If you fell or got thrown overboard, how well would you be able to cope?

Jason PerlowJason Perlow Posts: 27
Forum Member
If you either fell or got thrown overboard from a ship, how well do you reckon that you would be able to cope and be a good enough swimmer until some sort of help arrives, for example another ship going past?

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having been on a ferry I have to say the sea is damn scary and can see how people can be swallowed up by it even if they can swim quite well.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends entirely on what sea it was and whether it was a busy enough shipping lane.

If it was the English channel, I reckon I could swim to the closest shore, considering I couldn't be much more than ten miles away from one of them.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All depends on weather.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would drown. I don't like deep water and get palpitations if the bath is too deep, so I wouldn't cope at all.
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The overwhelming majority of people wouldn't cope, and would die rather quickly. Ships don't turn round and go back for anybody who's gone overboard, and in the vast majority of cases if anybody goes overboard it would be where it's much, much, much too far to swim to dry land. Even if you fell overboard in the middle of the English channel, unless you were a suitably prepared, well-trained endurance swimmer with a rescue team close by every step of the way you'd be dead within minutes.

Sorry to urinate on anybody's chips and all that, but that's the way it is.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be terrified - always had a fear of deep water even though I can swim. Love to go snorkelling in clear coves where you can see the seabed beneath, but daren't go too far into the murky depths.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Given that you'd probably go into shock after about 2 minutes in anything except a tropical sea, you wouldn't have to worry about being a strong swimmer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I would swim. ;)
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't fancy my chances in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-HaTWIznGE
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd throw you a concrete lifebelt OP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if its been at least an hour since I'd last eaten.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Depends entirely on what sea it was and whether it was a busy enough shipping lane.

If it was the English channel, I reckon I could swim to the closest shore, considering I couldn't be much more than ten miles away from one of them.

Not unless you'd covered yourself in goose fat or wear a precautionary wet suit at all times when you travel you wouldn't :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't fancy my chances in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-HaTWIznGE

That was ace. Last bit was mental.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    If you either fell or got thrown overboard from a ship, how well do you reckon that you would be able to cope and be a good enough swimmer until some sort of help arrives, for example another ship going past?

Depending on the water temperature and currents, I would hope that I'd be OK. Say, provided that the water temperature was 18 Celsius or more, and provided I was within eight kilometres or so of shore, I think I'd be able to make it. At say 13C, I might be in trouble even if I was only a kilometre or two from the shore.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Given that you'd probably go into shock after about 2 minutes in anything except a tropical sea, you wouldn't have to worry about being a strong swimmer.

My cold shock response is much reduced. I swam in 5C water without a wetsuit over the new year, and didn't experience any noticeable shock, e.g. no hyperventilation/gasping. I was definitely in there a bit more than two minutes, but not much longer. At that temperature, I would not be able to swim anywhere near a full kilometre. There are people I know who are much more resistant to the cold than me and who could swim much longer and further than me in even colder temperatures.

Edit: I looked up the Brighton sea temperature, and despite it being a temperate, not tropical, sea, the temperature is above 10C for much of the year. And over 15C for a bit of the year. At 15C or higher, even those not acclimatised should last a while before becoming hypothermic.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Not unless you'd covered yourself in goose fat or wear a precautionary wet suit at all times when you travel you wouldn't :eek:

I've surfed in a lot colder, for a lot longer than it'd take to swim ten miles but I did have a wet suit on, so perhaps I'm being a bit ambitious there.

You'd have to give it a go though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've surfed in a lot colder, for a lot longer than it'd take to swim ten miles but I did have a wet suit on, so perhaps I'm being a bit ambitious there.

lol, well indeed :D
    Forum Member

I wonder how much distance you get doing a stroke like, say, elementary backstroke after hypothermia has weakened a swimmer to the point where they can't do anything else.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every time you come back you keep starting loads of threads.

WHY WHY WHY?????????????
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Depending on the water temperature and currents, I would hope that I'd be OK. Say, provided that the water temperature was 18 Celcius or more, and provided I was within eight kilometres or so of shore, I think I'd be able to make it. At say 13C, I might be in trouble even if I was only a kilometre or two from the shore.

I think the first and biggest issue would be get far away enough to avoid getting hit by one of the ship's propellers.
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    The overwhelming majority of people wouldn't cope, and would die rather quickly. Ships don't turn round and go back for anybody who's gone overboard, and in the vast majority of cases if anybody goes overboard it would be where it's much, much, much too far to swim to dry land. Even if you fell overboard in the middle of the English channel, unless you were a suitably prepared, well-trained endurance swimmer with a rescue team close by every step of the way you'd be dead within minutes.

Sorry to urinate on anybody's chips and all that, but that's the way it is.

They do if they're aware of someone going overboard.

"P&O confirmed that the woman fell overboard on Friday evening, when a major search operation was immediately ordered, but it remained unclear last night why she had fallen."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2210417/Body-British-woman-recovered-fell-overboard-P-O-Cruise-liner-Aurora.html#ixzz2LNjWRoGa
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    I would drown. I don't like deep water and get palpitations if the bath is too deep, so I wouldn't cope at all.

haha same as me. I also panic if I'm having a shower and I get water in my face. I prefer a shower with a detachable head or else I feel like I'm drowning :o
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably eaten by a shark:cry:
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    haha same as me. I also panic if I'm having a shower and I get water in my face. I prefer a shower with a detachable head or else I feel like I'm drowning :o

Sorry if I'm following up your joking comment in an over-serious fashion, but people do drown due to panic. Sometimes in water shallow enough that if they had control of their senses, they could just stand up and walk out.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm following up your joking comment in an over-serious fashion, but people do drown due to panic. Sometimes in water shallow enough that if they had control of their senses, they could just stand up and walk out.

Please don't tell me I could really drown in the shower :cry:
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Please don't tell me I could really drown in the shower :cry:

It has happened. http://tech.mit.edu/V117/N45/accident.45n.html