ray and to my annoyance deleted scenes, commentary and behind te scenes!!! It's so unfair how the entertainment world is going with DVDs now. If you want the extras you've got to buy a blu ray player. Ectras should be on both!

Not a new thing at all. Yes Blu Ray can hold more but they also skimp cause they want people to switch to Blu Ray.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha lol you make me laugh! I'm entitled to show frustrations and I'm probably not the only one as this is what happened with the avengers assemble when all the extras were put on blu ray and none on the DVD. But good to see so many immature replies. Would rather just hear mature responses
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this thread is missing is 'switchboards are jammed' cliche and it wil be complete.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its another ploy by the studios to force people to go blu ray but people wont go blu ray as the discs prices are way too high and most major films come in expensive multi format sets containing formats people are not interested in.

One studios give the consumer a blu ray only at a fair price then everyone will be happy.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the DVD isn't full, they're just trying to force fans to buy the Blu-Ray version to get the extras, "t'was ever thus."

What tickles me is how the movie industry does this kind of thing all the time, yet still wonders why people decide to illegally download instead :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'm outraged over the Blu Ray release of Ted, primarily because I pre-ordered weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet, DAMN YOU HMV!
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    The price of Blu-ray players and the dics are cheaper than their DVD counterparts at the same point in their relative lifespans, that's for sure. Disc prices are definitely heading in the right direction.

As somebody who doesn't give a monkeys about 99% of extra features these days I'm not bothered if they choose to skimp on them for DVDs, though I understand it's frustrating if you find extra features an important aspect of a buy. The purposeful downgrading of picture and sound quality on DVD in order to push Blu does worry me though.
    Forum Member
    Its another ploy by the studios to force people to go blu ray but people wont go blu ray as the discs prices are way too high and most major films come in expensive multi format sets containing formats people are not interested in.

One studios give the consumer a blu ray only at a fair price then everyone will be happy.

£15 for Ted at HMV (inc. UltraViolet and Digital Copies), seems reasonable to me...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the DVD isn't full, they're just trying to force fans to buy the Blu-Ray version to get the extras, "t'was ever thus."

What tickles me is how the movie industry does this kind of thing all the time, yet still wonders why people decide to illegally download instead :rolleyes:

exactly!! Hopefully I'll see the deleted scenes somewhere. I'm not forking out for a blu ray player. I'm going to buy the DVD eventually but not till it's like a fiver espc as there's no extras on it. Why should people pay £15 for a DVD with jst the film?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm outraged over the Blu Ray release of Ted, primarily because I pre-ordered weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet, DAMN YOU HMV!

That's why I don't preorder from hmv anymore they've gone downhill and they're more expensive. I had stuff preordered in June that didn't turn up until a week after it's release date so I either buy stuff when it comes out in the stores or I use amazon. They gave me a tracker and sent it by a carrier for free
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £15 for Ted at HMV (inc. UltraViolet and Digital Copies), seems reasonable to me...

Most people iknow only want the film they don't want all this digital and ultraviolet rubbish. Just a waste of money.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But millions of people HAVE gone blu ray and ARE buying them, and it's obvious that blu ray is thriving.

I think the system is actually reasonably fair...dvd's are cheaper than blu ray, therefore you get less for your money obviously. Blu rays can sometimes be expensive yes, but you not only get more extras, but the pic and sound quality are infinitely better than DVD.

If more people went blu ray ad it became the dominant format, then prices would come down.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't you do this to death In another thread:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Most people iknow only want the film they don't want all this digital and ultraviolet rubbish. Just a waste of money.

It doesn't cost that much (literally just hosting and printing off two sheets of paper), and it's an attempt at combating piracy. Perhaps, not a very good one, but at least they've started trying...
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I just start sentences and whole posts with "so" as it makes me look trendy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I just start sentences and whole posts with "so" as it makes me look trendy.

What does that have to do with the topic? I don't think you'll find a criticise someone's wording board around here sorry!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats the view of most people especially those who are considering going blu ray. Once the studios wake up and smell the coffee and drop these multi format sets for a decent priced blu ray only, then the market will take off.
    And now they have taken out the DVD and replaced it with the ultraviolet copy (well a bit of paper) then its even worse value then it was before.

Removing the DVD extras from the DVD version is a total con, I wont feed this con and will be renting the blu ray rather then buying to make a stand, would advise others to do the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont think 15 quid for a blu ray is acceptable really.

The fact it contains a bit of paper allowing you to download a digital copy is neither here nor there for most people, its still 15 quid for a blu ray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The fact it contains a bit of paper allowing you to download a digital copy is neither here nor there for most people, its still 15 quid for a blu ray.

Yeah who wants a download?people pay good money they want a proper copy on a proper disc
    Forum Member

It only £3 more expensive than the last new release DVD I brought...

And it's TWO pieces of paper actually.... [That was a joke before you respond seriously]
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    100% in agreement about ultraviolet and digital copies being a total con.

But the gap between a new DVD and a new Blu-Ray isn't all that big now, the price of Blu-ray on the whole is heading in the right direction.