How to move goldfish when moving house?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wonder if anyone has any tips for me. We are moving house from Central Scotland to the South of England (sussex) and I have 3 little goldfish in a tank. Does anyone have any idea how I should transport them for up to 10 hours in the car? I have considered finding them a new home and replacing them when we arrive at our new destination but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Any helpful advice would be great! Thanks. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd just put them in a large tub with a lid, and try to find a relatively calm (as in not over the wheel arch or flying around the boot!) place to put them.

Can someone hold them whilst you're driving?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    When you are putting them in the tub, use the water from their tank.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some sort of container with sealable lid and have a few holes in the top ?

this is just a guess
  • firehawk1firehawk1 Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    place them in the window water thingy in the engine :p
    just kidding!

As suggested, I would probably (remember...ive never had a pet in my life!) put them in a reasonable sized tub with some holes and the water from the tub and place it somewhere which wont cause a spill or something. Perhaps some see through glass container or something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, some sort of large plastic box, preferably see-through or they won't get the light that they are used to, with plenty of holes in the lid. If possible, somebody should hold the box while travelling. Don't fill it up too much in order to avoid spilling the water and, as someone already mentioned, make sure you use their water from the tank in the box so that it's familiar and the change of environment doesn't stress them out too much.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I transported my single fish in a thoroughly washed out, giant sized, plastic milk carton. I cut holes out near the top, filled it halfway with water from his tank, a pinch of food and wrapped a towel around the bottom (to steady it) and placed it in a strong bag. He was fine for a 2 hour trip, but needed frequent looking at and someone to hold the bag upright. I'm not saying do exactly this for a 10 hour journey but if you can find a similar plastic container and make enough air-holes in it, and stand it inside something steady, your 3 will be OK. For added security, I stood the carton inside a small plastic bowl and took a bottle of water with me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can transport them inside my cats if you like.....
  • firehawk1firehawk1 Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that aint nice! :(
    perhaps we will transport you inside a lion! lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I transported my single fish in a thoroughly washed out, giant sized, plastic milk carton. I cut holes out near the top, filled it halfway with water from his tank, a pinch of food and wrapped a towel around the bottom (to steady it) and placed it in a strong bag. He was fine for a 2 hour trip, but needed frequent looking at and someone to hold the bag upright. I'm not saying do exactly this for a 10 hour journey but if you can find a similar plastic container and make enough air-holes in it, and stand it inside something steady, your 3 will be OK. For added security, I stood the carton inside a small plastic bowl and took a bottle of water with me!

Yup that is pretty similar to what i did.
    I got a 6 pint milk carton, put them in their own water and gave them a bit of food. They survived the 4 hour drive just sat in a box in the boot :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some experience in moving fish - the most awkward being a five foot tank full of fish, some of them quite large!

Try and go to your nearest fish shop, and ask them for a polystyrene box that their fish are delivered in, and some of the larger plastic bags they sell fish in.

Use water from the tank to half-fill a bag, pop a fish in and tie the top so there's lots of air trapped in the bag as well as the water. Put the bags in the box and pack in with newspaper so they can't roll around.

Don't put any food in - it will pollute the small amount of water on the journey. The box will ensure that the fish are in the dark so they'll be less stressed, and the polystyrene will keep the temperature fairly constant - not such a worry for goldfish as opposed to tropicals but it's still a good idea as varying temperatures will stress even goldfish.

Make the tank the first thing you set up when you get to your new place, and all should be fine. I've transported fish like this for varying distances and never had any problems.

Hope it all goes well - moving is stressful!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you really emotionally attatched to your goldfish?

If not, just flush them down the toilet and buy some new ones when you get there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NanTaylor wrote: »

If not, just flush them down the toilet and buy some new ones when you get there.

LOL! Careful.. FH will tell you off!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    NanTaylor wrote: »

Hilarious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my freind moved house last year I sat in the back of his mums car going 130 down the m40 with the smallish fish tank on my lap for an hour. Had to get changed when we got there bu the fish survived!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL :D

Thanks guys for all your helpful (and not so helpful :D ) answers!

I think the 6 pint milk carton is a really good idea, I would imagine you get less spillage!

I will ask in the local garden centre (where i bought them from) and see if they have any of those boxes though, that sounds like a good idea.

Only had the fish for about 3 months, so no, not emotionally attached! However I think I would rather give them to a friend to keep than flush them down the crapper! :D