The Daily Mail's obsession with Honey Boo Boo

Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's even worse than their obsession with Suri Cruise, and is that saying something or what!

Every single day there is an article on this child and her family and I am at a total loss as to why. I've seen an episode of her TV show and I can't believe these people would mean anything most people in the UK so why are they featured day in, day out?

The Mail online's fixation on this lot is the most bizarre thing I've seen! Someone tell me they are getting paid to promote them...at least then it would make some sort of sense.

I find it so completely bewildering even so though.

Comments

• karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of Honey Boo Boo. Whose kid is that?
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of Honey Boo Boo. Whose kid is that?

Google is your friend. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I like the South Park spoof of Honey Boo Boo. :p

http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=Zoli_9sQU8s

I think the DM are paid to write articles about certain celebrities, eg the Saturdays are always on the site.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen, so it is an ordinary kid with too much make up. I thought someone had given her that as her real name and she had a pop star mum or something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    i must say ive never clicked on an article about them on the mail but know that they are massive in usa so they are just catering for the usa readers...have to remember daily mail website is sadly 1 of the most popular global websites so american crap is present just as much as english rubbish - chantelle etc!
  • hello_mumhello_mum Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=starbar1;62155710]i must say ive never clicked on an article about them on the mail but know that they are massive in usa so they are just catering for the usa readers...have to remember daily mail website is sadly 1 of the most popular global websites so american crap is present just as much as english rubbish - chantelle etc![/QUOTE]

Liar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    hello_mum wrote: »
    Liar.

how rude. what are you calling me a liar in relation to then?
  • WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honey Boo Boo is hilarious.

Its just a car crash waiting to happen. The mother is horrific, for some reason Honey Boo Boo thinks its attractive for a beauty queen to show off her overweight belly, and then there is her special juice, which is either energy drinks or possibly alcohol due to her slurred speech

Just imagine something off Big Fat Gypsy Weddings but worse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9nF82fcryY

I'm not surprised the Daily Mail is obsessed, the family is exactly the sort of one readers love to look down their noses at, and bemoan the state of society. Perfect fodder for the average DM reader
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never even heard of Honey Boo Boo before the DM became obsessed with her. And what a stupid name to give a child. Why do they constantly write stories about American reality stars who nobody in the UK has heard of or even cares about?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some of the Daily Wails' obsessions are paid for - e.g. They had a month or so of Zoey Deschannel every day in "The Sidebar of Shame" last year.
    Some though I think are what is big in the US which I suspect explains the Honey BooBoo thing - the Wail Online is very big in the US for some reason.
    Not sure about their massive overload on the Cardassians - a mix of both I expect with a nice dose of "All Grown Up" for the younger ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    hello_mum wrote: »
    Liar.

Shocking way to speak to people :mad:
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starbar1 wrote: »
    i must say ive never clicked on an article about them on the mail but know that they are massive in usa so they are just catering for the usa readers...have to remember daily mail website is sadly 1 of the most popular global websites so american crap is present just as much as english rubbish - chantelle etc!

Yes, exactly that. It's all revenue. It's an international news/gossip website and caters for a global audience and all the crap that global audiences watch/are interested in/like to sneer at. You only have to look at the comments to see how widely read the DM site is.

Bit mystifying why people seem to think it's just geared towards a UK readership...
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wryip wrote: »
    Honey Boo Boo is hilarious.

Its just a car crash waiting to happen. The mother is horrific, for some reason Honey Boo Boo thinks its attractive for a beauty queen to show off her overweight belly, and then there is her special juice, which is either energy drinks or possibly alcohol due to her slurred speech

Just imagine something off Big Fat Gypsy Weddings but worse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9nF82fcryY

I'm not surprised the Daily Mail is obsessed, the family is exactly the sort of one readers love to look down their noses at, and bemoan the state of society. Perfect fodder for the average DM reader

Car crash WAITING to happen??? It's happened hasn't it? Just look at them both in photos.
    Good grief. They're like something escaped from the circus :sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a stupid name to give a child.

Her real name is Alana Thompson.

I feel deeply embarrassed for knowing even that much! :o
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They write about her to make their own white trash readership feel a bit better about themselves.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,908
    Forum Member
    I'd never even heard of Honey Boo Boo before the DM became obsessed with her. And what a stupid name to give a child. Why do they constantly write stories about American reality stars who nobody in the UK has heard of or even cares about?

I would imagine that it's because most of America are bored with them and they need a new market for their non-existent talents...

I do find the DMs fascination with children a little weird.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I do find the DMs fascination with children a little weird.

It is seriously creepy and disturbing. Maybe the people investigating the BBC in light of the Saville scandal should take a look at some of those working for the Mail while they're at it.
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of her before I read this thread so I googled her...... I have seen that picture of her and her glam mother before (where they are dressed in pink sparkly get ups) on lots of joke things.... I didn't realise she was known I just thought it was a random picture doing the rounds.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen, so it is an ordinary kid with too much make up. I thought someone had given her that as her real name and she had a pop star mum or something.

She was made a star on the child beauty pagent shows..see "Toddlers and Tiaras" Her routine consisted on dressing like a baby hooker, showing off the belly fat and being hyper active because her hugely obese mother gave her "go-go juice" and combination of Red Bull and Mountain Dew..so pumping a six year old full of caffine and sugar. She is the youngest child, actually named Alana. The eldest child will soon be a teenage mother.They are a proud redneck family from Georgia..
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was one of Jamie Oliver's kids til someone mentioned it on the Emma Chawner thread - so I watched an episode - what a spoilt little brat!

Though at least Daddy bear or whatever he's called works 7 days a week to keep them in Skittles, fizzy juice, McD's and sparkly outfits. Kid pulls a strop if she doesnt win a contest - they are setting her up for a huge fall in life.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is seriously creepy and disturbing. Maybe the people investigating the BBC in light of the Saville scandal should take a look at some of those working for the Mail while they're at it.

I agree. Reporting on silly little kids like this should not be in a newspaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    I like the South Park spoof of Honey Boo Boo. :p

http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=Zoli_9sQU8s

I think the DM are paid to write articles about certain celebrities, eg the Saturdays are always on the site.

Love the way the mother calls it trashy? Has she not watched her own show?
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, it's weird. Celeb culture is exploitative enough, don't use children.

She seems happy enough, even though everyone is laughing at her.
    I do admire the tremendous lack of self-awareness (despite being in beauty pageants) and that she is being herself. I just hope it doesn't turn in to something worse when she gets older.
    One thing though, beauty pageants can't be accused of being sexual as much if they use little fat kids :D
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never seen the episode of Toddlers and Tiaras with her on. :(
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,128
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    I thought it was one of Jamie Oliver's kids til someone mentioned it on the Emma Chawner thread - so I watched an episode - what a spoilt little brat!

Though at least Daddy bear or whatever he's called works 7 days a week to keep them in Skittles, fizzy juice, McD's and sparkly outfits. Kid pulls a strop if she doesnt win a contest - they are setting her up for a huge fall in life.

She'll probably die of a heart attack before she's even a teenager with all the crap she consumes:eek: